Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Character Discussion

http://youngwizards.net/eve/forums/a...5/m/9266052362

The last "favorite characters" thread started 2003 and ended 2005. Considering this gap I believe a new thread would be best to discuss the topic from a fresh perspective. Thanks! And now, without further adieu, let's begin.

There is a massive list of lovely characters in the YW series. I'm not going to list them all but feel free to bring up your own favorite persons and their endearing attractive characteristics. Tell whom you like, what book you liked them in most, and maybe even why you like them over other good characters. What do they mean to you? How do they relate to yourself and the other characters in the story?

Love Nita and Kit naturally... but Dairine, the little sister, is my favorite of the bunch. (and by bunch I naturally mean the entire crazy cast from every book, main character or otherwise) Dairine first caught my attention in the second book as DD began developing her character individually. At that point I imagine most of us, those who love or hated her later on alike, were not too sure which side they are on during this stage. Book 3, HW, she becomes a fully functioning character and being the Astronaut wannabe I have always been, Dairine's flight across the very edge of the universe and her adventures from mars onward have always struck a chord with me. It's hard to understand exactly why I enjoyed HW so much. While all the characters give fabulous shows of themselves, Dairine especially shines (it is her ordeal after all) It's by far my favorite Ordeal story and I have enjoyed following the underlying plots following Dairine in the books since then. The latest books WH and WaW especially bring her into her own and I've enjoyed this.

Any comments on this? Favorite characters, relationships, character driven moments you particularly love and want to share?

^^ Thanks
    Dai Stihó, cousin.
    "Fairest and Fallen; greetings and defiance."

My favourite character's been Ronan for a while, and from reading the forums, it seems that the reasons I like him are the reasons that he polarises the discussion forums!

I found it very refreshing to be shown a character who, upon being given unimaginable power in exchange for some unknown cost, went "not a chance" and freaked out. It's a very human emotion and one that I found very realistic. It added a layer of complexity to a boy who really is all contradictions and seemingly doesn't seem to mind.

Also, it's clear that he's grown up in the gap between the two books and not just in the ways that he's accepted certain responsibilities. He's still sarcastic and quick-witted (as are almost all of the YW characters) but he's also older than them -- and it shows.

Finally, the relationship with Nita was really interesting as it allowed development of both Nita and Ronan and allowed DD to show off a very nicely handled teasing dynamic.

I'm not sure what the later books hold for Mister Ronan Nolan Junior, but I bet it'll be fun along the way. And who can pass up a tall, brooding Irish boy being an agitator and keeping things interesting?

Comment

Ahh, well, I'd really have to say Nita. I know that a lot of other people will say the same thing... but she is really one of my favorites. After all, she's the one who got me into the books, as she's so much like me. I associate with the books so well because of Nita and Kit, and so they are my Fav. caracters. But I can't really forget that it was Nita who drew me into the books, can i? Nad, yes, I can associate with Dairine and lots of other people to, but Nita is still the top. Poor Fred. I really liked him to... but still is Nita.

Sorry for putting my views at a standard response, but I must tell the truth... You never know what might happen if you lie...
      Believe something... and somewhere, it's happened

Comment

Well, we've all gotta love Nita. She's the lonely, quiet girl whose love for reading made her a wizard. What's cooler than that? Besides, we've seen her grow up (somewhat) and save the world more than a few times.
        "Half of the ehhif on the planet go to bed with empty stomachs: the other half die of eating themselves sick...." -Rhiow,The Book of Night With Moon

Comment

well, yes, but my point was not that she was a character that I liked, but my fav. character, and because i could associate with her SO much. I mean, there are some parts of SYWTBAW that are from Nita's perspective that could have been a scene from my own life. I think that what makes her my fav. character isn't so much that we've seen her grow up, but for the reasons stated about. I mean, she's so much like me...*runs away, before gives away to much about person(wolf)*

And i know, I'm giving the typical response. Sorry. but, truth is IMPORTANT. you never know what may or may not happenfrom what you say.

Comment

but my point was not that she was a character that I liked, but my fav. character
            Err, did I say something that would cause you to disagree? I thought I agreed with you...at least I meant to *shrug*.

*tries to figure out confuzzling post*
            "Half of the ehhif on the planet go to bed with empty stomachs: the other half die of eating themselves sick...." -Rhiow,The Book of Night With Moon

Comment

Nope. Sorry... I can be confusing... I was just clarifying that she was my favorite character, that's all. And then I went on ranting about why she was my favorite. I'm not trying to arguementative or anything, Sorry. I actually do that with myself sometimes... but I prefer compromise to arguements (at least here... I can't say it as if it's always true...) Sorry about the confuzzling post.

Comment

Well, I must say overall Nita is my favorite. The first time I read the books I was petrafied because Nita is literally (no pun intended) ME. However, Ponch, Peach, Tom, Carl, Kit, and Ronan are also some favorites. It's so tough to decide!

Nita...well not only does she look like me but her reactions and tastes are the same as mine. I don't want to say too much but...well...if they ever have open call casting for a So You Want to be A Wizard movie, I'll be there in line for Nita.
                What is the Meaning of Life?
                Read. Write. Dance. Live.
                ...Dai Stiho!

Comment

I would say that my favorite character would be Nita but a lot of people have said the same i would say.
                  So to shake things up I would say that Kit is my next favorite close behind would have to be hotshot(DW).
                  Kit's personality is great, he doesn't come right out and say how he is feeling which leaves you guessing. I love guessing whats going on with him because then i get to make the story how i think it should be and then see how DD looked at it. Its GREAT.
                  Hot Shot's personality is wonderful. He would be the type of friend that would always be there to make you laugh. Always having a good time and happy/hyper. haha Love that.
                  I'm just sayin'!

Comment

In order, my favorite characters are:

1. Nita--she's just so much like me, it's insane. When I first started reading the books, I actually looked exactly like her (except that I don't have grey eyes), and I mean exactly. I have a picture of Nita (that I got from the cover of one of the books) on my computer, and my parents saw it, and after studying it closely, thought it was a picture of me.

2. Kit--he seems like a really good best friend for Nita (or potentially something more?), and he seems to be able to understand her, which it seems in the story that hardly anybody ever has.

3. Mrs. Callahan--yes, I know she's dead, but I think she was pretty cool. Except in DW where she kept suspecting Nita and Kit of doing things that they weren't. I thought she should have trusted Nita enough to know that she wouldn't do that.
                    Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

Behind Nita and Kit (of course) my favorite character is probably Carmela. She doesn't really come out as a character until WH, but she's just so much fun! The way she and Kit interact reminds me a lot of the way me and my little brother interact. I love how she's so sure of herself, even when things look really bad. My favorite moment of all the books is Carmela on Rirath B. I was just like, "Yeah! Go Carmela!" I'm laughing just thinking about it lol.
                      Worlds biggest fangirl...future star of broadway...dictionary for the forum...in love with way to may fictional characters...You can call me Nate, everyone else does...I wonder if, when I finish my book, I'll have an awesome website with cool forums

Comment

I hope Ponch's character comes out even more in A Wizard on Mars. It's an interesting development: a dog with more powers than the humans.
                        I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

Working...
                        X