What happened to Joanne?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Joanne?

Has anyone else found it strange that Joanne NEVER shows up again? Not even in passing? Unless I'm missing something.
    Help! I'm online and I can't get off!
    Me

Has anyone else found it strange that Joanne NEVER shows up again? Not even in passing? Unless I'm missing something.
    Me

Comment

Well, she'd served her purpose in the plot, but yes, she could easily be hanging around in Nita's classes in later books, or the Virella flower shop could get a mention.

Maybe she moved to California or something?
      Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

That could be, but this has happened with other things also. Like Mrs. Lesser.
        Me

Comment

Maybe she got in so much trouble beating people up that she had to go see Millman for anger management.

PM--That avvie is really odd. It looks like a cross between South Park and Ned Flanders.

Comment

No, it looks like a cross between South Park and me. Really. I just poked about in the options at the site to get one that looked as close to me as I could manage.

Why is the librarian in SYWTBAW a Lesser character anyway?

Comment

DD had no further use for her, apparently. She did whatg she had to do, giving Nita her Manual, which at the end of the day is important.

Hey, ya never know. She might come back...
              I'm crying cuz things aren't how
              they used to be
              she said,
              "The battle's almost won
              and we're only several miles from the sun..."

Comment

PM:
                Why is the librarian in _SYWTBAW_ a Lesser character anyway?
                *throws a waterbomb at PM for the pun* That's not funny

Comment

I always kind of hoped that becuase she was a librarian she was a wizard! I mean all that knowlege! Was it not mentioned somewhere that some wizards just read to rediscover things long forgotten? or maybe one of the Powers that be! Maybe the one that gives a human the choice of wizardry by offering the manual!!!
                  Fox
                  God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

hm, that's a very interesting idea...
                    I'm crying cuz things aren't how
                    they used to be
                    she said,
                    "The battle's almost won
                    and we're only several miles from the sun..."

Comment

Or it could be that the librarian doesn't care an ounce about books, and she only works there because she gets paid. She could also have a second job (I don't think that librarians make that much) and the library is so busy that she never has time to read anyway. She's there because she is, and there are other 'lesser' characters that seem like they'd have more importance thant this one.

*winces* Sorry, had to say something.
                      Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

uh. ankaa! you might want to make your avie a little smaller. Probably about as small as gryph's.

-sorry for the short post-
                        penguins will rule the world.

Comment

She did whatg she had to do, giving Nita her Manual, which at the end of the day is important.
                          One of the helping professions, you might say?

or maybe one of the Powers that be! Maybe the one that gives a human the choice of wizardry by offering the manual!!!
                          Fox, I love that idea! The one cats call the Whisperer...
                          It kind of goes along with an idea in DD's "Door" books. (<span class="ev_code_WHITE">Everyone in that world is supposed to meet the Goddess once, in person. Sometimes She comes in the form of a person you've known for a long time, kind of as a joke.</span>)
                          Gryph, I can't agree. Nita and that librarian had a good rapport; I don't think Ms. Lesser came off as uncaring.
                          There's a famous list, called Ranganathan's Five Laws, describing libraries and the work of librarians:
                          1) Books are for use.
                          2) Every reader his book. (I don't like defaulting to male, but it's an old list.)
                          3) Every book its reader.
                          4) Save the time of the reader.
                          5) A library is a growing organism.

Comment

My interpretation is that when the Powers decided it was the right time to offer Nita the choice, they waited until she was in an appropriate place to plant a book. Mrs Lesser probably wasn't aware that the book was there - and if Nita had had her card with her, and had tried to check it out, it probably wouldn't have been in the system (well, not without a bit more work by a Power, but it was easier for it not to be, and for her not to have the card, so there'd be no record).

After all, the book caught her with its loose thread, she didn't notice it until then. If she'd been in the adult section, then the manual would have looked like an adult novel, instead.

So I don't think Mrs Lesser played a significant part in Nita getting her manual, her decision to help and to direct Nita downstairs just determined where the Powers would put the book.

Comment

How big is mine, d'ya know? I think it might actually be below the limit; Z's is wider, and isn't yours at the right size? Ankaa, if you don't know how to resize your avatar, you can ask Lee to do it for you.

Heyy, I can click my own alert button... Oooo

Fine, fine.

My other knee is killed too, but this time I know what I did to it. I'll post about it in the togr. By the way, come visit the Topic of Great Randomness, Ankaa! Don't worry about reading it front to back; just post and join in.
                              Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

Working...
                              X