No announcement yet.

The Speech: why not publish a glossary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Speech: why not publish a glossary?

This quuestion has come in my mind and I want to know why DD doesn't publish a book that tells us all about the Speech an d how to pronounce each word. (FOR ALL OF THE REAL FANS) It would help a lot or she can print out a manual so that we can refer to it while reading the books.

The problem being the speech is an extremely complex language. She would have to take into account how to describe everything, even things for which there are no English words. Any effort she made would not be good enough, which would ruin the magic of the speech. Basically, good idea, impossible task.

Though a pronounciation guide by itself would be nice.

Yours till the bed spreads,
    Rowen Avalon
    mysites/ravensiggys/constitutionality
    Rowen Avalon

"I told you she was going to turn you into a soggy beermat. No one ever listens to me." - Jonny, AWAb (My fav moment!)
    "IB helps you with stress management. It throws all this stress at you and says, 'Manage it!' Then you have your b

Comment

She said in the chat on Saturday/Sunday (depending on your respective timezone!) that she didn't want to put down a lot of the Speech, because it couldn't really be annotated, and it would detract from it. (or something like it. My memory is very bad) I can't remember her exact reasoning, but if I was justifying it, I would say that, since the Speech is not really a language like Quenya or whatever, it's more of a concept- the ultimate language of Life, which everything can understand- trying to make up her own personal version would sort of sully the concept- because, face it, no-one could actually make up a language everyone and everything instinctively understands, unless they really did come by it through wizardry. (DD did NOT say this, this is just me thinking about it, I might have this all wrong.)
      So that's what I think... and a manual probably isn't forthcoming (unfortunately! )
      Ka Kite
      tui

Tuibird in Aotearoa
      Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
      Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
      *sob* back to school....*sob*
      My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
      Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Actually, Birdhead, Quenya (i finally spelled it right!!!!!) is EXTREMELY complicated. it is probobly just as structured as the speech would be if diane came up with it. it's taking me forever to learn (thouht not as long as spanish)
        and on the manual... that STINKS you can get books that tech you how to play quidditch and how to write, not speak, quenya, and all sonrt of stuff, but no manual, that stinks, but you can't have everything in life, o well..... just use SYWTBAW and your imagination, and a verb... because, well.... it's what you do.
        ;P

A message to the snow gods: remember 1996? 6 ft. of snow? i got off school for a week, so THINK BACK!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!! I"M ROOTING FOR YA!!!!
        If one is a TRUE book lover, one cannot have a favorite book. It would be an insult to all the other books you have read and loved.
        http://www.avidgamers.com/WWOHP/
        PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
        Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

On the other hand, I think that the quidditch manual kind of ruined things. It doesn't cover everything related to Quidditch and to me has always felt a little rushed...

The speech would be more than complex. It would be impossible! What's Quenya?

Yours till the bed spreads,
          Rowen Avalon
          mysites/ravensiggys/constitutionality
          Rowen Avalon

"I told you she was going to turn you into a soggy beermat. No one ever listens to me." - Jonny, AWAb (My fav moment!)
          "IB helps you with stress management. It throws all this stress at you and says, 'Manage it!' Then you have your b

Comment

Quenya is the "High Elven" language that Tolkien invented and used in Lord of the Rings. (There's also a second, more commonly spoken Elvish called Sindarin.) And, yes, it's quite complex - but no moreso than any real, natural human language. The Speech would have to be quite a bit worse, and there's no natural language that could serve as an adeuqate model (as Finnish and others did for Quenya)...

As a linguistics geek, I'd be very eager for any more Diane wants to tell us about the grammar and structure of the Speech, but a comprehensive grammar would certainly be impossible. A pronunciation guide could work - but keep in mind there's almost certainly no one definitive pronunciation; can you imagine how different the accents of humans, cats, whales and a couple million species of extraterrestrials must be?

Comment

You all have very good ideas and even though it sounds impossible it should be done. Maybe DD can post a site on the website so as we can invent the words and she can review it and if it's good enough post it. Therefore when it's all finished we can print it out and have our own personal manuals. We all can help make the manual and even come up with some spells for it.

Comment

Hey, that would be a really cool idea! And why are you all trying to learn Quenya? Sindarin is easier and it sounds just as pretty.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
                Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Comment

It would be entirely to complex though it would be extreamly useful!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wiz-chick
                    It would be entirely to complex though it would be extreamly useful!!!

Comment

I do not think printing the Speech in a book would be a good idea. Even if DD did, it would be huge, I maen the language of all life? The manual would be pretty cool though.

"Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them."
                      -Walter Kerr

Comment

is Quenya a real language or not??

I'M JUST POSTING NOW TO BOOST MY TOTAL!!

Sorry.
                        Perry-Jupitarian AND Moo-Priest. ask me about it....

Comment

Comment

Mmm... I think it kinda counts as a real language, but as Rysade said, it didn't develope, it was designed by Tolkien.
                            T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
                            Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
                            Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
                            Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
                            My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
                            Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
                            Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

o thankx.
                              ..99 posts now!!! soon to be 100!!right after I push that Post button...hey, by the way, notice that I did it in 4 days...it's gotta be a record!!WAHOO!!!!!!
                              The Nepturnian,
                              Perry

Comment

Working...
                              X