Parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents

I have enjoyed reading about the parental relationships in this series. In particular, Nita and Dairine's parents are interesting.

First, they love each other. That much you can feel. But you can also feel the love and patience they have for their children (and for their daughters; friends). We know what kind of relationship Nita's mother eventually had with Kit when she said to him, "Woof" at the end of WD. That showed a deep respect for him.

What's interesting is that they started the same as Helena with Kit, but were eventually persuaded by Nita and Kit. We don't know what it took for Kit to convince his parents, but I will assume it was the same.

After their introduction to the idea of having a daughter into wizardry, they became her biggest cheerleader. The same with Dairine. The parents took to it so well. That is one thing I loved.

Bob

This is an interesting topic. Here on the forums we talk a lot about the youthful characters, and maybe Tom and Carl, but there has not been much discussion of the parentals.

I've noticed recently that Harry is possibly the character who has undergone the most character development in the series. In DW he was a strict and unmovable, and also very protective, father. Now (and this holds true whether you have read AWoM or not) he plays an entirely different role in the story. Part of that is to do with now being a solo parent. Before, Nita's parents kind of had a 'good cop, bad cop' routine going on, but now Harry has to wear both hats, which is something any parent who has lost their partner would have to learn to do. It's also to do with his increasing exposure to wizardry, and his talks with Tom in particular. But I also think it is a reflection of how Nita, whose view of Harry we get more often than Dairine's, is growing more mature and therefore the nature of their relationship is changing. More and more often we are treated to conversations between Harry and Nita that sound like discussions between equals. Which means that, I suppose, the main thing that has driven Harry's character development is the dawning realisation that his girls, Nita in particular, are getting big enough to look out for themselves, and may even look after him on occasion. Which is highly appropriate for a YA series. This is all part of growing up.

I've also just sort of realised that how Harry now behaves around wizardry is probably how my own Dad would behave. That whole blaze thing. Seriously, my Dad (who is a bus driver) got attacked and robbed last week while on the job by a guy wielding a hammer. His ulna is broken, but it was very nearly his skull that got broke. And he's FINE. Didn't phase him AT ALL. He's just like "Well, these things happen." I was upset, and he told me to stop being so silly. Sheesh.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cadet View Post
      This is an interesting topic. Here on the forums we talk a lot about the youthful characters, and maybe Tom and Carl, but there has not been much discussion of the parentals.
      I hole heartily agree. While I am just now getting back into posting here after a long stretch of being away due to various reasons, I continued to lurk and read what people posted, and this topic is one that really sparks many things through my mind.

I am fortunate to have lived with both of my parents, but many of my friends weren't so lucky; and I can see the differences between how my parents react to things and how their parent reacts.

The whole things that I love about Harry's development through the series is how he's starting to accept that things aren't going to be 'normal' again. He knows this and accepts it. That's evident through his actions and comments in the last few books; but one that really sticks out is from A Wizard of Mars:

Originally posted by A Wizard of Mars p.361
      "Okay," [Harry] said, as [Nita] started up the stairs. "So when am I going?"
      Nita paused. "Where?"
      "To Mars!" He laughed. "What's the point of being a wizards did if I don't get some perks out if it?"
      He knows that he has to accept it and even as started to go along with it. Here's hoping that in the next book (hopefully few) we get more insight as to what he's thinking. I'd love to see the wizardry world form a non-wizard who is just a normal, everyday person.

Gibby Gibson
      "Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed." ~G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Working...
      X