Wicked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wicked

I'm not sure if this belongs in this category, but it seems to fit here best....
    Has anyone ever seen it? Wicked, I mean? I haven't, but I've been listening to the soundtrack nonstop for two days. It is so. Good.
    Best song ever, ever, EVER like in the entire universe is No Good Deed. Ever.
    Anyone else seen it? Or, like, heard it? What're your favorite songs?
    I know the answer! The answer lies within the heart of all mankind! The answer is twelve? I think I'm in the wrong building.
    -- Charles Shulz

Wicked is my very favorite musical. I fell in love with the music back when I was a Sophomore in High School. I finally got to see it performed last August. I can tell you, it was the most incredible experience. I was near tears through most of the performance it was so good. Our cast was excellent, though our Fiyero wasn't the best, I didn't care for his voice, but he was still very talented. I was the most impressed with the ladies playing Elphaba and Glinda. They were fantastic! Elphaba sounded very similar to Idina Menzel, the original Elphaba. And Glinda... lol. I almost liked her better than the original Glinda, Kristin Chenowith. That girl had enough energy to power an entire city. Defying Gravity is my favorite song, and it is AMAZING to see performed. I get goosebumps just thinking about it.
    When it was over I didn't want to leave the theatre. I've seen many many plays and musicals, but this one was by far the best. Theatre is my minor and after all the training I've had it made me appreciate just how good of a musical it is. The music is fantastic. The script is extremely well done, I love the little inside jokes from The Wizard of Oz. The storyline is inspiring, and each of the characters are so unique that anyone can find a character that they can relate to.
    "Doctors help you to live, the Arts give you a reason to live."

Comment

Wicked is my third favorite musical. I've seen a lot of clips from it, I've read the script, I've heard the songs a billion times each. They're good stuff! I know a few of them on the piano (but I need to relearn them, I haven't played them in forever), and it's a really good musical.

I love "No Good Deed," "Defying Gravity," and "For Good."

Just don't read the book :P

(And by the way, my first two favorite musicals are The Phantom of the Opera, and A Very Potter Musical)
      Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

Just don't read the book

haha, kk. I heartily agree. While quite a bit of it is really interesting, and very well written, it has some content that is... unnecessary. I like the play version much better.

Comment

I do have to say I was mightily amused at how last week's episode of Glee had a diva-off of between Kurt and Rachel on who could sing "Defying Gravity" better.

kk, my fave musicals swap around a lot, but generally most of the top five spots are filled with Sondheim musicals. I'd highly highly recommend taking a listen at Into the Woods (or heck, the DVD's not bad, either). In 1988 at the Tonys, it made perfect sense to me that while Phantom won best Musical, Into the Woods won both Best Book and Best Score.

And if you like Into the Woods, then try Sunday in the Park With George. Sweeney Todd is not all there is to Sondheim.

I'd also recommend Flaherty & Ahrens's Once on This Island, and if you like that, then Ragtime might also be worth a listen.
          Last edited by Kathy Li; November 24, 2009, 06:33:50 AM.
          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

I wish Kurt hadn't blown the high note on purpose -- I think he was going to win, up to that point. :-(

I played clarinet in a community production of Into the Woods a few years ago -- it's become one of my favorites. I really want to play the Narrator sometime. Only problem is, I'll need some really good costumers to help with the quick changes, because I proved in Sound of Music that I couldn't even get a tux on in a reasonable amount of time -- I think I missed the entrance at the first performance, before we worked the last kinks out. Fortunately, "Presto changeo!" isn't an absolutely vital line, and the Elsa was ready for me not to make it. :-)
            "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

I've seen Wicked, and loved it. I was totally obsessed for months, and still am somewhat, though I think Rent might be stealing it's place as my favorite. I'm reading the book, and so far it's quite good, though I see what you mean. Though actually, I like some of the characters far more in the book than I did in the musical.
              -Dreams are nice, but sometimes you have to live in reality. -Perhaps, but dreams are MY reality.
              -It's only impossibe if you believe it is.
              -Existence is belief. I believe in magic, so it's real to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Garrett Fitzgerald View Post
                I wish Kurt hadn't blown the high note on purpose -- I think he was going to win, up to that point. :-(
                And I thought Rachel had it in the bag. But then, I also kept thinking, "why are they competing? Isn't "Defying Gravity" a duet?--Kurt can be Glinda!"

And wasn't it a hoot they got Chenoweth to guest star? I do wonder how long it will be before they give a song to Will's parents. I mean, you don't hire Victor Garber and Debra Monk not to have them sing.

I once had this little fantasy that Bryan Fuller would somehow get Idina Menzel and Tracie Thoms to guest star on Pushing Daisies so we could have a three-way diva-off in the inevitable Musical Episode they were gonna do. Tracie Thoms was in Wonderfalls as well as going toe-to-toe singing "Take Me For What I Am" with Menzel in the film of Rent, so I hoped. At the Paleyfest, Fuller said that at Chenoweth's birthday party they were shamlessly hitting up all the B'way stars who attended to appear on the show.
                Last edited by Kathy Li; November 25, 2009, 03:12:31 AM.
                New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Never heard of it but, Repo: The Genetic Opera is the best gore movie ive seen in a long time. And it has some awsm songs.
                  Footsteps in the snow suggest where you have been, point to where you were going: but where they suddenly vanish, never dismiss the possibility of flight....

Comment

Originally posted by Kathy Li View Post
                    But then, I also kept thinking, "why are they competing? Isn't "Defying Gravity" a duet?--Kurt can be Glinda!"
                    If they're going to do that, it needs to be "For Good" instead of "Defying Gravity" -- that's a much better duet. :-) I've been wondering -- since that diva-off was apparently partially based on reality (Colfer's teacher not letting him do the song), did he take the opportunity to sing it with Chenoweth while she was available? :-)

Originally posted by Deus Ira View Post
                    Never heard of it but, Repo: The Genetic Opera is the best gore movie ive seen in a long time. And it has some awsm songs.
                    Indeed -- here's one of my LJ userpics. Made it myself....

Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; November 25, 2009, 11:09:37 AM.
                    "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Originally posted by Garrett Fitzgerald View Post
                      Indeed -- here's one of my LJ userpics. Made it myself....

thats rather awsm.
                      Footsteps in the snow suggest where you have been, point to where you were going: but where they suddenly vanish, never dismiss the possibility of flight....

Comment

I've been listening to Kurt's version of Defying Gravity pretty much nonstop for the past few nights, and yeah, I really wish he hadn't done that. Reasons and whatever aside, I wince every time the song approaches the climax... but it is SO GOOD.
                        I know the answer! The answer lies within the heart of all mankind! The answer is twelve? I think I'm in the wrong building.
                        -- Charles Shulz

Comment

I loved the musical ((Saw it in San Francisco)). But i really have no idea on the rest. :P
                          I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                          For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Oh! Oh! Oh! I saw Wicked in Cleveland yesterday!! It was really amazing! I've had a combination of 'March Of The Witch Hunters' and 'No Good Deed' stuck in my head since yesterday. It was great! We got lost for a while 'cause the directions were wrong, and we didn't eat till afterward. We live about 3 hours away, and we didn't get home till 1 am!! It was Great!!!
                            Last edited by 96bookworms; December 6, 2009, 10:25:04 PM. Reason: It wasn't Chigago, it was Cleveland
                            All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

Originally posted by 96bookworms View Post
                              Oh! Oh! Oh! I saw Wicked in Chicago yesterday!! It was really amazing! I've had a combination of 'March Of The Witch Hunters' and 'No Good Deed' stuck in my head since yesterday. It was great! We got lost for a while 'cause the directions were wrong, and we didn't eat till afterward. We live about 3 hours away, and we didn't get home till 1 am!! It was Great!!!
                              That's great! It's amazing, isn't it?

Who was in the cast? What was your favorite song to see performed?

I've never watched Glee, but after reading some of your posts about it I may need to change that.

Comment

Working...
                              X