Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the Speech's secret identity... revealed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the Speech's secret identity... revealed?

dw and awab elements combine with logic

i have decided to learn gaelage, and i, on a whim, looked up 'dia' and found it to be a real irish word! i then thought that if gaelic was the speech, wouldn't every irish-speaking person be a wizard or like carmela? the answer is no, because the speech doesn't work unless you know it does. (DW)
    Last edited by iwantwizpod3; April 14, 2009, 09:34:12 PM.

But wait there's more!...

I've heard that a lot of the words from the books a r coming from many diifernt languges

Oh and 1 more thing! Not 2 get off topic, but I need some help! My bro showed me the scary maze, where ur on the 2nd level and it's relly hard, then a face appears that is relly creepy, And THEN he shows me this movie where we fast 4ward through the whole thing and nothing happens! Then we play it... It's a nice beautifull landscape and u see a car driving bye and it's coming down this nice little road and it goes behind this tree and a dark black face then whooshed onto the screen from the side! But THEENN!(this is relly stupid how many times I'm being scared...). I get this app 4 my iPod and I'm reading the little description and it keeps saying that it is good to scar peeps and stuff. Of course, I'm not scared and I've 4gotten bout the scary maze incident and download. Then I strt playingit and a warning comes up saying Dont use this on little kids, preagnant women blah blah blah and I just go through the test thinking it's just(did I 4get 2 tell u 2 creep u out even mor it says in the beginning that u should wear earphones cuz it works better? Sick joke!) that it rings loudly on some beeps. So I'm on the part 2 of 2, 7 of 8 question and I click my last answer. All I hear in the headphones is screamming bloody murder with THE SAME GUY FROM THE SCARY MAZE!!!!!!!!! Now I'm pissed but so scared! Whenever I try 2 listen 2 music and I 4get 2 turn the volume up, I get in a teeny fetal postion with my stomach cuz of the quick loud burst of high pitched music! I have never been lime this b4 with scary stuff!! PLS SOMEBODDY HELP!!!!! I KNOW ITS OFF TOPIC BUT MY FAMILY WILL HAVE NO GOOD RECOMENDATIONS! PLS HELP ME BOOST MY CONFIDENCE!
    Last edited by chocolate101; April 14, 2009, 09:52:36 PM.
    (True,) the white hole said. (my name is Khairelikoblepharehglukumeilichephreidosd'enagooun i--) and at the same time he went flickering through a pattern of colors that was evidently the visual translation."Ky--elik" Nita began. "Fred," Kit said quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by chocolate101 View Post
      I've heard that a lot of the words from the books a r coming from many diifernt languges

Oh and 1 more thing! Not 2 get off topic, but I need some help! My bro showed me the scary maze, where ur on the 2nd level and it's relly hard, then a face appears that is relly creepy, And THEN he shows me this movie where we fast 4ward through the whole thing and nothing happens! Then we play it... It's a nice beautifull landscape and u see a car driving bye and it's coming down this nice little road and it goes behind this tree and a dark black face then whooshed onto the screen from the side! But THEENN!(this is relly stupid how many times I'm being scared...). I get this app 4 my iPod and I'm reading the little description and it keeps saying that it is good to scar peeps and stuff. Of course, I'm not scared and I've 4gotten bout the scary maze incident and download. Then I strt playingit and a warning comes up saying Dont use this on little kids, preagnant women blah blah blah and I just go through the test thinking it's just(did I 4get 2 tell u 2 creep u out even mor it says in the beginning that u should wear earphones cuz it works better? Sick joke!) that it rings loudly on some beeps. So I'm on the part 2 of 2, 7 of 8 question and I click my last answer. All I hear in the headphones is screamming bloody murder with THE SAME GUY FROM THE SCARY MAZE!!!!!!!!! Now I'm pissed but so scared! Whenever I try 2 listen 2 music and I 4get 2 turn the volume up, I get in a teeny fetal postion with my stomach cuz of the quick loud burst of high pitched music! I have never been lime this b4 with scary stuff!! PLS SOMEBODDY HELP!!!!! I KNOW ITS OFF TOPIC BUT MY FAMILY WILL HAVE NO GOOD RECOMENDATIONS! PLS HELP ME BOOST MY CONFIDENCE!
      I REALLY dislike how people type in "textese". Please, for the love of the One, people, PLEASE save the english language!

Comment

I REALLY dislike how people type in "textese". Please, for the love of the One, people, PLEASE save the english language!
        Agreed, it's very hard to read when what you're trying to say is all jumbled up with numbers and letters that don't really make real words.

Comment

Wow, is this going off of topic? Looks like it...

Iwantwizpod3: Yes, it is an Irish word! I am learning Gaelique for fun (I have Rosetta Stone) and it seems similar to the Speech words that have been mentioned. For example, "Dia Duit" (pronounced kinda like "Dee-ah gwit" almost), is a greeting. It is spelled very similarly to "Dai Stiho," in a way, and pretty much means the same thing.
          "Slan" which was used in AWAb, means "Bye" or "Goodbye," though I've also seen it used as a greeting once or twice.

It truly is a beautiful language, and it's a good idea to learn it. The spelling is easy to get used to, once you really try to learn it. How are you thinking of going about learning it? Rosetta Stone is good, so is Before You Know It, but that only teaches words, not grammar and phrases. Of course, BYKI is a free trial, so it's the less expensive option. Or there's the book "Learning Irish" which I have a copy of it, but it's a little bit old, and hard, since the pronunciation guide is a bit difficult to follow.

Jnemesh and imissroshaun: AMEN! I wish English was actually spoken as it was meant to be, again! An occasional "lol" or smileys, I can handle, but save the textese for actual texting! I get so sick of it... Haha, I get passionate about these subjects.

Chocolate101: That sounds interesting, but, no offense, the ToGR might be a better place for a post like that. The ToGR has no real point at all, but this topic is specific to what it is. I've found that topics make more sense when they're actually discussed.
          Last edited by kk; November 14, 2010, 03:39:24 PM.
          Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

irish

i am using a different book... Learning Irish, by somebody or other (i don't have it right now), but it is published by Yale University Press. isn't rosetta stone like, uber expensive? anyway, you can buy audio cassettes to go with it. i feel old now...

anyway, thanks kk.

for those of you not learning irish, Dia dhut means literally "God(which i enterpret to mean the One) go with you". my dad says it like Dia go brag

Dia gobrag, everyone

Comment

Yeah, Rosetta Stone is super expensive... but really worth it!

Learning Irish by Micheal O Siadhail, right? I have that... the pronunciation is a bit hard to get used to, at first. I don't have the audio tapes, though, so I bet those would make it easier.

Dath gorm ata ar an speir!
              Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

I'm teaching myself gaelic now. The verbs are easy peasy... it's the same no matter who's doing it.
                2 Saxy 4 u 2 Handel...

Comment

I am sorry! I didnt mean to scar the english language! I had just gotten back from aim and stuck in it! Sorry!
                  (True,) the white hole said. (my name is Khairelikoblepharehglukumeilichephreidosd'enagooun i--) and at the same time he went flickering through a pattern of colors that was evidently the visual translation."Ky--elik" Nita began. "Fred," Kit said quickly.

Comment

I, too, am trying to teach myself Irish Gaelic, for a few reasons (not least of which because I'll probably move to Ireland, and 31% (I think) of the population speaks fluent Gaelic). I have noticed that some of the words are similar to the Speech mentioned in canon. My main theory is that since the Powers have never left Ireland, and so much wizardly history is concentrated there, it is not surprising that the local language is very similar.

Slan go foihll (Go well for now)!
                    "People always learning, all through their life. Look at Mama Bird! She push baby bird out of nest, and that's it. If baby bird fly, good for baby! If baby bird fall, and crack head on ground, and get eaten by cat, it need to do better next time."
                    Slan go foihll! Dai, cousins!

Comment

Kindahttp://www.youngwizards.com/forums/images/smilies/face50.gif

Originally posted by SaxySullivan View Post
                      I'm teaching myself gaelic now. The verbs are easy peasy... it's the same no matter who's doing it.
                      Well... except for "we" (sometimes)...

Glad to find so many other Gaelic-learners!

Slan!
                      "People always learning, all through their life. Look at Mama Bird! She push baby bird out of nest, and that's it. If baby bird fly, good for baby! If baby bird fall, and crack head on ground, and get eaten by cat, it need to do better next time."
                      Slan go foihll! Dai, cousins!

Comment

Working...
                      X