The Oath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Oath

It may seem off topic but Im a new member and have no idea were this belongs.
    I have treid the oath so many times and it doesn't seem to give me the feeling it does discribed in the book. I know it sounds stupid, but does anyone else wish that wiuzardry was really out there?

---

by the way, sorry about my spelling.

[edited to consolidate double-post. --kli.]
    "This is our shame-
    this is the whole Ocean's glory:
    this is the Song of the Twelve." (DW 316)

Hello Maddy!

1. I think that this was posted in the correct area, though I think there might be a similar topic here also.

2. You should probably edit your posts together, seeing as one-liners, and double-posting are not really enjoyed here.

3. Read the Board FAQ! That'll get you used to the rules around here.

4. On topic: I think everyone wishes that wizardry was real. I mean, how cool would it be to go to the moon? Or Mars? Or talk to trees? It would be awesome!
    Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

kk--glad you found the FAQ, but you might want to give folks a chance to find it first. I personally tend to go easy on anybody whose title is still "New Member" (<10 posts), and especially on folks making their first post.

Maddy, you're definitely not the only one. We've had a few threads on this before. I just wish my book would turn into a Manual. But it stubbornly remains this kids' book called So You Want To Be a Wizard?. Then again, I became a professional technical writer, and spend all my time writing manuals that teach people how to do cool things with cellphone processors, so maybe I did grow up to be something kind of like a wizard...
      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

I think most of us have tried to take the Oath at some point, I know I did. Several times. I was most hopeful then time I took it right before I went to Ireland, but that didn't work out the way I wanted it to. *sigh* I still wish it was true, but I've started noticing things which happen which suggest it could be- finding two similar bracelets laying where you're saying goodbye to a longtime friend, or how you get a bad feeling from a river when it's in danger of flooding. Those moments aren't quite the going to the moon-awesomeness which would be amazing, but they're enough to keep the hope alive, y'know?

On a slightly unrelated note, I recall at one point we all tried to come up with a "definitive" version of the Oath, since it changes in every book, to see if we could find one which would work. Then again, since it's a different experience for everyone, maybe making our own would work, rather than trying one made for someone else.
        PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
        Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

Personally, I think that in one way or another The Oath can be viewed as a personal choice that many enact on their own without even necessarily taking The Oath to begin with. Wizardry as a whole is something I wish could be found as a notice in our world, but as far as I can tell, we as people make things happen every day.
          Magic exists everywhere you look because you choose to see it. Magic exists inside of me because I welcome it. Magic and energy are one and the same. Energy and magic will always exist.

Comment

The oath, could be like every other choice in our life. Every choice we make is difference but it all leads to one thing, in the end, death. Each choice though, could make death wait a bit longer or come closer to us. The oath, in my sight, makes death stay away longer. Not your own personal death but the universes death.
            The reason an oath changes could be becuase each person and choice and life is different and with the oath being another choice in life, it is also different.
            "This is our shame-
            this is the whole Ocean's glory:
            this is the Song of the Twelve." (DW 316)

Comment

were you using the updated oath or the old one?
              Dai!

P.S. gone libraring

Comment

Originally posted by Onix View Post
                were you using the updated oath or the old one?
                wha? i have no clue wat ur talkin about

i have another account but i lost the paaword 4 that 1...
                (omg i was just typin in aim and now im typin lik i stil am textin)
                so im not relly a new member...i have been usein this website b4 it had even changed 2 a dferent websiteg2g
                Last edited by Kathy Li; April 11, 2009, 03:22:45 PM. Reason: merged double-post
                (True,) the white hole said. (my name is Khairelikoblepharehglukumeilichephreidosd'enagooun i--) and at the same time he went flickering through a pattern of colors that was evidently the visual translation."Ky--elik" Nita began. "Fred," Kit said quickly.

Comment

Oath

Hello! I am new to this so would someone tell me all about this?
                  Thanks, Bandraoia

Comment

so maddy, on your first post in this thread, your pretty much saying that wizardry isnt real? that it never happens? well when my friend and i both took the oath, we both experienced a sort of odd feeling, like the world had fallen away, and we were alone in a very quiet space. i truly think the oath might have actually worked. sometimes, when im with my friend, or just alone, weird things happen sometimes, things suspicious, or unnatural
                    "Four for you Glenn Cocoa, you go Glenn Cocoa!" : Damian Mean Girls

Comment

Everyone thinks i'm crazy. Only my best friend believes me, and i'm getting tiered of it all. Ever since i was a little girl, i knew wizardry was real. i took the Oath, and of course, i felt the very same way Diane described it in the book. My best friend and i are very close. We say the same things at the same time, and can read each others minds easily, no sweat. We can sometimes do it on command, or by mistake, but even my mother is starting to wonder now. We laugh about it sometimes. Everyone in school makes fun of me, because of the books i read, how much i write, how much i care about nature. I have to remind people that they live on Earth too, and destroying it, even as a joke, which i think is horrible, is destroying your own home. I heard a rumor about myself once, and it tore me apart inside. I changed who i was. I no longer read odd books in school, and i only try to talk about wizardry with my best friend, who i know is the only one who will believe me anyway. Though i couldn't stop writing, because that is what keeps me sane. I try to tell myself that it's not real, to give it up. It worked once, but then things happened again, and then i had no choice. I can't refuse to believe it. Wizardry is real to me. Not in a poetic way, saying that magic lives in everyone. I believe that too. But i also believe that the wizardry we all "want" to be real, is real. So if your reading this sentence now, that means you have come to the end of my long rant, and thank you for being patient. I love Diane's books, and she inspired me to do many things. Diane, if your reading this, thank you, for you have kept me sane for two years when i was desperate to find a great author.
                      "Fear of the name only increases fear of the thing itself" Hermione Granger Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Comment

It's when it works, that you gotta worry.

Comment

Working...
                        X