non-wizard friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non-wizard friends

After looking at the final book again, I realized that virtually nothing is shown of friendships the main wizards have with non-wizards. Nita holds an antipathy to most of the kids in her school and her only interaction with them has been that way. Dairine we see nothing regarding her school life or non-wizarding social life.

The only two characters we ever saw actually having non-wizard friends (and interacting with them) are Ronan when Nita first meets him at the cafe in WAb and then Kit's friend Raoul Eschemeling in WoM. It would be interesting to see more of Nita's and Dairine's non-wizarding social lives.

Bob

I agree we should learn more about their lives with non- wizards, but that can also be hard for DD to write because even though they're heroes in ways of wizardry and 'saving the world'. They're known by other people as nerds...I think this is one similarity with Harry Potter because most of the characters have a negative point of non-wizards (or in Harry Potter, witches as well.) I know that Kit also has a non-wizard friend who he more tutors, so I think we or DD can build on that point ... or... I think it would be easier to maybe found out more about Carmela, Kit's sister because we have heard that she used to hang out with a boy at his house named Miguelito (or I think that's how you spell... )
    I think Carmela can be used to get all the other characters to be whole-some with non-wizards... ...
    A spell always works. -So You Want To Be A Wizard I wonder would it work on my sisters... hmm...

Comment

Raoul is a friend of Kit's. They study together, it isn't that Kit tutors him. The only girl we know Nita has befriended was Del, the girl from Nita's vision in W@W.

As for Kit and Nita being known as nerds, even nerds have friends. If they can't learn how to handle their real life, they will only have their wizardry. That would be unhealthy.

Bob

Comment

The problem is that wizardry is the primary component of their lives, and it's difficult to make close friends while keeping the primary focus of your life secret from them. To make a really close friend, Nita or Kit would have to explain to their friend about wizardry (at which point that friend would probably become another Carmela, although probably less awesome).

Also, these books are about Nita and Kit involved with wizardry. It's kind of difficult to involve people who are in the dark about wizardry when the majority of the action of the book takes place on Mars.

I'm sure Nita, Kit, and Dairine have non-wizardly friends. But those friends don't get involved with the parts of their lives that we read about in the books, almost by definition.
        "Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise." - The Duchess, Alice in Wonderland

Comment

It esn't necessary, me thinks, to develop relationships between wizards and non-wizards. Unfortunately, wizardry takes up so much time and energy, it's always on yer mind and havin non-wizards as mates can be difficult to have an outlet, yeh see? It's the same as if yeh read all the time... but yer mates don't read. And all yeh want to do is discuss the bloody book but yeh have no one to discuss it with because yer only mates don't damned well read, yeah? It gets tiresome. So Nita and Kit are always consumed by their wizardly chores that everythin else becomes second (as it must inevitably). If they have non-wizard mates (and I dun think they have many), they wouldn't be able to talk bout wizardry, yeah?

Also, wizardry is so bloody broad. It covers everythin in the universe - every subject yeh can imagine. So, wizards always think in those terms. Imagine tryin to build a relationship with someone who has a different mindset then yeh? A baptist Christian marryin an atheist fer example? it happens a times, yeah, but it's rare. There's just little relatin.

Comment

Working...
          X