This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SYWTBAW Dramatic Interpretation

Okay . . . so I'm taking a speech-and-debate summer camp in which we were assigned to do a dramatic interpretation of something (or humorous, but most of us seem to be going for the dramatic.) I have never done one before and the only pieces of writing that I basically know cover-to-cover by heart are the YW books so, I chose SYWTBAW. I saw the Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone interpretation, so I knew it could be done (with a medium sized novel), but unfortunately I'm going to have to cut a lot of the parts out. Any ideas on how it could be done?

--LifeSong

How much of this are you having to write? Is it a whole script sort of thing, or a scene, or just a general idea? That would help us help you. I've definitely adapted parts of SYWTBAW into graphic novel form (in Spanish!), written some poems based on parts of HW, and also done a dramatic interpretation of a section of HW, so I know a bit about adaptations of these books.

Comment

First -- that sounds seriously awesome, and I am jealous! Going to second running_alone's question, though. If you're trying to adapt the entire novel, you'll obviously have to get rid of a lot more than if you're just trying to get in a few scenes.

I've tried my hand at writing a movie adaptation of a novel before, and while I'm not going to say I'm any good at it, the most important thing I learned was probably about dialogue. Books can spend a lot of time describing a scene, telling us how people look or what something feels like, but in anything scripted, dialogue has to hold that much more weight. So if you're thinking about which scenes to keep, maybe think through the novel and latch onto your favorite dialogues? (In addition, of course, to some key scenes that are solitary/without speech -- like Nita discovering the manual, or the climactic moment where she revises the Lone One's name in the Book of Night with Moon.)

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of the entire thing, and I didn't know what scenes to cut or anything. I've never done a dramatic or humorous interpretation of ''anything'' before, so I'd appreciate any help.

Comment

Phew. That's going to take you a long time to write. Scripts are HARD. Besides the all-important dialogue, like Redhead mentioned, another thing that is really important in movies is visual-type cues. You have to make things really obvious that aren't said aloud, because there's no narrator or third person voice to cue you into those types of things.

On the other hand, I'm going to flip through my book again later today or tomorrow, and I'll let you know what I think about scenes and such. Good luck!

Comment

Guys, may I once again remind you about any specifics of fanfic plot/characters, etc. etc. having to stay off this board?

Young Wizards Board-Specific Rules or Why We're Not Like Other Boards

DD's gotta stay fanfic free because she wants to read this board, and can't afford a possible lawsuit at any point. Also, you do know that she was also working on a script for a SYWTBAW movie, right? I honestly think this may not be the place to have this particular discussion. Sorry, guys, I know it stinks, but I'm closing this thread down before someone says something that could get us into trouble-land.
            Last edited by Kathy Li; June 20, 2011, 11:52:55 PM.
            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Working...
            X