Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Roll Over, Einstein: Pillar of Physics Challenged"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Roll Over, Einstein: Pillar of Physics Challenged"?

Huh. Found an article in the San Jose Mercury News that states that European researchers clocked a neutrino going faster than the speed of light. Here's the link:Roll over Einstein: Law of physics challenged - San Jose Mercury News

Weird . . .

Originally posted by LifeSong View Post
    Huh. Found an article in the San Jose Mercury News that states that European researchers clocked a neutrino going faster than the speed of light.
    More than one, I gather.

My guess is they'll find they over-compensated for something somewhere in some complicated data-reduction formula, and that it's not actually breaking the Laws of Physics.*

* Insert standard Scotty qote...
    -- Rick.

Comment

wait a minute...

... aren't the "laws of physics" merely those things, characteristics, properties, behaviors and reactions about physical objects which we have observed happening?

In which case, if neutrinos go faster than the speed of light (and I'm not saying they do, nor that the report is reliable or unreliable), then they wouldn't be breaking the laws of physics... they would just be revealing some law we didn't previously have a chance to observe in action (or some variant of a law we already observed).

You know - like chess. The king can only move one space at a time (nothing goes faster than the speed of light). Except when you castle him (Except neutrinos in Geneva). ;-)
      Last edited by SpacePen; September 27, 2011, 08:33:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X