Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does YW teach us about ourselves and our world?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does YW teach us about ourselves and our world?

It's something we've probably all thought about some. What's there beyond a story? Because stories often are more than entertainment, they're a way of teaching.

After reading the "I am a molten heart of the world..." article and commenting on that thread, it really came to mind, what do we all get from it. What is there beyond the characters that we like to read the stories of.

Topic 1: Not lying and the power of language
    The thing that really came to me as interesting to talk about was the Speech and the importance of that language being not just the importance of the Speech, but the importance of language as a whole. To me, when she's saying you cannot lie in the Speech because you can change the world, its the same with our languages. Saying something has power even if not magic, and putting magic into the language shows us the power.

I'm curious about how people here treat language, and if these books have made a difference in the view. I could see it having done so. I personally value what is said to the point where I cannot lie in a LARP in character. I cannot say something which is untrue because it is too unethical for me. Is there anyone else like that? Did these books make you more aware to the importance of what you're saying?

Topic 2: Entropy
    Something else I feel that comes up is the importance of meaning what we do in terms of entropy. We cannot fight entropy as wizards can, but we can make sure we don't act just to act. I actually find this to be one of the reasons you should not on this board post meaningless posts, or posts without enough content. Not only are you taking up space and being annoying, you're talking about reducing entropy in terms of a book series and not taking at all into your life. I take this whole point to get into protect the world you live in a respect life by keeping track of what you're doing.

Topic 3: Growing/Maturity
    Of course this is here, with there being the coming of age story in YW. Learning who you are. Learning to be yourself. Just seeing that in others is enough here I think.

Topic 4: Respect for Life
    This is another big one that seems to be a focus. The fact that its not fighting against evil, but fighting for life. Respecting other living things. Respecting other humans, but also respecting the animals, the plants, the world we live in. This to me doesn't get into anything beyond respect, not telling us how to live, but telling us to see the magic in life itself, because you can call life magical.

I don't think they've majorly influenced my life, but I think they've helped me see how I am, in terms of things like, saying something untrue is wrong, and that it makes sense that its wrong. I've felt guilty for years after lying to my parents the last time that I can remember doing so (though I've probably lied since then, I still feel bad about something 10 years ago which had no negetive side effects). And while it didn't change me, it helped me see how I am.

So what else do people see as lessons? And how has it influenced your life?
    We will remember you PM. And your little GingerBear.

Sometimes when I leave a light on, I feel guilty because I'm speeding up the heat-death of the Universe.

The power of language is something that runs through all of Diane's books -- remind me to quote the beginning of The Door Into Fire sometime, for a different take on wizardry. I'm much more aware of "power issues" than I was before reading her books... in a way, it's why I named Ael as I did. I was hoping that some of Ael i-Mhiessan T'Rllailieu's nobility would rub off. :-)
    "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

If I accidentally hurt something living, a tree, say, I feel worse than I would have before I had read the books.

Tuttle: What about respect for inanimate life as well? That's put into YW a lot. My computers do work better if I'm nicer to them...
      Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

I do have to admit, since I've been treating my computers and other inanimate objects better, they've been working great. I try not to yell at them as much. I know my mom hates the laptop I'm using now because it shuts off on her a lot. But when ever I use it, it never shuts off on me as much as it does for her. She flips out whenever it does, and I just sigh and shut the computer down and restart it.

It's quite funny. Anyway, I do try not to lie ever since I've read the books, and I even take in consideration of the trees and nature around me.
        Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
        Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
        It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
        Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

Well, to begin with, I was never one for lying. I remember a certain incident in preschool where I was wearing these horrible pajamas with pink roses all over them (yes, this is a very vivid memory-bear with me) and I lied to my mom about brushing my teeth when I hadn't. Insignificant in the large scheme of things, but ever since then, I've been reluctant to lie. An exception came last year, however, when I started lying about my schoolwork being done after I was out of school for a week while being sick. It escalated into a huge mess, and ended with my mom losing some of her trust in me. So really, I guess I wouldn't say it's the books that make me lie less...it's just in my personality, and the way I live my life.

On entropy...I agree with what Tuttle said about the board itself; trying not to post one-liners or posts that have zero points in them is one way to reduce it. I post when I have something to say, which is how it should be here. On entropy in everyday life...I'm a big believer in conserving electricity; I like natural light, and right now in fact I'm sitting in my room with all the lights off and the window shades up to take advantage of the sunlight. It's the little things like that, that I've started doing since reading the books that make me think about slowing entropy.

On growing...(seeing a pattern here? Argh, I just can't help but think and respond to all of Tuttle's points. ) I first read the YW series in 4th grade; I'm now in 12th. I know that this is nothing compared to the amount of time some people (coughklicough and sadcoughPMcough) have spent reading DD's books, but to me that's a long time. I think I've grown to be more considerate of others around me, and more open to people. In 4th grade, I was a lot like Nita; I read a lot, and I was bullied (though luckily it was only with words, and not with actions.) Now I know that I don't have to stand for that, and it's not how life has to be. I can grow up to be who I want to be, and do what I want to do. Who cares what other people think? If at the end of the day, I'm happy with how I live, then that's all that matters.

Respect for life...I try as hard to do this as possible, but try as I might, there are just some people that you can't help but want to punch out every once in awhile. It's the way life works. However, you can still respect life without liking everyone, is what I'm thinking. Pick up trash, keep the planet clean, conserve resources...all that stuff you learn about in school to make the planet better. I don't need to reiterate it for you. I guess that I'm more aware of the world since reading the books. I pay attention, and notice things like the hummingbird fluttering over a flower, or the snake in the middle of the trail. Slowing down and looking around has helped me notice and respect life more, I think.

Well, these are kind of just ramblings...but I do think YW has taught me something, even if it is hard to define.

Comment

Working...
          X