Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A review I read recently.. (annoyed about misconceptions re YW)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A review I read recently.. (annoyed about misconceptions re YW)

Early this morning I was surfing a board I read kinda irregularly, and rarely post to, when I saw someone talking about TBONWM. Of course, I went to take a look, and this is what I saw:

Has anyone read The Book of Night with Moon by Diane Duane?

Fantastic book.

How many of you have read Duane's "So You Want to Be a Wizard", and the other books in that series? It's kids' fantasy, for the most part, though some of it's points - entropy, heatdeath of the universe - probably go right over the heads of it's younger readers.

This is set in the same world, same universe, same general rules. The biggest difference, though, is that the main characters are cats. Cat wizards, living in New York city.

On the surface, it probably sounds like a cheesy, children's thing, and I suppose that once again, it's supposed to be a kids' book. Though I've never met the kid who could understand all the things in this book.

The best part about this book, as far as I can see, is how perfectly she weaves a cat.. culture into the book, and combines it with the cat wizards. And she makes quite a few references to all the usual cat behaviors; the scratching, the purring, the wierd way they behave towards each other.

Well. Not exactly a well structured review here, but, if any of you need ideas, or just want a break from the usual fantasy, give this book at try.

You don't need to have read the So You Want To Be A Wizard books either, though you may catch more references if you have.

(Cut and paste job, BTW: I did not ask permission of the poster to do this and I'm real sorry for that but I couldn't contact them. I probably should have asked in my annoyed response to the post, but I forgot. But I didn't edit this at all, so I hope I'm not misrepresenting this person)

And I got... incensed, and replied basically in that state (I was very polite, though. I told him that I knew lots of "kids," and linked the forum, who had a perfect understanding of these "complex" points, and also could use apostrophes correctly, which is more that can be said of him. Frankly they're not all that complex anyway; the treatment of them and some of the ethical ideals might be, though of course not "too difficult" a standard, but the idea of entropy as treated in SYWTBAW is not a hugely difficult one, and if he/she thought it was they might be the ones with the problems.)

Anyway, then I was thinking about it, and thinking what a stupid, stupid idea that was (And thinking about myself at seventeen probably still classified as a "kid," and the numerous "kids" on the forum, and also anywhere else reading these books, and the total injustice that's been done them by this utter tit, and ) and then I was just thinking about the idea of Young Adult literature, and Children's, and Adults, and whether people can or can't understand stuff at different ages.

Personally, I decided, I think there is, from time to time, stuff that kids- and I don't mean kids as in the target YW group, I mean kids as in six or seven year olds- don't understand, most of which centers around sex and sexual politics. My best friend often gives a classic example of how when she was six or so she was reading some dodgy historical fiction tome- I can't remember the title- and reading a reasonably graphic sex scene, which she read pretty much without comprehension- it's not that she didn't understand what was happening, she didn't understand the significance. (Interesting sidenote: although she read the scene, and wasn't embarassed just didn't understand, she told her parents that she'd skipped that scene. I've always thought that was the most interesting bit of the story, but perhaps not really relevent here.) Young Adults- in the sense meant by the bookshop classification here- on the other hand would almost certainly understand it. Scratch that, make it certainly. We're not stupid here.
    However, with the dubious exception of sex, I don't believe that there is anything kids don't understand when they read. (How condescending "kids" sounds... I don't mean it like that.) Of course, this depends on how much a kid reads and whether he or she wants to understand, is engaged, and stuff. But for any child where there is a connection involved, of course they understand. If he's "never met a child who could understand this book," well frankly I've never met a child who couldn't.

How about you? What do you think? Shall we grammar-bash this idiot? Is that unkind? Was this whole post just an excuse for me to be nasty to this guy in a way I wasn't in my restrained post? Is that fair? Is it ironic that after complaining about his grammar I then misspelt comparison ("comparision") in the title to my response?
    Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Early this morning I was surfing a board I read kinda irregularly, and rarely post to, when I saw someone talking about TBONWM. Of course, I went to take a look, and this is what I saw:

Has anyone read The Book of Night with Moon by Diane Duane?

Fantastic book.

How many of you have read Duane's "So You Want to Be a Wizard", and the other books in that series? It's kids' fantasy, for the most part, though some of it's points - entropy, heatdeath of the universe - probably go right over the heads of it's younger readers.

This is set in the same world, same universe, same general rules. The biggest difference, though, is that the main characters are cats. Cat wizards, living in New York city.

On the surface, it probably sounds like a cheesy, children's thing, and I suppose that once again, it's supposed to be a kids' book. Though I've never met the kid who could understand all the things in this book.

The best part about this book, as far as I can see, is how perfectly she weaves a cat.. culture into the book, and combines it with the cat wizards. And she makes quite a few references to all the usual cat behaviors; the scratching, the purring, the wierd way they behave towards each other.

Well. Not exactly a well structured review here, but, if any of you need ideas, or just want a break from the usual fantasy, give this book at try.

You don't need to have read the So You Want To Be A Wizard books either, though you may catch more references if you have.

(Cut and paste job, BTW: I did not ask permission of the poster to do this and I'm real sorry for that but I couldn't contact them. I probably should have asked in my annoyed response to the post, but I forgot. But I didn't edit this at all, so I hope I'm not misrepresenting this person)

And I got... incensed, and replied basically in that state (I was very polite, though. I told him that I knew lots of "kids," and linked the forum, who had a perfect understanding of these "complex" points, and also could use apostrophes correctly, which is more that can be said of him. Frankly they're not all that complex anyway; the treatment of them and some of the ethical ideals might be, though of course not "too difficult" a standard, but the idea of entropy as treated in SYWTBAW is not a hugely difficult one, and if he/she thought it was they might be the ones with the problems.)

Anyway, then I was thinking about it, and thinking what a stupid, stupid idea that was (And thinking about myself at seventeen probably still classified as a "kid," and the numerous "kids" on the forum, and also anywhere else reading these books, and the total injustice that's been done them by this utter tit, and ) and then I was just thinking about the idea of Young Adult literature, and Children's, and Adults, and whether people can or can't understand stuff at different ages.

Personally, I decided, I think there is, from time to time, stuff that kids- and I don't mean kids as in the target YW group, I mean kids as in six or seven year olds- don't understand, most of which centers around sex and sexual politics. My best friend often gives a classic example of how when she was six or so she was reading some dodgy historical fiction tome- I can't remember the title- and reading a reasonably graphic sex scene, which she read pretty much without comprehension- it's not that she didn't understand what was happening, she didn't understand the significance. (Interesting sidenote: although she read the scene, and wasn't embarassed just didn't understand, she told her parents that she'd skipped that scene. I've always thought that was the most interesting bit of the story, but perhaps not really relevent here.) Young Adults- in the sense meant by the bookshop classification here- on the other hand would almost certainly understand it. Scratch that, make it certainly. We're not stupid here.
    However, with the dubious exception of sex, I don't believe that there is anything kids don't understand when they read. (How condescending "kids" sounds... I don't mean it like that.) Of course, this depends on how much a kid reads and whether he or she wants to understand, is engaged, and stuff. But for any child where there is a connection involved, of course they understand. If he's "never met a child who could understand this book," well frankly I've never met a child who couldn't.

How about you? What do you think? Shall we grammar-bash this idiot? Is that unkind? Was this whole post just an excuse for me to be nasty to this guy in a way I wasn't in my restrained post? Is that fair? Is it ironic that after complaining about his grammar I then misspelt comparison ("comparision") in the title to my response?
    Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Hmm, interesting questions. Just the other day, I was trying to decide at what age I think I had pretty much settled into the personality I have today (at 25) and decided that it was 7 or 8. So, if I were to spend one on one time with kids of various ages, that's the point where I'd feel it's reasonable to have normal non-kiddified conversations with them. Not that I'd try and debate world politics, and also not that I think that even-younger kids aren't yet smart and rational, but just that that's the point where I look back and see as much of "myself" in me as I do looking back only a year.

That said, there *are* some interesting points in any of the YW books that I wouldn't have really gotten the depth of at that age, notably the whole foundation of the Choice. I'm trying to put that age in context of what I was reading at the time; let's see, at 7 I started reading John Bellairs, whose stories were spooky mysteries with evil spirits that could be defeated with a clever mind and a handy bottle of holy water from Father Higgins, or the magical Urim and Thummim medalions of the ancient Hebrews, etc. So, I was aware of some religious symbology by that point, but I also remember that it wasn't until I was 11 that I was exposed to the idea of original sin, by way of the friend who was visiting for spring break informing me nicely that I'm going to hell on account of my religion :-)

So, I'm not too sure that I would have noticed the significance of the Choice without really having paid attention the the moral significance of Creation stories yet. I probably would have enjoyed them merely as more-complex John Bellairs adventures, when really there's so much more to them on a whole bunch of levels, not just the religious one.

I suppose a lot of what a 7-8 year-old would get out of these books depends on what in particular they had already been exposed to in life or other reading; I'd consider myself to have been a fairly big reader at that age, (I checked out my limit of 5 concurrent library books at least once a day over the summers) but there are still wisdoms in these books I don't think I'd have identified yet. (Heck, there probably *still* are!)
      Ardub
      r:w)

Comment

Hmmmn.. Tui how old was the person who wrote this? Do you know?

I've been reading on my own since I was about 4, but dad used to read to me every night before that. Then it was the usual kids books, Dr. Seuss and so on. When I got into primary school, I started reading novels - Enid Blyton, Goosebumps and Narnia. I read for the sheer enjoyment of it, just to find out what happened in the end. I never realised that the Narnia books held so much symbolism until year 7 Religious Education. That kind of spoiled it for me in a way, because I read for the sheer enjoyment of it - to get away from the 'real' world and such.

Then dad intro'ed me to the YW books in the fourth term of year 7 (1999 - I was 12 at the time). There were some things in there that I didn't really understand, such as Entropy (that one I fixed by looking it up in the dictionary that night - and reading further on in the book of course). The 'Choice' thing didn't really click for a couple of years, but then I don't really like to analyse good books too much.

Personally, I think that someone under 10 could read these books and 'understand' them from the sheer enjoyment point of view - taking everything in context with the books and not worrying about intertextuality, meanings and the rest of it. If they were inclined enough, they would probably pretend they were a wizard at lunch times and beg their parents for a copy of SYWTBAW just so they could carry it around and pretend it was their manual.

Hmm.. I have waffled a bit, haven't I? Anyways...

As for understanding and analysing books - oh and recognising intertextuality and all that - I didn't really start until last year, courtesy of my English teacher. Because we had to read classics and analyse them - books that I would have never read normally - My horizons were broadened and I started to recognise (and unfortunately analyse) references to other texts in the books that I was reading.

Then again there are some things in the YW books that I would have never realised or understood unless I had come here and read some of your posts - such as the reference to Dr. Who in HW. But yeah... I have now run out of things to waffle on about so I will post this.

Alla

Comment

Here's what I have to say:

I think kids, even young kids, can understand what they read, if only from their point of view. I have three younger siblings, ages 8, 9, and 10, and they know exactly what they're reading. We've been holding a family book club lately, reading the Chronicles of Narnia, and they understand what's going on. When we read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, they caught on to the meaning of Aslan's sacrifice right away. Younger children, even teenagers, are often underestimated by adults. Even if other people don't see things our way, who's to say they're not right? You never really know what the author intended. Sometimes people try to find hidden meanings when there are none.

I agree with alla on the fact that I never read to analyze. I read for the simple enjoyment of reading, to go into the world of the book. If I don't see the deeper levels, so what? I still know what the plot is, and I like the book. I started reading when I was young, about 2 or 3. The first novels I remember reading were the Little House series. I knew the whole time what they were talking about, and I was only in kidnergarten, about 5 or 6 years old. Just because you're young doesn't mean you're somehow stupid.

But as a whole, I'm not sure everyone would get the point to the Young Wizards books, especially if they didn't read much. I know some people my age who probably wouldn't. I know I'm wavering back and forth, but some kids will understand the books and some won't. Mainly, I think, that ones that understand will be the ones who read the books. The ones that wouldn't get it are the ones who don't read anyway.
          Founder of the "Posts for ToGR" foundation. Keep the ToGR alive by a donation of one post!
          "But before the happily ever after, there was always a kiss." ~Misread, my novel-in-progress!
          "If I wasn't smart, I'd be dead."~The Naming, by Alice Croggon

Comment

Working...
          X