couple thoughts on multiple threads so made one of my own

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• couple thoughts on multiple threads so made one of my own

Just thought I'd write a couple bits. I loved the feline books, more so BONWM then TSTQ, but they were both excellent... they were particularly written for an adult audience, so younger people wouldn't be as interested in the detailing of the wizardy, which is what I imagine some people called "dry". I loved it personally and Diane Duane must be extremely knowledgable in the hard sciences because the way she makes magic happen in the feline books have purpose and meaning, i can understand them. rather than in the young wizard books where they just talk to something. i think that's what i liked most about the series, that and i'm a serious cat lover.

side fact, about two months ago i rescued a blind kitten (birth defect) from a ranch i was visiting (and used to work at), and I named her Arhu, seemed incredibly fitting somehow.

I'm a cat person too! I have two rescured cats, and I love them to bits! DD made that book come alive with all the catty details. For me thats what brought out the magic in these wonderful books! Most writers would humanise the cats so much they lose there cat behavour but not DD! instead she gave all thoses cat movements and playful things a meaning and made it so believable! She wrote the story around cats mystoerous life styles instead of not inculding them at all! Its a shame that they were not popular enough to continue the series
    Fox
    God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

My mom's cat went missing for a few days, and we wondered whether he was on errantry. Evidence? He was tired when he got home (my mom honestly, sincerely acted like this was a change from his usual behavior).
      I have been wondering... what would happen if DD did a story about what the wizards in NY were doing on 9/11/01? Wasn't there supposed to be a gating facility at the World Trade Center? I hope no one thinks I am being disrespectful by suggesting this; it's just that so much of my concept of NY comes from her books-- I've never been.

Comment

Actually, now you've got me thinking. If train stations and space stations have a general gating/transit affinity, wouldn't airports also have gates and gate technicians? Bus stations? Trucking? Internet hubs? Do UPS/USPS/FedEx do wizard package transiting on the side, as well? Or would wizards prefer to simply pay the overnight fee, and not stress the system by doing something the mundane way?
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

I was at the Post Office this afternoon. I can just imagine. "Anything perishable? Anything fragile? ANYTHING POTENTIALLY HAZARDOUS (say, the kernel of your universe)?"

Comment

Kli6 In a subway cats are seen oftern becasue wild cats sometimes hide out in the tunnels hunting rat etc but have you ever seen a cat in a airport?? I have'nt so I think it would be hard for them to work! Unless they slip between (go invisable) but that would use alot of there energy, no?
            Fox

Oh Talkingbeasts! I nevere thought of that and now you have me thinking about that!! haha, though if DD did write a story based on thoses events would not people think that she was trying to cash in on that terrible day? I would not think that but others would!
            God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

Fox, just as evidence that feral cats can also live at airports: http://www.foap.on.ca/airport.html (and when's the last time you saw a cat in a subway tunnel?).

Heck, there are even cats in the Hermitage.

talkingbeast: hee! What about trying to get media rate on the Book of Night With Moon...?
              New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

kli6, wonderful! I got curious and checked www.ironfrog.com (which has a clickable map of library cats), but the NY Public Library doesn't admit to any beyond the stone lions out front.
                As for sending the bright book media rate--hm, you probably could but you'd probably have to pledge your soul or something if you wanted to get it insured.
                I was thinking, though, after posting about the post office: If you couldn't mail items and had to carry them yourself, you might have some interesting hurdles to clear at airport security.
                "Are you carrying any weapons?"
                "Yes, a willow twig I peeled and left out in the moonlight."
                "Anything else?"
                "A television gimbal, but it's strictly for defensive use."
                Or you could imagine the complications if a security guard tried to examine Filif's shoes.

Comment

Hmmm, needs saving as well... Post ppl post!!
                  ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
                  **Neets**
                  CAUTION: Being a member of YW forum may result in loss of sanity.

Kathy, me and G - I love you, chime, I hate you, chime, I can't live with out you.

Comment

Working...
                  X