Band of Brothers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Band of Brothers

I know. We're all geeks. But isn't it possible I'm not the only geek who also happens to love WWII?

On facebook, the fan page for BoB posted that the series was airing again in January. I don't know if it's a continuation for Easy Company, or based on another one of Ambrose's books, but I'd love to see if anyone out there loves Winters, Nixon and Malarkey as much as I do.
    ..................~*Wolf*~..................
    AIM: CeliaWells8 / Twitter: Scifi_Nerd
    Won 2nd Place for Topic Of The Week 04, January, 2010!!!

Actually, they're re-airing Band of Brothers as a promo to rev up excitement for the next Spielberg/Hanks piece, Pacific (WARNING: both of these series are not kid-safe, there's a lotta spatter and blood--HBO material, y'know?). Personally, I liked it better when they were playing astronauts, vs. when they play soldiers.
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Oh, dear lord! Band of Brothers is definitely not safe for kids. This is such mature material, I completely went into fandom mode and forgot everything I just saw on the latest DVD.

So... HUGE DISCLAIMER NOW!!!:THE MINI-SERIES BAND OF BROTHERS IS VERY GRAPHIC, AND SCENES FROM THIS SHOW CAUSED MY JAW TO DROP TO THE FLOOR AND STAY THAT WAY IN HORROR FOR ABOUT FIFTEEN TO TWENTY MINUTES. THIS IS NOT -I REPEAT NOT- SAFE FOR CHILDREN!!!

*breathes*

There was speculation of a continuation of Easy Company, but I didn't see how that was gonna work.. hah. I will definitely check out Pacific though- thanks for the link!!

Comment

Yeah, it's also why you'll find discussion of shows like True Blood, Carnivale, etc. to be relatively limited here, since we are trying to keep the boards around PG-to-PG13 for our younger members. I will go and geek out about the upcoming (we hope) Game of Thrones on the aSoIaF board, rather than here (omg! Sean Bean as Eddard!)

I'm afraid I didn't really love Band of Brothers, having gotten such a huge high off of From the Earth to the Moon. But in BoB, I really did love the leading actor, Damian Lewis, and it took me a while to find out that he was British, not American. That was before you took for granted that at least one British actor was going to be in the cast of any new American television show.

It was fun to see David Schwimmer playing a bad guy, after being Ross on Friends for so long.

I think another reason I was not as engaged as everyone else with the series was because I have a friend who's a Vietnam vet who said many scathing things about it (and Saving Private Ryan, mostly in terms of the dehumanization of the enemy soldiers in the storytelling; she's a fantasy author herself, and I'd highly recommend her graphic novels, but they're out of print and definitely R-rated. If not NC-17). But also because I'd been watching a ton of Asian-American history stuff on my local PBS station (which aired all of it around 2am-5am ), and had watched some fascinating documentaries and interviews about the 442nd. After that, it feels like even the Tuskeegee Airmen had it frickin' easy, let alone the white soldiers. And as fascinating as Winters was, I found the parallel story of Capt. Young Oak Kim in the 442nd even more intriguing. (No, you're right, Kim is not a Japanese name. When someone in command finally figured out they'd put a Korean in charge of the Japanese regiment and apologize for mixing them together, Kim had to gently remind his superiors that they were all Americans, and they'd do just fine.)

So, other reason I'm not all that eager to see Pacific--pretty sure how most of the Asian characters are gonna be represented. (sigh). The only way they'd redeem themselves in my eyes is if they actually show that there were Japanese-Americans working as undercover agents in the Pacific during WWII (those classified records have only recently come to light).

But of course, that's just personal prejudice.
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Nah, I completely understand ya on that one. I was thinking that too- BoB and P are American views, are the Japanese probably are going to be represented as the bad guys just as the Germans were. It was really weird to see Schwimmer as a bad guy... I think he really wants to get out of his Ross character, but by now, he really can't. Same thing with character Winters- I first saw the actor on Desperate Housewives as a bad guy, so it was really weird seeing him in there as well. Also, I'm pretty sure it was Malarkey who was a character in ER for a while.

But I do love the guys of Easy Company.... I didn't mean to make to discuss all the graphic stuff, but rather to find another history buff or two like me. =P There's no way I'd discuss anything like Episode 7, where the really graphic stuff happens. O_o My jaw really did drop for about twenty minutes.. =(

Comment

Well in 8th grade we watched part of an edited-for-content version . . . just yesterday I went back to my old middle school to ask my history teacher if he still had it and if I could borrow it, since I love history (WWII especially), and I couldn't find the edited version anywhere else. Apparently it was too much of a hassle to get parent signatures even for the edited version, and he said I could just keep it! I'm super excited to watch it!!

He said the unedited version is better in that it's obviously more accurate, but at 13 I'm not allowed to watch it and I'm not entirely sure I want to see it either . . .

On a side note, my mother has been horrified ever since I started getting into history, haha.

Comment

I probably have the unedited version and I've seen the whole thing, in small pieces. My dad doesn't mind having a butt-numb-a-thon while watching the series but I can only watch a few episodes at a time. It depends on which episodes because of the content, but I can watch the first four or so with no problems. It's been a while since I've seen them though so I don't really remember what's in them.

I remember the ones with the tress though: they're in the forest and the Germans start shooting at them occasionally. It's scary. (O_O)

Then there are times when you see how people try to make the most of a situation. I don't want to spoil everything for you, but what leads to one of Summer's promotions is quite nice.

I'd suggest taking it slow if you haven't seen it before. There's a lot of stuff in the series - both factual and emotional - and I found it to be a bit much sometimes. It's a good series and it's not my intention to turn you off from the series, but I'd just like to give you the heads up.

History is cool and important, so if you want to chat about it I wouldn't mind it.

I didn't even know this thread was here. :P

EDIT instead of double-posting:
              I watched the first episode today since it's a bit of a tradition to watch the show on Remembrance Day. Maybe I'll watch more later.

I also thought it was Summers, but I was mistaken and his name is actually Winters. My bad.
              Last edited by Stellazira; November 11, 2011, 06:48:34 PM.
              How do you wake Lady Gaga up in the morning?
              You poke her face.

Comment

Working...
              X