The Speech Compared to Runes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Speech Compared to Runes

I know that this is a somewhat random topic, but recently I've been partially obsessed with runes, which made my mind think about the Speech. I had a thought, if you can use the Speech to make things, like a charm bracelet of spells for example, can you also use the Speech to create a rune too? What I'm really curious about is the nature of the letters of the Speech. Can the Speech become inscribed in an object too just like a rune can? A rune can be changed and augmented just like a character of the Speech, and sometimes I have a tendency to create new runes that I give new meanings too. In a way I think that Runes are a lot like the Speech. What do you think?

Also, does anyone know of any good books with info about runes? I'm trying to learn more about them, as well as the Celtic language and characters. Would love to know more!! Please write your opinions, recommendations, and heck even more about this theory if you would like Would love the company!!
    Magic exists everywhere you look because you choose to see it. Magic exists inside of me because I welcome it. Magic and energy are one and the same. Energy and magic will always exist.

I was just in Barnes and Noble the other day and they had a book of runes on sale... I like to spend hours in book stores and see what they have and sometimes they have all of the right stuff.

I think runes and Speech can have similar qualities, just as you said. I need to learn more about Runes... but sadly the best place to learn runes is Hogwarts and I was not accepted there...

When I have a steady teaching job and can afford to buy any book I want, I'll get back to you.
    2 Saxy 4 u 2 Handel...

Comment

I had compared the Speech to runes a long time ago... My uncle gave me The Book of Runes by Ralph Blum for my birthday one year, with a rune set included, and as I read that and the YW series, I saw some similarities when the characters were described.

Do you remember in SYWTBAW, when Nita writes a character after the Lone One's name, in the Book of Night with Moon? Doesn't it describe it as an 'arrow pointing upward' or something similar? There's a rune that looks an awful lot like that...
      Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

I'm sure there is. That's one of my favorite parts of SYWTBAW. It's been about 7 or 8 years between my first and second reading of the book and that was one of the few vivid memories I have of the book: the arrow pointing upwards. That and Fred's hiccaughs.
        2 Saxy 4 u 2 Handel...

Comment

The arrow pointing up is Tyr, rune of victory. Ralph Blum's book is great for the runes. The runes are called the Elder Futhark. A really interesting thing about them is that they were never meant to be spoken, just written. They were used to tell the future, record history, and even manipulate the world around you by the components that each rune represents.

Comment

Working...
          X