Tall, dark, and/or handsome men

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tall, dark, and/or handsome men

You never know what's going to be an in-joke; maybe someone can clue me in. I was remarking to my sister that all the males in Nita's life seem to have dark hair. Kit, Tom, Carl, Ronan, quite possibly her father from the way he silvered early, Darryl, and even Ponch! Tom, Carl and Ronan are tall and good-looking to boot. I don't have TWD with me, but Mr. Millman, I think, was dark as well. Afterwards, rereading the feline books, I found that Rhiow's ehhif Mike/Iaehh is dark and good-looking.

Roshaun, of course, would be an obvious exception. But it still seems like there's an odd preponderance of dark people. The tallness and handsomeness could just reflect normal proportions of the population. :shrug: I probably wouldn't have noticed those parts of descriptions if it hadn't been so funny, years ago, that Tom and Carl sounded so similar.

You know, I've never really noticed that...But it's very interesting. No blondes in Young Wizards I guess. Good job noticing that! I basically clicked on this topic just for the title. *blush*
    penguins will rule the world.

Comment

Heh, me too Z
      Roshaun is tall but he's blonde.... I think. Long blonde hair or something....
      short post.... *runs away from Poot*
      ... or has Poot retired? I'm not sure anymore! I don't come on here enough.... :P
      *Agent~M*
      "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
      "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
      "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
      "I could live

Comment

No I think it said that he had long, curly, black hair. oh well i guess we will never find out!!!
        Dai stiho cousins
        ~~~Ezra

Comment

Err.. the Concordance says otherwise:
          ... he is tall and (by both his standards and hers) extremely good-looking -- and knows it. With his very long fair hair, emerald-green eyes and chiseled features, Roshaun strongly resembles your average anime prince ...
          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

XD I checked out the topic for the same reason. Hehe. Green eyes would make it perfect.

Anyway, Eavan already mentioned how Roshaun was an exception in the first post, second paragraph.
            Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

I basically clicked on this topic just for the title. *blush*
              Uhhh... Was I supposed to have clicked on it for any OTHER reason? I totally did the same thing> In my head I thought...tall, thin, dark, guys are HOT!!

Yeah, Roshaun is like the ONLY blonde in all of YW. There's a bit of red but it's mostly brown. But I dont really mind, cause brunettes rock!

With his very long fair hair, emerald-green eyes and chiseled features, Roshaun strongly resembles your average anime prince ...
              But then again I have NOTHING aginast anime princes... *runs of to make out with an anime prince/high priest/hottie...* Heheheh, I wrote that...*giggles and falls of chair*...(is partially drunk on strange French drinks)

Comment

Yes, that'd be really funny if one of the guys from this site clicked on this topic and actually commented.
                Being a fangirl, I love anime bishies, (I think that's what they're called.) Or princes. But it's kind of weird to think you think a cartoon character is cute. (Or a character from a book for some of us.)
                penguins will rule the world.

Comment

Ha, my friend said she thought Prince Eric (from the little Mermaid) was cute... And there'd be nothing wrong w/ a guy clicking on this topic. Those types of guys are always the cutest/nicest .

Well of course they all have dark hair, wizards arent ditzy blondes *ducks rocks from any blondes* *cough* I mean, she didn't want people to think of that stereotype for any of her char.. and Roshaun, well .... Besides, he can pull it off by being a prince.

Comment

But it's kind of weird to think you think a cartoon character is cute. (Or a character from a book for some of us.)
                    Ah, well. :-) Even when you find a Real Life person cute, it's based not only on what they look/feel/sound like, but on the idea of them. What you perceive their personality to be, what personal fantasies and ideals they seem to fit into...

I'm thinking maybe that's partly responsible for this "I like brunettes and not ditzy blondes" thing. That involves more than whether the brunette in question is even-featured or fit or the like. It relies on a mental image wherein maturity and dark hair are linked. That could be what's at work in the YW books, too. Tatiana suggests it:

Well of course they all have dark hair, wizards arent ditzy blondes *ducks rocks from any blondes* *cough* I mean, she didn't want people to think of that stereotype for any of her char.. and Roshaun, well .... Besides, he can pull it off by being a prince.
                    I doubt that's what DD was doing, because it would a) underestimate her ability to build characters, and b) buy into this myth that one's hair color is an important factor in shaping one's personality.

Funnily enough, Nita seems to be moving in the lighter-haired direction. Somewhere in another thread (and yes, I did seek and fail to find), her newly "light brunette" hair in the excerpt is explained by DD's seeing a girl who was Nita, and who had dark blonde hair.

I have to admit, this is a source of discomfort for me. It's probably simply because to me she's had dark hair for seven years. It might be because I link her dark hair with her serious, mature character. It could be because I'm dark blonde, and for a character who's always been very different from me to start looking like me is unnerving.

Comment

I don't know if this has already been covered because I didn't read all the posts in this topic, but you forgot to cover one very important tall, 'dark', and handosme guy in Nita's life, The Lone Power. The Fairest and Fallen. Okay, yes, he is described as having red hair but he is 'dark' He's probably the darkest of all the men in Nita's life. Well, okay He's dark not in the physical sense but still, anyway, just thought I'd bring it up.
                      -----------------
                      I wrestled the angels for more than a name.
                      Loyal page to Squire Garth.
                      My fantasy RP

Comment

I have something to say to eaven moore.

First of all:
                        I think that stereotypr stinks!!!

It is not a blond's fault if they are blonde.

I did notice now that you mention it that most of the characters are blonde, but that doesn't mean that smart blondes aren't out there.

You might find that blondes will get upset when you say that.

Blondes can be just as smart as brunnets
                        sehlinger
                        PS I am not mad I am just kidding
                        -AND I AM GOING TO EAT....IT... ALLLLLLLLLLLLL

Comment

Well it could also be because a majority of the world's population has dark hair and eyes. I'm not sure of the actual percentage, but there aren't that many natural blondes or redheads on this planet. I believe about 6% is natural red and about 10% is natural blonde and the rest is some kind of brown or black.

I always pictured Nita with sort of light golden brown hair so it's not so much of a change to hear her described as 'light brunette.'

Tee hee.. I'm a blonde, but I don't mind the blonde jokes. I find them quite funny actually.

Comment

I like blonde jokes it's just that I get upset with the whole "blondes are twits" type of thing. I am the oddball in my group of friends, and have been officially dubbed "the nerd" so stupid blondes aren't always the case.
                            sehlinger
                            PS I always thought of nita as dark haired, don't know why though
                            -AND I AM GOING TO EAT....IT... ALLLLLLLLLLLLL

Comment

Where I live, blonde jokes are funny, because most of the blondes in my school are your stereotypical blonde: cheerleader, with the football boyfriend, and not the brightest light in the room. I have nothing against blondes...but having dark brown hair does seem to make me seem more like "the smart one" in my group of friends. I happen to like tall, dark, and/or handsome men. But blondes are cool too.

-seabiscuit, a.k.a. hungry

Comment

Working...
                              X