Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HINTS at the future of characters (and their relationships)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HINTS at the future of characters (and their relationships)

I love foreshadowing, as it's so sneaky but when you think you've found it, it's like the coolest secret on earth.

So anyone think they've found some hints as to what the future holds for the characters and/or their relationships?

(WARNING: May contain spoilers from here on out!)
    Last edited by FocusPunch; August 15, 2011, 10:31:03 PM. Reason: I'm a silly wittle wabbit...
    ^(^.^)^

Foreshadowing is the best. I love it when I reread something and can't believe all the foreshadowing I missed that seemed to give away the entire plot of the book. Or the plot of some other book in the series, as is the case here, hopefully.

Anyway, the first thing that comes to mind--and I don't even know for sure that it's foreshadowing, but it sure sounds like it--is in Wizard's Dilemma (I think, too lazy to check :P) when we find out that Nita's parent's friends knew they were meant for each other long before Nita's parents did. It sounds exactly like Nita and Kit, and the constant teasing they get from (almost) everyone else in their lives. I squee'd a little when I read that the first time.

Comment

Right? It's so sneaky that way! I just ordered a copy of Wizard's Dilemma, so I'll check for that one as I'm re-reading it XD. Bahaha, I really hope that's foreshadowing! Carmela teases them about it every so often anyway.

In A Wizard Alone, here are a couple I found today. Some guesses, some past ones that came true in later books.

Guess: pg 188. Darryl says to Nita, while she is lucid dreaming and in one of his world's, "It's looking out of your eyes, too. It's always been close to you. Lately It's been closer than ever." ("it" probably meaning the Lone One?) Gave Nita a little scare and unsettled me in reader-land as well. I feel like there's more to that comment than the death of her mother in WD.

Also for Neets... this could be nothing, but the Powers That Be giving Nita some rather unusual information that they don't normally give out, according to Carl- that Darryl was an adbal, is. Something even Kit wasn't told. Eh, I have my theories about Nita, and they get stronger farther into the series.

Definate: Darryl sees Ponch for what he is before anyone else does.
      "Kit turned around to look toward him, dulled, not understanding what he was seeing. Darryl and Ponch looked at each other. Ponch stood there with his head up, his tail wagging. It was a speculative look on Ponch's part. He was no more sure what Darryl was reacting to than Kit was. "You," Darryl said. "You have to go... Don't wait, I recognize you- what you're becoming. But you can't stay...". I got to this and slapped myself on the forehead. It looks important enough, didn't stick out to me then- the kid stops in the middle of playing with the Lone One to tell Ponch he Knows what he is becoming. Brilliant.

Nother one for Ponch, when the dogs in the neighborhood all howl when he does. Little one, and may not be really strong, but I took it as such.

Gadzooks, I just found another "Guess" one.
      The Lone One was angry when Darryl cast him out of his world. And he went on a little rant. pg 298
      "One of these days, someone will refuse you (to Nita). I'll be waiting for you then. And for you," It said, glancing at Kit, "when she betrays you at last." And then Darryl, bless him, cast Him OUT. I feel like the Lone One dropped a bombshell then, and they all seem too caught up in having won this battle to pay it heed. My gosh, I can't wait to see how that one plays out.
      Last edited by FocusPunch; August 15, 2011, 10:32:16 PM.
      ^(^.^)^

Comment

Yeah, some WEIRD stuff has been happening with Nita lately. And there's a lot of stuff she hasn't paid for. I mean, Nita and Kit paid for their "Mobius" spell from the beginning, but then there's Nita fueling the shield with her life in HW, and "selling her soul" to the Lone Power in TWD (Kit pulled her out of that one), using the Binding Oath in TWH, and just recently, the HUGE spell she used in AWoM (the "Gibraltar Passthrough"?) And Bobo making everything easier for her, too. I wonder what'll happen . . .

Also, Kit's got a disturbing trend of getting "lost" in his wizardry. It happened in A Wizard Alone and again in A Wizard of Mars.

Comment

Originally posted by LifeSong View Post
          Yeah, some WEIRD stuff has been happening with Nita lately. And there's a lot of stuff she hasn't paid for. I mean, Nita and Kit paid for their "Mobius" spell from the beginning, but then there's Nita fueling the shield with her life in HW, and "selling her soul" to the Lone Power in TWD (Kit pulled her out of that one), using the Binding Oath in TWH, and just recently, the HUGE spell she used in AWoM (the "Gibraltar Passthrough"?) And Bobo making everything easier for her, too. I wonder what'll happen . . .

Also, Kit's got a disturbing trend of getting "lost" in his wizardry. It happened in A Wizard Alone and again in A Wizard of Mars.
          True, they do a lot of exchanges that they will HAVE to eventually pay for. Bobo is an odd one! The spirit of wizardry inside of someone? The reason for it has not yet revealed itself.

Now that you mention it, Kit does seem to stray very easy. Couple that with the "she will betray you" thing, the peredoxis... But yeah, in Alone, he gets linked to Darryl's autism. Mars, he gets a little too close to the Martian princess. Nita goes in for him both times, saves his butt!
          ^(^.^)^

Comment

Spoilers!

Um, yeah. I agree with this stuff!

You know how in the beginning of AWoM, Mr. Machiavelli tells Kit he's showing signs of falling in love with History, and getting so involved with the people's lives? That's Kit's "problem". He just gets TOO involved sometimes...

Nita. There are SO many hints out there! She's starting to be able to see the future, wizardry is stuck in her head, lots of other stuff too. There was something in the description of AWoM early on....about becoming much less, or much more, than human.... (is she going to be, well, more than human... i.e. PONCH?!!?)

Roshaun. so yeah, I was out with my mom the other day, and I had this HUGE idea! So, Roshaun does that big Wizardry with the Sun, right? what if...(don't shoot me on this!) he kinda, sorta, melded with the Sun?!?! It would explain why his listing in the Manual is blank, and maybe even why the Sunstone is now attuned to the Earth's Star instead of his.......?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
            All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

I'm glad to see other people paying as much heed to the Lone Power's eerie premonition ("...when she betrays you at last," etc, etc). It's fascinated me ever since I first read it. I highly doubt DD put it in there just to make a point. The question is, will it turn up in a book or not. It seems hard to believe Nita would ever betray Kit on purpose, but we've seen what happens to her when her mind is clouded by fear and anger. Hopefully it'll turn out all right, and they'll show Him up once again.

Andandand! This is another Nita/Kit related one, but I can't believe I forgot about it! It's probably my favourite piece of foreshadowing (if that is indeed what it is) in the whole series so far.

The Pig was silent for a little while. "Now, if I was a stinker," it said at last, "I would demand a whole third truth from you, and then tell you one of the truths you originally asked for: where she is. But there's the glede to consider; things like that don't turn up often. And besides, I've always been a sucker for young--well, for people in your situation." - p. 344, The Wizard's Dilemma

Young what? The only thing I can think of that makes sense is young love. And The Transcendent Pig would know, wouldn't he? He could have been at their wedding (if they ever have one) right then, transcendence being what it is :P

Comment

Originally posted by 96bookworms View Post
                Um, yeah. I agree with this stuff!

You know how in the beginning of AWoM, Mr. Machiavelli tells Kit he's showing signs of falling in love with History, and getting so involved with the people's lives? That's Kit's "problem". He just gets TOO involved sometimes...

Nita. There are SO many hints out there! She's starting to be able to see the future, wizardry is stuck in her head, lots of other stuff too. There was something in the description of AWoM early on....about becoming much less, or much more, than human.... (is she going to be, well, more than human... i.e. PONCH?!!?)

Roshaun. so yeah, I was out with my mom the other day, and I had this HUGE idea! So, Roshaun does that big Wizardry with the Sun, right? what if...(don't shoot me on this!) he kinda, sorta, melded with the Sun?!?! It would explain why his listing in the Manual is blank, and maybe even why the Sunstone is now attuned to the Earth's Star instead of his.......?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
                Too true about Kit. I know people like this too. It can be a really good thing if used in the right way.

Forgot about the "seeing the future" thing. Oh gosh, you've now got me on a chase through aWoM for that line. More than human would be interesting, coming from the girl who wondered if her SISTER was from another planet.

Hm. He did walk into the sun unscathed that time in Wizard's Holiday. He's got some splainin' to do! It's his speciality. Think he's some sort of Sun Being now? Boy would be more high and mighty than ever as the sun. The sun DOES have a language, it was revealed in WH, so if they could communicate with it... maybe it could tell them what is up. I think it was some form of the Speech? Not sure.

Originally posted by Elita Justice View Post
                I'm glad to see other people paying as much heed to the Lone Power's eerie premonition ("...when she betrays you at last," etc, etc). It's fascinated me ever since I first read it. I highly doubt DD put it in there just to make a point. The question is, will it turn up in a book or not. It seems hard to believe Nita would ever betray Kit on purpose, but we've seen what happens to her when her mind is clouded by fear and anger. Hopefully it'll turn out all right, and they'll show Him up once again.

Andandand! This is another Nita/Kit related one, but I can't believe I forgot about it! It's probably my favourite piece of foreshadowing (if that is indeed what it is) in the whole series so far.

The Pig was silent for a little while. "Now, if I was a stinker," it said at last, "I would demand a whole third truth from you, and then tell you one of the truths you originally asked for: where she is. But there's the glede to consider; things like that don't turn up often. And besides, I've always been a sucker for young--well, for people in your situation." - p. 344, The Wizard's Dilemma

Young what? The only thing I can think of that makes sense is young love. And The Transcendent Pig would know, wouldn't he? He could have been at their wedding (if they ever have one) right then, transcendence being what it is :P
                They say there are no accidents! I have a feeling it will be addressed one day. No doubt the wizardly duo can get past it though. I've always wondered how It is going to take advantage of their partnership. Seems to try whenever it can, knows how close they are.

HAHAHA, young love? Somehow "wizards" seems inadequite there. It was going to say something profound, that's for sure! Or so one expects, as it IS the Transcendant Pig! And that would be pretty heavy stuff there .

NOTE: I recieved my own copy of WD today. That makes 7 of the 9 books that I own (others I got from the library over and over), so I'll be looking through that too now..
                Last edited by FocusPunch; August 17, 2011, 07:55:04 PM.
                ^(^.^)^

Comment

Found more, what do ya think of these apples?

Through re-reading Dilemma, I found more. And memorized the spelling of "dilemma". Why did I think it had an h in it?

On the Nita/Kit scale, this will make some people very happy.

pg. 394
                  Context: Nita's parents are talking, her mom in the hospital bed right after Nita went inside her to try and fix the cancer.
                  "But one thing, before I forget. You don't need to waste any more time worrying about Kit."
                  "No?"
                  "No."

Haha!

pg 400-401
                  context: The cool thing about this one is it could mean a number of different things. Who knows if/how it will play out, or if it will remain a mystery unsolved about wizardry... or Nita's mom. Nita is in Nita's mom. And so is Nita's mom. And Chao.

"Mom, this is the Transcendent Pig. Chao, this is my mother."
                  "We've met," said the Pig, nodding in a friendly way to Nita's mom.
                  Nita's mother smiled back. "You know, we have," she said, "but for the life of me I can't remember when."
                  "You will," said the Pig. It glanced at Nita. "She has a lot of remembering to do. Not right away... but soon..."

And then...

pg 401
                  "They all remember me eventually, " it said. "The way they all remember the Lone One. We have history."

Hm?

The "young-well" comment is pg 344.

Aaaand... didn't find anything earlier in the book. Possible Big Truths seem to be said near the end, and then ignored by the characters -_-'.
                  ^(^.^)^

Comment

Just a thought about Nita and Kit. In DW, both Nita and Kit morphed into whales, but they did it in different ways. Because Nita had Sree's blood as a part of her, she controlled the shapechange. Kit, on the other hand, had to use a whalesark to change. The change controlled him. Nita's problem was in reminding herself that she was a whale for the time in the water whereas Kit had to remember he was human.

Nita has always been the one who seemed to be in control when in fact, everything seemed out of control. Kt has been the one who gets too involved in situations.

Interestingly, Kit finds small doses of Dairine without Nita tolerable, but knows that he can't control her and only Nita can. Kit also cannot control his sisters' reactions to him. Control in his life isn't there. Will he eventually gain control of his non-wizarding life?

Bob

Comment

That's a good question- will he ever get that control over himself and his life? The blurb/summary of Games Wizards Play explained that Kit gets in the middle of something that is between Nita and Dairine. I would say "too involved" fits him perfectly. We saw it with Daryll (whose name I always misspell), the Martians.

96bookworms touched on that as well!

Oh, also in Games Wizards Play, Nita and Kit seem at odds in their teaching methods for their mentee. I suspect what you discussed will play a big role in this!
                      ^(^.^)^

Comment

Kit

As far as Kit is concerned, He just needs to gain more confidence. He will never control Camela or for that mater Helena. If he tries to "control" Nita he will lose her. Ponch told him to ignore her(Carmela), he should take Ponch's advise. It seems to me, in the first nine books, wizardry is about not trying to fix something that isn't broken. It wouldn't surprose me at all if Kit and Nita have a conflict. Not so bad they break up but it might be the main plot devise for the next book.

Comment

Originally posted by rick455 View Post
                          It seems to me, in the first nine books, wizardry is about not trying to fix something that isn't broken.
                          Plot-wise? Do explain.
                          ^(^.^)^

Comment

Working...
                          X