more on ''library book?''

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more on ''library book?''

yes nitas bk was and is a library book but i had a thought you know in HW when Dairine copyes spot what if nitas manual coppied itself because it knew that the library would want it back??!!
    Dai stiho cousins
    ~~~Ezra

yes nitas bk was and is a library book but i had a thought you know in HW when Dairine copyes spot what if nitas manual coppied itself because it knew that the library would want it back??!!
    Dai stiho cousins
    ~~~Ezra

Comment

"Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed." ~G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Still, the librarian (can't for the life of me remember her name) knew Nita was taking the book. I think she might remember Nita taking the book. So, the question is, was there a built-in wizadry for the manual that made the librarian forget Nita had the book, or did Nita just kind of avoid the library for the next few years?
        ---------------------------
        ~
        And we go on...

Comment

Funny, I just assumed the librarian was another Wizard, or someone Wizardry-friendly who makes sure Manuals get into the right hands.
          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Rysade- in one of your postings on "library book" you said that wizardry is a craft, well its not, wizardry is an art you should know that if you have read any of the books at all!!
            Dai stiho cousins
            ~~~Ezra

Comment

Actually, I wouldn't call it an art. It's not. Think of it like a blacksmith or a carpenter's craft. It's not the work of a muscisian or an artist. Wizards don't do it for its beauty; they do it for its purpose.
              Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

Purposeful things can be art, too, you know. The word "art" is a little bit ambiguous--sometimes, it can mean something that takes skill as well as a human hand--a human mind, human judgement--to create. The same definition can apply to "craft". They're both correct, metinks

Comment

I agree with semiramis. Art comes in many forms. I call carpentry an art. We have a lot of craft shows that come in in our area, and some of the stuffe you see there... be it metalworking, wood carving, beeswax, you name it, quite a good bit of it is beautiful. That's how I view wizardry. Something that takes a while to craft but is beautiful in the making.

Of course, sadly, one cannot sell the products of wizardry at a craft show...

vv
                  PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
                  Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

I agree that it can be more accurately called a craft, but wizards do things partly for the beauty of what they do. Craft and art seem to be kind of finely distinguished. After all, art can be used for more than just beauty: remember what some of you learned in American history about the freedom quilts that slaves made that had maps on them? That sort of thing is art and craft. And as my art teacher is always telling us, "art is a form of communication".

I just reread that and I seem to have come to no recognizable conclusion. It's just my thoughts. Oh well, this isn't a paper to be graded.
                    *Ella*
                    "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
                    There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
                    And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
                    What could mean more than this?"
                    --Bright Eyes

Comment

In Nita's version of the wizards oath it says "In Life's name and for Life's sake , i say that i will use the Art fo nothing but the service of that Life...
                      Dai stiho cousins
                      ~~~Ezra

Comment

What if the book was never registered in the library at all? Like, it wasn't in the system. We know the manual can take different forms, so it could've just been placed on the shelf by the Powers That Be, and waited for the right person. And, as stated earlier, since Nita never really checked out the book, we can't be sure that the system would have worked.
                        Founder of the "Posts for ToGR" foundation. Keep the ToGR alive by a donation of one post!
                        "But before the happily ever after, there was always a kiss." ~Misread, my novel-in-progress!
                        "If I wasn't smart, I'd be dead."~The Naming, by Alice Croggon

Comment

Well, about the art/craft... The Seniors even call it "the Art" and in the oath it is quoted "I say that I will use the Art..." and i could probably go through all the books and give you every single example but my sugar high is wearing off and my eyes are getting a little tired and... *rambles off*
                          Hearts will never be practical, until they are made unbreakable.
                          "They smelled nice,"said Ponch"but smell isn't everything"
                          Check out the Encounters topic in Chatter II<<<If it's still there. Jeez. Long time guys.

Comment

It's probably not my place to say, because I'm really new, but maybe we should try to stay on topic. And to add on to my earlier post, I think Nita's manual was disguised so that people couldn't see it unless they needed it or wanted it really badly. Isn't that how it is for all manuals?
                            Founder of the "Posts for ToGR" foundation. Keep the ToGR alive by a donation of one post!
                            "But before the happily ever after, there was always a kiss." ~Misread, my novel-in-progress!
                            "If I wasn't smart, I'd be dead."~The Naming, by Alice Croggon

Comment

Hehe. Lisa, you get used to offtopicness after a while .

The book only reveals itself to Wizards, right. So even if it was noticed missing from the library, it wouldn't be noticed to be missing - except by a wizard, who wouldn't mind that it was missing and probably just order another one . In fact now I think about it, Mrs. Lesser didn't bat an eyebrow when she noticed the book that Nita wanted to borrow - maybe she is a wizard. In AWH, didn't it say that they didn't know the other wizards, unless they made themselves known to the said wizard?

As for the whole 'Art or Craft' thing. I have always thought that it would be an Art, not only because of what the Oath says, but I just generally think that working so closely with words, seems more like an art than a craft.

Anyways... thats just my opinons.

Alla

O_o...o_O this is my 199th (active )post! Now off to TOGR to celebrate

Comment

Working...
                              X