Please Read This 4 Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Read This 4 Me

We all know how complicated speech is. I have a theory that goes along with it. I've been thinking about what Chris McFarland was saying. Speech seems to be a giant math equation, especially when putting it into a spell.
    I believe that when you say one word of speech in a spell, you must have the other. For instance, if Nita was to make up some spell to take out the garbage, she can't just say 'garbage' in speech, and expect something to happen.
    That's why I think that not only speech is a math equation, but a giant grammmar problem too. Think about it, you can't have a proper sentence with one or two words. You must have the subject (noun) and predicate (action). Same with speech.
    So I sugguest if you aren't that good at English and are interested in exploring Speech, you better tidy up on that!
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein
    "Dreaming is the first step, doing is the second."
    "Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." Helen Kelller
    I am very evil...Mua,ha,ha,ha!

I've always gone with the "computer programming" analogy for spells in the Speech. You have to get the syntax and the logic and the symbols right--you have to think out every step of how what's going to happen is going to happen, and write it as precisely and unambiguously as possible.

I sometimes worry a little about Dari learning recursion...
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

@kli6: "I sometimes worry a little about Dari learning recursion..." <-- LOL!

@sportzgr101: The quote for that is in "So You Want to Be a Wizard". It's in my editon on page 59. The passage reads:

Kit was already squinting at Nita's squiggles, so she pulled out her book again and began looking at the symbols Kit had drawn in the dirt. There were clearly two sides to the diagram, and the book said they both had to balance like a chemical equation. Most of the symbols had numerical values attached, for ease in balancing, and Nita started doing addition in her head, making sure both sides matched. Eventually she was satisfied.
      This is the part before Nita and Kit do their first spell together. (For those of you who want to find it in their books and don't see it on p59.)

Comment

Sometimes I wonder about the Speech as a language, and then I think about why is that Earth doesn't really have a continental language that EVERYONE knows. How is it that after a while people get used to the speech? I wish that it really was a continental language.
        --
        Latin is a perfect example of what I mean
        I actually love Latin, and I wish that when I was younger I knew it existed, but sadly I never took any classes. My mom told me not to take it. How did Latin really die as a language anyway?
        --
        And thanks to that OH GREAT DESIRE ~Darn It~ now we have independent languages. Guess they got their wish
        --
        I wish our world was like Alaalu. You know, no government, but somehow people still managed to get along, but we should still be able to develop. I mean there has to be way for a people to develop without having to truly hurt another sentient species in the process.
        --
        LOL Okay mr. prez, what' the first thing you would do then?
        --
        Yes, and NO! Work on the education too. make it unnecessary for people to learn classes that they won't ever excel in. I wish I could take only medical classes. That's all I want to do.
        --
        haha! Phil of the future! That's a good investment Mr. P.
        --
        Yay!! Another LATIN lover! I want to create a program that would officially help world hunger.
        Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; January 17, 2009, 12:05:12 AM. Reason: merging one-liners
        Magic exists everywhere you look because you choose to see it. Magic exists inside of me because I welcome it. Magic and energy are one and the same. Energy and magic will always exist.

Comment

When i think of the speach i think of latin. it WAS a continental language at one point, sadly it is becoming forgoten...
          --
          When the roman empire fell i think latin sort of consolidated all the european people into one, and i think they wanted a little more independence.
          --
          Ya. i can't help that think had rome survived we wouldn't have so many wars because we wouldn't have so many independent countries. sometimes i wish the world was one big country*gazes wistfully at the world map and all its colors*
          --
          I want that too but with an organized government, and a bit more advanced techknowledgy.
          Also if this world could make me the head of it's executive branch it would be perfect
          --
          Expand our planet(s) we would invest tons of money into the space program and other advanced tech. and tons into the economicle program(s) then we would look for other life and help them on their way. I think thats enough for one term of office don't you??? LOL
          --
          NO better yet like a helmet that teaches you everything you need to know!
          --
          lol i used to watch that show! and i would make the official language be LATIN!
          --
          hmm you could dump them on a planet and say fend for yourselves couldn't you? the bums and what not?
          Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; January 17, 2009, 12:04:05 AM. Reason: merging one-liners
          It is better to die on your feat then to live a life on your knees-Emiliano Zapata.
          That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.-dad

Comment

Ahem.

One liners and a page of posts that have nothing to do with the topic?

tisk.
            "at least i thought it was a wall. It sure felt like one. It was hard, it was flat. It stretched out on either side of me. You know... wall." -Bobby Pendragon

Comment

We are back on back off the topic so while you are here would you care to tell us what your favorite ancient language is. OR what the speach means to you. And another thing yelling at us??? you could have pm'd us... no need to get off topic Z...
              It is better to die on your feat then to live a life on your knees-Emiliano Zapata.
              That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.-dad

Comment

*sniffs*

That's really not the way you talk to some one who's got more experience in these forums than you.... JK.

I am just making my point. It's bad enough that you were off topic in one thread, much less, like, four topics!
                "at least i thought it was a wall. It sure felt like one. It was hard, it was flat. It stretched out on either side of me. You know... wall." -Bobby Pendragon

Comment

Agreed. Keep it up, and your post counts might be zeroed, or I might start handing out infractions. Board discussions should be for all members of the board. Private one-on-one discussions are better held in private messages or email. Remember that DD's paying for the bandwidth. Is what you posted really worth her money to save, archive, and make searchable? Is it about YW?
                  Last edited by Kathy Li; January 16, 2009, 11:52:20 PM.
                  New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

...or other mods might figure out how the moderation queue works, and shove you into it.

Just sayin'.
                    "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

LOL ok on topic in TOGR. No worries, sorry Madame Kat, and the same to you Advisory G. I apologize on the behalf of light-hearted Wiccangixies everywhere. (Basically every single one of my obsessively placed messages) Septy and I are extremely sorry. Oh, and can YOU 2 do a favor for me? How do you feel about the Speech as a language and how universal languages are used. The same to you Lovely Z!! I'm curious to know what our Wonderful Advisors think
                      Magic exists everywhere you look because you choose to see it. Magic exists inside of me because I welcome it. Magic and energy are one and the same. Energy and magic will always exist.

Comment

Working...
                      X