Michael Power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Power?

I was re-reading So You Want To Be A Wizard, and i came across something strange. In the chapter Entropics, the Lone Power is talking on the phone with someone named Michael. Is this the Power that was inside Ronan? The Lone One also says something about moonlight and noon-forged metal. Strange....
    "Fear of the name only increases fear of the thing itself" Hermione Granger Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Well, moonlight and noon-forged metal refer to Nita's rowan wand and Kit's antenna. As for Michael... honestly, I can't think of a better explanation.

Comment

Michael is the name for an angel, and in AWAb The Champion is refered to as appearing as "Michael" among other appearances such as "Thor" and "Athene". I believe that it is the name for a major power, if not the Champion Itself.

(Hmm, that means the LP was talking to Its twin on the phone! Huh.)

PS: Welcome, Linktoreality! *showers cookies and straightjackets and FAQ's on you*
      Last edited by SilveredBlue; February 5, 2010, 04:15:27 PM.

Comment

i looked it up in the concordance and here is some of the info i found about him

his/her/its ancient colleague and foe, the Lone Power. The Michael Power is routinely closely identified with the One's Champion, and is assumed to have been foremost in the struggle in which the Lone Power was cast out of the upper reaches of Creation.

nothing about him being a twin of the lone power im confused or did you make that up? sorry i don;t have a copy of so you want to be a wizard so i can't re read that chapter

Comment

I've always read that Mike as being the Michael power, yeah, and I sort of love that conversation in that light, don't you? I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense in the context of the later books - it seems like Mike is functioning as a go-between for the rest of the Powers and the LP, which isn't really how it acts later - but it's so funny and presents so much clever information about the way the LP views his relationship with others. (It also makes that particular incarnation of the LP... well, I think a later edition of the LP, possibly Esemeli but don't quote me on that, refers to the SYWTBAW!LP as one that's not necessarily thinking with his whole brain most of the time, yanno? And I think this conversation is illuminating in that light, because this LP really doesn't want anything but to play around in his own weirdo universe and he sees Nita and Kit and, by extension, the meddling of the rest of the Powers, as basically getting in his way.)
          Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

I agree. It is sorta funny seeing the Lone Power talk on the phone with someone. You don't really see that often. But was that conversation at the time when the Michael Power was still inside Ronan? How would that be possible?
            "Fear of the name only increases fear of the thing itself" Hermione Granger Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Comment

Well, at that time the Michael Power was still inside Peach (and Ronan), and they are the Powers That Be. They live outside Time, so I'm not sure if it's really an issue.

I could see him talking with the Michael Power, especially since he was arguing about how much energy his universe got accorded. It would make a lot of sense, if that were the case.

Not that Mike isn't a common name. He could have been talking to any old Michael.
              Light is truly the cosmic messenger, bringing the stories of distant objects to Earth.

Comment

As for the LP's twin- I got that from HW. The Champion tells Kit and Nita that after she's defeated It.

And I got the feeling that this was an outside-of-time reality in SYW, thus solving the timestream problem.

Comment

Originally posted by SilveredBlue View Post
                  As for the LP's twin- I got that from HW. The Champion tells Kit and Nita that after she's defeated It.

And I got the feeling that this was an outside-of-time reality in SYW, thus solving the timestream problem.
                  thanks i don't own a lot of the books and get caught up in reading new books and i forget the little conversations and only remember the main plot

Comment

On the other hand...
                    "Hello?"
                    "Good afternoon. This is the office of the Lone Power, Akaganath speaking. May I please speak to Macchu Picchu?"
                    "... ... ... PEACH! Phone!"

Yeah, yeah, I know, Tom and Carl (apparently) thought she was just an ordinary oracular parrot, but still, it's funny to imagine, right?
                    Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Yes, that is very funny to think about! Since it's peach, ive come to the conclusion that that bird can do almost anything, and that talking to one of the Powers That be would be almost too easy, since they are really almost brother and sister. Thanks for the help! I just got scared because I really didnt know if Ronan wanted to talk to the Lone One. I really couldnt imagine him being someone who agreees with all the Lone Ones done.

Comment

Working...
                      X