Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for DD: do you read your books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for DD: do you read your books?

Dai Stiho,
    I love your books, but i wonder, do you read them....i know u know everything that has ever happened, and that there might not be any point to it...but do you read your own books?

Dai,

With great power comes great responsibility.

Donn MacGreine

Donn~~Celtic God of the Dead.

MacGreine~Tuatha de Danann God symbolizing the fire element.

Dai Stiho,
    I love your books, but i wonder, do you read them....i know u know everything that has ever happened, and that there might not be any point to it...but do you read your own books?

Dai,

With great power comes great responsibility.

Donn MacGreine

Donn~~Celtic God of the Dead.

MacGreine~Tuatha de Danann God symbolizing the fire element.

Comment

A lot of writers don't. I know of one writer, I think Christopher Pike, who almost NEVER reads his own material.

Aurora the Phoenix

Comment

I do read them, at least twice, sometimes more than that. I read when they first come out in print, and I read each book again usually two or three years after I've finished it -- it takes at least that long to forget the actual "business" of writing the thing, so that it can be enjoyed on its own merits.

And yes, sometimes I do get embarrassed by what I read. Writers change, like everybody else...

-- DD
        -- DD

Comment

I've heard a lot of writer's say that, a common disease for the profession I guess!

DD - is there any sentence, or section, of any of the books you've had published that - in hindsight - you wish you hadn't written?

LittleOwl xx

'Felis Catus is your taxonomic nomenclature. An endothermic qaudroped, carniverous by nature.'
          'Felis Catus is your taxonomic nomenclature. An endothermic qaudroped, carniverous by nature.'

Comment

Ooh good question. >:0

Evil will always lose.- Miep Gies
            *Agent~M*
            "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
            "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
            "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
            "I could live

Comment

Comment

Mmm... actually, it can change and seem naive (Double dots over the "i", IIRC) over a verys hort period. I mena, about a month ago I sent a poem off to this national magazine for the teenager's page (the AMP page of The Listener). I didn't really expect it to get published, but it just did yesterday- and I don't like it o much. It's OK, but I think I've written better stuff, and I'm a little embarassed at it- this is a national magazine which just about everyone I know reads! (blush!) So I wouldn't dismiss the time period...
                T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
                Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
                Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
                Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
                My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
                Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
                Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

There comes a point in a composer's development when he or she stops withdrawing works as 'juvenilia' and considers all of his or her works written after that point to be 'mature' works that are representative of his or her thoughts on music.
                  (He also said that he thinks that he is close to that point himself.)

When I look over or listen to compositions that I have written in the past (even just a few weeks or months ago), I usually find lots of things which are less than optimal (sometimes even making me wonder what I was thinking of when I wrote the part in question), but there are always some ideas and/or passages which I still find appealing and wouldn't want to change. Luckily, I am finding an increasing number passages that I still find appealing in my more recent compositions, though that could be just because I am writing faster these days and am thus considering the finished composition closer to its time of inception.

While we're asking DD fairly personal questions about her writing, I'm curious as to how the later YW books compare with any ideas about future YW books she had at the time of writing SYWTBAW (if she still remembers, of course).

Nathan

Ubi materia, ibi geometria. --Johannes Kepler

Non doctrinam, sed perspicuitatem quaero.
                  Omnia disce, videbis postea nihil esse superfluum.

Comment

Looking back at my earlier musical compistions, I do find myself criticsing some of them. Others I still think as fine, but are too simplistic - I would write the same thing, but in a more musical interesting way.
                    "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

Working...
                    X