Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this true/correct/on the right track?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this true/correct/on the right track?

"Temporal setting
    Time in the Young Wizard series does not progress in a straightforward manner, and in fact there is some disagreement among fans as to the chronology of events in the series. For example, in So You Want to Be a Wizard, Carmela is fifteen, Nita is thirteen, Kit twelve, and Dairine eleven. By Wizard's Holiday, they should have all aged two years, since two summer vacations (Deep Wizardry and A Wizard Abroad) have passed. However, Nita progresses only one grade from High Wizardy to The Wizard's Dilemma, which means that either Deep Wizardry and A Wizard Abroad take place in the same summer, or Nita and the other characters got held back in school. In addition, the latest book, Wizards at War, puts Nita's age at fourteen. The books, however, are always set in the year of publication. Few dates are ever given, but Deep Wizardry explicitly says that the events occur in 1985 while High Wizardry, set two months later, gives the eleven-year-old Dairine a 1978 birthdate. The discrepancy in time is particularly noticeable when it comes to computers; in High Wizardry Nita's family obtains a brand new "Apple IIIc+," apparently modelled on the Apple IIc+ of 1988, while less than a year or two later in Wizard's Holiday Dairine's computer Spot is apparently imitating an Apple Titanium PowerBook. Even more obviously, in the 2005 podcast version of the 1986 short story "Uptown Local," Duane changes a line so that one minor character is using an iPod, and in Wizards at War a fellow wizard shows off his specialized manual known as a WizPod. In the same book, Nita thinks about the Manhattan skyline when someone refers to recent troubles, signifying that it takes place after 9/11. Also in "Wizards at War", the Lone Power refers to "a tower or two crumbling" in his gloating speech. The sliding scale is similar to those used in the James Bond films and Marvel comics." from www.wikipedia.org

Does anyone have any corrections/comments/ or a need to show extreme shock and surprise?
    “I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.”
    -Groucho Marx

I guess it's inevitable with a series that is set (more or less) in our world (or one running ours a close parallel course) where book-time covers a short interval but books come out at far longer intervals. Some folks just accept the inconsistancies (if they notice them) and don't let them spoil the stories. Others spot them every time and worry about them, and a few folks even try to figure out how to get things straightened out. Peter Murray was working on a revised detailed timeline just before he died...

Wikipedia on the YW series
    -- Rick.

Comment

Thanks, I guess that I should do that, but I kind feel the need to rationalize the way that the ages are scrambled.
      “I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.”
      -Groucho Marx

Comment

Holy crikey. Now I'm confused big time!

Uhhmmm.... I hate to say it, but if ll your information is correct, it sounds like DD messed up. O_O I've had stories where I've had to change around the whole darn thing because the timeline was messed up. I do remember the whole "two summers passing" and the "kids" (I guess you would say) not being that much older. Making a timeline for the books would be a ridiculously big and daunting task, but I know all of us would more than appreciate it if one showed up.

I'm one of those people who've always thought as the characters as older than they were, 15, 16-ish. I'm terrible with math, so I'm not going to analyze birth dates vs publication dates, but I do agree that something is off.

Maybe DD actually has one lying around? I know I've had to make a separate document or two just to keep all the characters and timeline and such straight... you'd need one, especially with a story so involved as this one.
        ..................~*Wolf*~..................
        AIM: CeliaWells8 / Twitter: Scifi_Nerd
        Won 2nd Place for Topic Of The Week 04, January, 2010!!!

Comment

The timeline is a bit messed up, I agree. The trouble started between HW and AWAb. But take into consideration: I'm not sure of exact dates, but around that time DD was a new bride, learning to live in a new country (Ireland). Her life was no doubt quite hectic at the time, and she must have had better things to worry about than remembering exactly how much older Nita is than Dairine. Any other discrepancies after AWAb can be seen as follow-on effects from AWAb, which means DD really only messed up the once. I think we can forgive her that, can't we?

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
            Maybe DD actually has one lying around? I know I've had to make a separate document or two just to keep all the characters and timeline and such straight... you'd need one, especially with a story so involved as this one.
            Yes, the timeline (a) is a bit stretched, and (b) has in-consistencies. Even DD is human, and makes mistakes sometimes.

Peter Murray was working on a series timeline, but sadly he died before he could complete the work. Garrett has a copy of the most recently released version.
            -- Rick.

Comment

...and there's some comment in DD's LJ about revisions she's planning to make to the first four books. It's worth a look if this sort of thing interests you. The relevant entry is this one but it's the comments more than the entry itself that are relevant to this discussion.
              -- Rick.

Comment

Working...
              X