Taiko!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taiko!

Ok, am I all alone, or does anyone else here play taiko? Or has anyone else even heard of taiko? Seen it? Anything?

[edited to remove all caps in thread title --kli]
    The Taiko Dodo and Mitten of Insanity
    I promise not to funfun anymore
    Be happy cause life is good

Umm, I haven't even heard of it... WHAT IS IT!?
    Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

I hve never heard of it, either.....
      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
      **Neets**
      CAUTION: Being a member of YW forum may result in loss of sanity.

Kathy, me and G - I love you, chime, I hate you, chime, I can't live with out you.

Comment

Me either... please explain!
        -----------------------------I'm not paranoid! Which of my enemies told you this?
        The trouble with life is that you're half-way through it before you realize it's a do-it-yourself thing.
        I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get bac

Comment

NO! The insanity. I feel all alone! Uhhh, it's Japanese drumming. It has all this really cool choreography, and I play in a large group, so you can overlap rhythms and make it sound really really cool. www.theatermu.org is the website for the place I play with, you can look at some of the luvverly pics. And look up groups in your area. If anyone lives in San Francisco, you are SO lucky. They have the San Francisco Taiko Dojo, which is probably the biggest founder of taiko in North America. Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh, to be able to see Senechii Tanaka play. (I have no idea if I spelled that right)

Comment

Okay.. I lied, I have heard of it. I just didn't recognize the name... I love the drum things... *imagines the program I last saw on TV* Oh yeah for cable!!

Coolness for you. I am totaly obsessed with most music and just about all instruments. If you play one, you will probaly have my heart forever!
            -----------------------------I'm not paranoid! Which of my enemies told you this?
            The trouble with life is that you're half-way through it before you realize it's a do-it-yourself thing.
            I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get bac

Comment

ive never heard of taiko either
              Thomas Hildebrandt

Comment

I've seen it live... it's unlike anything in "western" music, and is totally awesome. Make you see it given if you ever have the chance.
                "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

Taiko is awsome! I love watching it!

An interesting side note: there is a FANTASTIC sushi restraunt in my area called Taiko. They make THE BEST SUSHI IN ALL OF CALIFORNIA!!!
                  A physics geek
                  And proud of it...

Loyal reader and Young Wizards books, great lover of Moon Cakes, and engineering feminista...

Comment

YAY! I'M NOT ALONE! Does anyone want to see the luvverly pictures from my taiko recital? I can post the link. Ya know what, I just will and if you don't care, you don't have to look.
                    http://www.infinetivity.com/~patrickm/recital04/
                    See if you can guess which one is me! I'll give you a hint, I'm in level 1. (but hopefully not for long)

Comment

OK Cress, are you in the first page that came up, or one of the ones we have to click on from off of that page? *mutters* I didn't think any of the people on the first page that came up was readily identifiable as you.

Taiko is cool! We occasionally have a troupe do a performance at the Maui Arts and Cultural Center. It's not danceable, but it is ... compelling.
                      "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
                      "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

i had never heard of taiko before this weekend when i went to a theatre workshop and had a class on it. now, there are postings here on it...weird... oh! the class was really fun; too bad i live in a little nothing town where i can't take more classes.

cress, do you know how to play a song with the title "festival" (except in japanese)? we learned the beginning of it but not the ending and was wondering if you could give the beats for the rest of the song.
                        Member of the Tumbleweeds of the World Foundation. Beware the Tumbleweed Stampede! :bouncegrin:
                        "Where shall wisdom be found, and where is the place of understanding? If I knew, I'd walk over and stand there." Roger Zelazny

Comment

Level one is like Ichi Dan or something, right? I heard of the japanese drumming on reading rainbow a long time ago.
                          ~Rachel

Comment

Yeah, I'm in the pics that you have to click on other links to get to. Go to either rehearsal or opening night, then click either ichi dan dan, mu shu or level 1. I forget what it says. The people on the front page are the teachers. My teacher was pregnant during the recital! It was insane! She was like two weeks away from delivering, and she still played better than I do normally!

Comment

Doesn't anybody care? Or have you abandoned me to my obsession? And why haven't any of you looked up the nearest taiko group and started taking lessons? That's sort what I was trying to get u people to do, because I really should stop talking shouldn't I?

Comment

Working...
                              X