Ages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ages

I've noticed a couple of inconsistencies in regards to how old Nita is. In SYWtBaW it says that she is thirteen years old. Then in AWA (A Wizard Abroad) it says she has had the manual for about two and a half years, which should make her fifteen or so. Ok. However in the very first chapter of Wizards at War, it says she is fourteen. Am I the only one who is slightly confused at this?
    If in a dewdrop there is a world of struggle, what happens when our dewdrop falls?
    Some people are like slinkies, pretty much useless, but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down the stairs.

in some books that happens it will say one age then in another it will say a different age but i think with Young wizards the books take place at different parts of the year so it could easy have been a year or so since she got the manual but yeah its confusing

Comment

Even so, it is supposed to happen in a semi chronological order. And so she just seems to be jumping backward and forward. I know it just seems like a really random part to fixate on, but you can't have any change with the characters unless the characters themselves change, and one of the big parts of change is growing older. Plus it seems kind of odd that the people who are supposed to be fighting entropy don't seem to be affected by it themselves.
      If in a dewdrop there is a world of struggle, what happens when our dewdrop falls?
      Some people are like slinkies, pretty much useless, but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down the stairs.

Comment

ages

Take heart, other people have noticed this (and other!) timeline issues/inconsistencies.

someone posted a quote from Duane's afterword (or was it an introduction?) to the 20th anniversary edition of SYWTBAW...

"As of 2003, Nita is fourteen in her world, but it's taken twenty of our years for her to reach that age. I doubt she'd be overly concerned by this seeming paradox, assuming that she ever came to perceive herself as fiction (and in wizardry, stranger things have happened.). In Nita's world, as in mine, it's always now."
        That thread is here: http://www.youngwizards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103

Comment

Thanks alot space pen! It has been bugging me... I just thought it odd that the Lone Power's favorite tool wasn't affecting them directly...

Comment

nita noticed too. She just can't seem to get her cloths to fit, with all these jumping ages
            There is always a price, but who pays it is optional.

Comment

good joke there zilvox!

Comment

I also noticed that towards the beginning of High Wizardry it lists Dairine as 11 which puts their ages three years apart seeing as she's supposedly 14, and then later sites a time when she was 3 and Nita 5. Now even the best books have continuity issues, so it doesn't really matter. But since it's up here...
                Duct tape is like the Force. It has a Light Side, a Dark Side, and it binds the Universe together.
                "Oh. So...what, you liked it 'cause it was shiny?" - Logan Cale
                "I'm sixteen. Of course I'm hungry." - Ben Skywalker

Comment

Ages are usually expressed as whole numbers, so the apparent difference can change by a year when one or the other passes a birthday. I had a couple of friends at school who were 11 months apart. They used to have great fun confusing strangers during the month or so each year when their reported ages were the same:
                  Questioner: "How old are you?"
                  Both, together: "Nine."
                  Questioner: "And you're brothers?"
                  Both: "Yes."
                  Questioner (confidently): "So you're twins, then."
                  Both: "No."
                  -- Rick.

Comment

Working...
                  X