Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I wish we had an alphabet (of the Speech)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wish we had an alphabet (of the Speech)

I mean i'm not trying to obssess but like Rysade said I'm Also addicted to being addicted; (Anime,comics,movies,the matrix,music,books, and all sorts of things. I know that poor Diane would probably get emails from people translating and stuff...But... there are many things that would be cool about amazing your friends that have read it or giving somone a note written in the speech...(id like to see my language teacher decipher that!) And i bet a ton of people would love it... So Pleeze?

"If time has a heart it's because other hearts stop. -Book of Night with Moon

I mean i'm not trying to obssess but like Rysade said I'm Also addicted to being addicted; (Anime,comics,movies,the matrix,music,books, and all sorts of things. I know that poor Diane would probably get emails from people translating and stuff...But... there are many things that would be cool about amazing your friends that have read it or giving somone a note written in the speech...(id like to see my language teacher decipher that!) And i bet a ton of people would love it... So Pleeze?

Comment

But since the Speech seems to have a representational orthography instead of a phonetic one (which makes sense, since most of the things that "speak" it can't speak), an alphabet wouldn't be appropriate.

And I think Diane has better things to do than create hundreds of thousands of concept-symbols.

To be wise, learn foolishness. To be strong, learn weakness. To know joy, learn sorrow.
      Logic is a poor servant, but an excellent master.
      Forget science fiction: other people are the ultimate aliens.

Comment

Be cool if she did, though. *sighs wistfully* I'd love to learn the Speech. I love learning different languages, anyway, but learning the language of all things would be beyond awesome.

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?

Curiosity mauled the cat and left it on the side of the road.
        I will rejoice in the moonlight;
        I will dance in the rivers of my tears;
        For I am joyously, wonderfully alive!

Make your own laws or be a slave to another man's. -William Blake

School is hell with flourescent lighting.

Comment

you are all right but i still think that we should beg for dear life for the symbols

Comment

Comment

Well, see that's why we won't get much vocab and symbols. Because the idea behind the Speech is that everything can understand it, making up a whole bunch of words won't work. Sure, we could learn them, and be strange and exclusive the way Tolkien fanatics who learn Elviah are.... but no-one else will udnerstand, which sort of defeats the purpose.

But it would be cool. If it was real.
              T

"We are philosophical geniuses [sic] who will one day rule the world!"
              --Agent M
              Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
              Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

well people on the site would understand it...but no one else.....I know the words...hello,good-bye and cousin..and those are so basic..even if DD could tell us a few prases it would be ....*daydreams*..oh um yeah...wonderful...*starts skipping and singing mary had a little lamb*

......moose?.....um green?.........oh yes CHEESE!!!....
                I have difficulties with Gravity.

Comment

I know it would defeat the purpose but it would bee soooooo cool that i would do anything (almost) to get my hands on a real manual with how to learn the speech inside....ohhhh how cool that would be...

"If time has a heart it's because other hearts stop.
                  -Book of Night with Moon

Comment

I think that Diane should make a pronuncial dictionary of all of the Speech. It's a good idea to make an alphabet (of words), too.

#1 Dolphin Lover=arteangel=Dolhin Lover #1
                    "The moon may change hope if you give the faith."
                    - arteangel

"The presence of a dolphin is the presence of a miracle."
                    - arteangel

If you need help with anything regarding dolphins, the moon, or mythology, give me a buzz through a privat

Comment

but she already made up a few words like, hello, goodbye, cousin, go well, etc etc.
                      So why not just a few conversational words to?? then at least we, the forum (like we, the people of the united states of america....
                      nevermind)can talk a little in the Speech. I think that would be cool.... Just a few more words so we can talk. How about it, DD?? *looks up at the computer moniter hopefully*
                      Please?? for all of us??

~*KsSk8er*~
                      Hogwarts Dropout
                      "She leaped off the table and tore into the living room. There was a brief sound of scrabbling, and then from the living room, Kit said, "Uh, Annie, your cat just went up the chimney..."
                      Dai Stiho
                      ~*KsSk8er*~
                      "She leaped off the table and tore into the living room. There was a brief sound of scrabbling, and then from the living room, Kit said, "Uh, Annie, your cat just went up the chimney..."
                      Dai Stiho:grin&bounce:

Comment

No, but I mean, that's the point. the Speech is an inclusive language by its very nature: it's the Language of Life itself, as I believe it mentions several times. On some level, everyone understands it: what's the point in creating this exclusive little language so you and me can have a conversation and not be understood? When the whole point of the language is understanding? I really don't like the idea. Let's leave the magic as it is!

"We are philosophical geniuses [sic] who will one day rule the world!"
                        --Agent M
                        Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
                        Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Yeah, I don't want to have a guide for it either. Mostly because it would ruin the magic for me. The purpose of the speech is that everything can understand it and at least spoke it at one point in their lives (i think it mentions this in the first book when Nita is speaking with the rowan(sp?)tree). It would ruin the point of the Speech, which is that it isn't exclusive to anyone, everyone has the oppurtunity to continue using it if they wish too. Besides what makes it great is that the language is a mystery. I agree with Birdhead.

" Duct tape, the stuff that holds the universe together."A Wizard Alone by Diane Duane
                          - Serena

Comment

Working...
                          X