No announcement yet.

Television

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

I agree, in the end, they talk for like 3 minutes, giving gifts, advice, and in the book, they said" Children, we cant stay long...." And then they dissapear, not talk. I'm quoting this from memory, so forgive me for incorrectness.
      "Before God we are all equally wise-and equally foolish."
      "It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education."
      "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
      "If you are out to describe

Comment

Actually, I enjoyed the flick and thought they did better than I'd expected. Of course, my expectations were very very low, given that I'd seen Ring of Endless Light, which bore even LESS resemblance to the book than Wrinkle did. Also, I'd known that ABC had kept in on a shelf for over a year or so, which never bodes well. Usually if something's kickass, a studio can't wait to get it to screen.

Now let's all see how Sci-Fi Channel screws up the Earthsea Trilogy!
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Wait, you mean A Ring of Endless Light as in the Disney Channel version? I didn't know they had kept it on their shelves...I think I'm gonna read that book...
          Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
          ------------------------------------------------------------
          "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

Speaking of movies... if anyone is interested in new movies that are coming out.. there is a really cool site that shows you current and some not so current trailors and teasers. They also have lots written plot explanations for current and future movies. I say one that was reported to be in the making which won't appear until 2007. (Very interesting) They have everything that I had heard was coming out and many many more that I didn't. You should check it out if you are movie fans.

http://www.comingsoon.net/trailers/

*edit* Oh yeah.. the main reason I put this info up is because they have the 10 minute blurb for HPATPOA (Harry Potter)... the one that was stuck in the middle of the ABC showing of HPATSS.. (first one) only this one is altogether without the breaks. It takes a long time (even with cable) to run. Took my computer about 10 minutes to load it up... but it is worth it.
            -----------------------------I'm not paranoid! Which of my enemies told you this?
            The trouble with life is that you're half-way through it before you realize it's a do-it-yourself thing.
            I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get bac

Comment

Waaaah!!!! They (spoilers made white. Select to read) killed Wesley on ANGEL!!! They made Lorne kill Lindsay!. And worst of all, we won't know what happens, because the show's been cancelled!! Waaaaaaah!!!

Actually, I enjoyed the heck out of it. I thought it was a fitting end to a darn good show, and they had a lot of fun giving everybody their individual curtain calls. I especially loved Spike slamming his effulgent Cecily poem.

I'll miss it. But I can't wait to see what Joss Whedon comes up with next.
              Last edited by Kathy Li; October 24, 2020, 03:10:44 PM.
              New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Angel? I don't think I've ever heard of it... sounds like a drama show.
                Ooh! Ring of Endless Light!!! Great book, bad movie. But what else is new?
                *Agent~M*
                "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                "I could live

Comment

If you really wanna know what's new in US television, thefuntoncritic.com has all the upfront reportage on the coming fall season.

Comment

I babysat last night and I watched a lot of television (Jake: 2.0, CSI: Miami, Serial Killers, Foreign Correspondent and the Late news) and I know have some intresting facts to share about CSI.

Well, it's not actually all that interesting.... anyway, CSI Miami was horrible. >.< Child molester and murderer=not fun watching. Fortunately I had Serial Killers to tide me up (which was an extreme crackup because it's not what it sounds like: it's a NZ show about a bunch of script writers for a soap called "Heart of Hearts," whihc is suspiciously like NZ's real-life longest-ever-running soap, "Shortland Street." It's even funnier because almost everyone in the show has at some point worked on Shorty Street themselves- because, well, New Zealand is SMALL. EVERYONE in TV works on Shortland Street at some point in their career.)
                    Anyway, where was I? Interesting fact. Right. I think some of you watch CSI, yeah? Apparently in this week's episode there was some random props usage of Zoo Doos bags- these are big yello bags full of zebra and lion and all sorts of stuff manure, collected form zoos in... wait for it.... Auckland and Wellington. And Wellington Zoo is just down the road from my place. Apparently after CSI showed the bags Zoo Doos got calls from America asking about American suppliers.

*goes into paroxysms* Okay, this may not eb funny/interesting for you guys, but as far as I'm concerned, it's one of the more funny things I've heard in a while....!
                    Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Snert. My roses love the stuff, btw.

For anybody who does watch CSI, you do know that forensics people go bananas over the inaccuracies over all the science, right? Basically, just realize that they Hollywoodize everything. The specific criticism I heard was that in one scene, they show someone supergluing for a handprint on a wall, without using protective breathing apparatus, and while there are people passing in the background. Superglue vapor is highly flammable and bonds to the insides of your lungs, so you don't do it out in the open, or without protective gear, and you cordon off the area, if you do. And secondly, they had the handprint instantly appearing. Which wouldn't happen, until you powdered it...

Stuff like that. Personally, it was "The I-15 Killer" episode that made me realize how bad the science depiction was on the show. The clue that catches the serial killer was data from the truck-satellite-tracking system. I work for Qualcomm, who make Omnitracs--the only truck-satellite-trucking system in the US. I've done documentation for that operation center; I've interviewed its operators; and I've seen it in action. The version they put on the screen and how they did their data queries were... well, let's just say not in the realms of reality.

Comment

I guess I'm just not a CSI kind of person. I do however watch gobs and gobs of CourtTV. Forensic Files is amazing. And they have this show with profilers and all of it is real life cases. A&E also has some good stuff, like City Confidential and Cold Case Files. I was gonna be a forensic pathologist for a while, but then I changed my mind. I'd just rather watch it on TV.
                        http://superdrea.net/

Comment

*grins* Well, I could have guessed, though I didn't actually know. it's a bit of a shame- my mother was told that the two things that get people excited about science are astronomy and forensics- and msot of the forensics comes form CSI...
                          Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Drea, that's how Zuiker got the idea for CSI--because his wife was addicted to all the A&E truecrime shows.

Tui, well, they get the theory right, it's just in the application that they fall down. It's not like they don't use superglue vapor to get fingerprints.

Man, the season's ending. Now I'm stuck with just my summer midseasons to keep me going. BTW, anybody else seen the Dead Zone/Monk new season ad, set in a detectives' convention? What a hoot!

Comment

Ooh. New Monk. That would make me quite easily the happiest person on the couch for awhile. I haven't seen the ad. I just can't wait for the new ones to come.

Currently I'm watching Stargate SG-1, and they keep doing ads during the commercials for the new one coming out, Stargate Atlantis. It will make me sad for all new characters to be brought in, and everyone else to go.

PS: The American Idol Finale is this week. Now that's must-see TV.
                              http://superdrea.net/

Comment

The ad's a gas. Monk is trying to work up the courage to ask Johnny to touch him... :-)

Monk starts up again on USA on 6/18.

Comment

Working...
                                X