Foreshadowing in the series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foreshadowing in the series

So there are various instances of foreshadowing in this series, and I've caught a few, but I bet there are others out there.

My list:

SYWTBAW:
    1. The blank-check spell becomes a major plot element in DW.
    2. Nita reads about the Transcendent Pig, and learns what question to ask it--she meets the Pig in WD.

Deep Wizardry:
    1. Nita realizes she can't speak to Kit mind-to-mind. She dismisses it as a quirk of being in whaleshape, but it turns into another plot point in High Wizardry.
    2. Dairine noticing the manual on her own and then becomes a wizard in HW. This might qualify as foreshadowing, but it's pretty well stated, so it might not.

There are more that I suspect might show up in future books--Carl's comment in DW about there being no higher payment than lifeprice, and then amending that to: "Well, one." may show up later, for example.

I know there are more--I just can't think of them right now. Anybody?

I found one today while listening to the "SYWTBAW" audiobook*:

When Nita first visits Timeheart ("really," not in the dream/premonition at the beginning), she mistakes the first character she finds, the Lotus, for a shark. Which is the first character she finds in Timeheart in "Deep Wizardry."

-Tabby
    the princess with claws

*Good Lord, I could not love those audiobooks more! There's nothing better than sittiding down with my tape player and my cross-stitch. When I get back on campus I'll have to see if the University library(where I can check stuff out for six months at a time! ^^) has them.

Comment

I wonder whether the mention of the Transcendent Pig in SYWTBAW can really be considered foreshadowing, per se, as (given Diane's comments in 'Another interview....' & 'Meeting the Transcendent Pig' in the 'Random Thoughts from the Author' section of this forum) it seems that the part Chao plays in the plot was not known at the time SYWTBAW was written.

In fact, given Diane's comment that she has only recently been feeling comfortable starting long "story arcs" in the YW universe (from 'Another interview....') and her remark that there is another 'feline wizards' book that is outlined, but unwritten due to sluggish sales of the first two 'feline wizards' books (sorry, I can't seem to find the reference, but it is on this forum), I wonder how many books there were in the original conception of the series (and if Diane has a definite 'ending point' she is working towards [my guess would be that she doesn't, though I'm not exactly sure exactly what I'm basing this 'hunch' on, or why I have the chutzpah to speculate so wildly]).

Nathan

Ubi materia, ibi geometria. --Johannes Kepler

Non doctrinam, sed perspicuitatem quaero.
      Omnia disce, videbis postea nihil esse superfluum.

Comment

Found another one within DW: The first big wizardry Nita does in the book is healing S'Ree, and it starts with her looking for something to cut herself on.

-Tabby
        the princess with claws

Comment

good spot! I never thought of that

*Wooosh I be polydactial yo!*
          *Wooosh I be polydactial yo!*

Comment

How about in SYWTBAW when Nita changes The Lone Power's name, offering him a way out? It culminates in the climax of HW.
            ****Disclaimer****
            The contents of this post do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of Simon Fairfax

Comment

Ooh, that's a good one.
              T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
              Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
              Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
              Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
              My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
              Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
              Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Working...
              X