Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sagittarius Arm

Summary: Protected "[[Sagittarius Arm]]" [edit=sysop:move=sysop]

[[Image:Galactic_arm_map.jpg|thumb|right|500px|Map of the major galactic arms, showing the Sagittarius Arm]] A major arm of the [[Milky Way | Milky Way galaxy]].

One of this arm's offshoots is the [[Orion Arm]] or [[Local Spur Arm]], which contains [[Earth | Earth's]] [[Sun, the | Sun.]] ([[SYWTBAW]] et seq.)

More...

Yeah, we're technically not really a major arm, sort of a sub arm. But I think astronomer overuse the name Orion. I know of at least three celestial Orions. There's the constellation Orion the Hunter, there's the Orion Nebula, and there's the Orion sub arm of the Milky Way.
    "This will look great next to my restraining order from Leonard Nimoy!" ~ Sheldon, Big Bang Theory

Comment

They give them the same name because they are located in the same direction i.e. can be seen within the boundaries of the Orion constellation on a star map. The Orion Nebula is part of the Orion constellation. Of course, the Orion arm is more 'located near' than 'comfortably fits in', an issue which is complicated by the fact that we are in the Orion arm, so there are stars of the Orion arm located in all directions from the Solar System. But if we are to look along the arm, we are looking through the Orion constellation to do so.

Comment

Working...
      X