An Idea For Another YW book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Idea For Another YW book

How aobut some wizard(s) that went bad but not bad enought to join It?

Waht you think

It's an interesting idea. But there are instances of beings who serve the Lone Power without really intending to-- I'm thinking of Bug-Eyed Monsters in particular-- so they might end up joining It anyway. What kind of things did you see these rogue wizards doing? I'm curious!

Comment

Like doing the opposite of what Nita and Kit do?

Use the power for bad instead of good or something like that...

Bring Daryll into it

Comment

<g> I've been thinking of making up some buttons that say "What would Kit & Nita do?" My friends still have my button maker, though.

Comment

Well, in Wizard's Holiday DD did mention whole planets who's Choices invloved making Entropy go faster, so its rather possible.

Comment

I want abutton! Yeah, that would be a really interesting twist. Becasue in all of the books thus far, they have always been dealing with the Lone Power directly. Really horrible lackys would be a interesting change.
            Ask not for whom the dog barks. It barks for thee.
            :wigglesmile:
            And really bad eggs...
            Go salaí cúnna ifrinn do chuid calóga arbhair.
            S.P.R.B.I (Semi Puke Related
            Barf Incident)
            Weak Sauce!

Comment

You want a button. I want a shirt that says "Greetings and defiance" (I would wear it at a public service desk at the library).
              But I'm still confused about the story idea. Are we talking moderately antisocial wizards or truly nasty and destructive ones?

Comment

Why not both. That would make it really interesting. And not just pshyco nut jobs who still live with their parents at the age of 37 kind of crack pots, becasue that is what everybody expects. But the really bad things. People who are the essence of one great bad feeling. Embodied. But just one. Maybe somebody could feel such a pwoerful emotion that they create this horrible power. Somthing like that. that is what I envision.
                Ask not for whom the dog barks. It barks for thee.
                :wigglesmile:
                And really bad eggs...
                Go salaí cúnna ifrinn do chuid calóga arbhair.
                S.P.R.B.I (Semi Puke Related
                Barf Incident)
                Weak Sauce!

Comment

Yes, but it would be so much deeper if the if the ideals of the wizards-gone-bad were just confused, and they were not totally evil. It's easy to hate someone who is pure evil; but pure evil is hardly ever a true characteristic of human being. It is not all just black and white. The LP could have convinced some wizards that the Powers made it all up about entropy and what they (the Powers) really wanted was personal bodyguards or something...and the wizards could be convinced to go over. But it would be infinitely more interesting if the wizards were not pure evil. Doubt, sadness, pity...ooh, how about a POV chara that was on the dark side? So we could see through his/her eyes. Interesting...*strokes chin thoughtfully*
                  *Ella*
                  "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
                  There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
                  And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
                  What could mean more than this?"
                  --Bright Eyes

Comment

Well.. *thinks* You're right, it is interesting- the idea of a character who is confused about wizardry, it sounds like, or who's got their morals a little twisted. But it seems to me that, while they might not be consciously working for the Lone Power, ultimately they would be contributing to his cause. It's like leaving lights on. You don't do it because you want to help entropy, you do it because you forget or something. (Mundane examples rule)
                    Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

But is it even possible for a wizard to be working for the dark side? After all, the whole idea of wizardry is to stop entropy. So can the wizardry be used for bad purposes? You'd lose it, wouldn't you?

On the other hand, you might only lose it if you were knowingly using your wizardry for bad. If you thought you were doing the right thing...and the Powers know that the LP is capable of misleading and confusing people. Look at the original Song of the Twelve! Three of them were convinced! But would the bright Powers be able to interfere with that?
                      *Ella*
                      "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
                      There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
                      And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
                      What could mean more than this?"
                      --Bright Eyes

Comment

"Wizardry does not live in the unwilling heart" something tells me that means that you can't be a wizard, which means preserving Life and stopping entropy, if you don't intend to do what the Powers created wizardry for... although what Ella is saying makes sense too...
                        *Agent~M*
                        "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                        "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                        "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                        "I could live

Comment

If they were confused as to WHAT preserved life, then I say that it would be possible, yes.

Comment

*confidently* No, you're wrong. (Sorry, I really needed to tell someone that today...)

In The Book of Night With Moon, they're looking for the person who wiped the authorization logs for the gates. There are no signs as to who it was, and Carl and Rhiow have a breif discussion about the possibility that it might have been a "rogue." These are (oit explains) wizards who aren't unwilling to do wizardry (so the "unwilling" clause is cut)... they're jsut willing to lose it for the wrong purposes. IIRC, it may be because they get their power from the Lone One- like Haath.

*runs to get book* *returns* Look! Quotage!
                            Sometimes... juse sometimes... one of another of them [wizards] would shift alleigances. There was...[a Power] which had had a profound disagreement with the universe... and it was still around.
                            So, rogues definitely exist, and the implication is that they draw power from the LP.
                            Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Soooo, even if they're misguided, they're still drawing their power from the LP?

I suppose that works, yeah. The bright Powers would not, er, subsidize a wizard who, while acting according to their concience, was at the same time doing the work of the LP.

Comment

Working...
                              X