Minor language query (Ailurin)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor language query (Ailurin)

Just out of curiosity. Is the Ailurin word "ffeih" (neutered) a deliberate play on "fey"?

-Tabby
    the princess with claws

Just out of curiosity. Is the Ailurin word "ffeih" (neutered) a deliberate play on "fey"?

-Tabby
    the princess with claws

Comment

Do not know. Define 'fey'

"If you can't find the key to happiness, pick the lock"

Comment

It usually means delicate and ethereal, perhaps fairylike, but it's also slang for "effeminate."

-Tabby
        the princess with claws

Comment

Maybe also a bit indecisive- a little like fairies, they never make up their mind, and so they're untrustworthy (I mean faries in an "Up the airy mountain" sense, obviously) In fact, fey is a word I associate with the Olde Englishe, "Little Folk" faries, in a very definite way. That said, no, I don't see at al; how ffeih relates!! Enlighten?
          Ka Kite
          Tui

Tuibird in Aotearoa
          Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
          Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
          *sob* back to school....*sob*
          My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
          Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Fey is, to be blunt, sometimes an eiuffimism (I can't spell!!) for being gay. young boys were sometimes called fey if they had more effiminate attitues, or appeared sexless. The last is where it might be realated to ffeih. Who knows? M'lady Duane may have just typed words until it sounded right, not relizing the homophonic qualities.

Go well in peace,
            Esthanya Lynni O'lanan
            Go well in peace,
            Esthanya Lynni O'Lanan

Comment

Mmm... depends on context, I guess. I think the spelling you're looking for is euphemism, by the way...
              T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
              Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
              Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
              Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
              My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
              Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
              Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

The Fey refers to the fairy people as well. Of course, the word fairy has the same double meaning. Let's look it up!

Ahh, weirder and broader than I thought it would be. from Webster's Dictionary of the English Language, 2nd Edition, published 1974:

Fey adj. 1.[archaic or Scot.] a) orig., fated; doomed to death b) in an unusually excited or gay state, formerly beleived to portend sudden death 2.

Comment

hmmm...interesting...

Go well in peace,
                  Esthanya Lynni O'Lanan
                  Go well in peace,
                  Esthanya Lynni O'Lanan

Comment

Working...
                  X