Earthquake in California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earthquake in California

I was sleeping when it hit. It was a 5.8 and the epicenter was in Chino Hills. Did anyone feel it? Were you scared? My brothers were. I thought I was dreaming until my mother came to my room door and told me to get up.
    Writing is nice, but you have to live in the real world sometimes.-Me 09/06/07
    Writing is an art, and words are like colors.

I heard a report on the BBC news (which said it was 5.4), but being half-way round the world, that's all I noticed...

I hope there's no serious damage.
    -- Rick.

Comment

Yeah they changed it to 5.4 later on in the day. At first they were saying it was a 5.8 than they said it was a 5.6. Close enough I guess.
      There wasn't any real serious damage. But some things were knocked off shelves. And homes and buildings that aren't (forgot the word for it) built to withstand earthquakes didn't fair to well. But other than that everything is all right.

Comment

This just happened last night?

Goodness.... Wildfires, earthquakes, immigrants (legal or not).... Things aren't too good for Californians lately! I wish all of you luck.
        "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Originally posted by EricG1793:
          This just happened last night?

Goodness.... Wildfires, earthquakes, immigrants (legal or not).... Things aren't too good for Californians lately! I wish all of you luck.
          Wow! You're a little late to the party.

The Earthquake happened on July 29 around 11:30ish. We're all good here. I see someone hasn't been watching the news.

They were wondering if this is just a reminder of the suspected big one that we are supposed to have one day. I hope that doesn't happen, but we'll see.

Comment

I heard there were several aftershocks after that earthquake. I've never really witnessed an earthquake myself...

Good to know that you're safe.

I want to go to California sometime in my life. I hope it doesn't fall off before than.
            Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
            Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
            It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
            Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

Originally posted by Emi:
              I heard there were several aftershocks after that earthquake. I've never really witnessed an earthquake myself...

Good to know that you're safe.

I want to go to California sometime in my life. I hope it doesn't fall off before than.
              There were 27 aftershocks. We didn't feel them all because we weren't near the epicenter. But most of the time (not all the time) the aftershocks after a quake are fairly weak and doesn't usually do as much damage. But sometimes the aftershocks can be stronger.

Comment

I used to live in California, and my older brother still does. He says a bunch of stuff fell over where he was (Orange), but that it wasn't too horrible. From what I gather there weren't any serious injuries, as 5.8 is considered "moderate."
                ---
                Interesting (adj.) - Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?

Comment

...wait... I LIVE in Cali, and I knew nothing about an earthquake... huh. Probably because nothing exciting happens here in the central valley. well, unless you count Stockton. But it's an island unto itself. I never watch the news, mainly because I don't like waking up early to do so , so no wonder I know nothing.

It is my hope that California manages to stay in one piece until I move away. I love the sun, trust me, but it's so expensive here... Off topic. Oops.

I think most earthquakes around here aren't too bad most times, especially since a lot of them aren't noticed farther in.
                  "You're so funny. Sometimes, I wish I was a little elf, so I could ride around on your shoulder all day and laugh at you." - my mom. (Yes, she honestly told me that. *rolls eyes*)

Comment

I didn't feel a thing.

BTW, if you ever do feel an earthquake, you may want to tell the USGS what it was like, so they have some additional data for estimating the magnitude. The website is "Did You Feel It?"
                    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

They were wondering if this is just a reminder of the suspected big one that we are supposed to have one day. I hope that doesn't happen, but we'll see.
                      As long as you continue to get earthquakes, it means that the stress along the San Andreas' Fault is being released in small doses. The thing that is going to build up to and trigger 'The Big One' will be a long period of no earthquakes, or possibly of little ones.

I've been in two earthquakes here, which is more than a lot of people I know. They were only little ones, something in the vicinity of a 2.0. I'd like to experience a bigger one, but since I live on an ancient, tectonically stable continent, there isn't much of a chance of that...

Comment

Actually earthquakes are unpredictable. So, the whole "long quiet period" before The Big One thing isn't wholly true.

If you're interested in earthquakes, I'd highly recommend visiting the iTunes University for UC Berkeley and downloading the lectures for EPS 20 ("Earthquakes in Your Backyard").
                        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

I've been through a 7.0 (6.8 where I was because of distance) and BELIEVE ME, you do NOT want to experience one. Even if you think you're prepared, it's still bloody scary. It was worse for us because, although we aren't precisely tectonically stable here, it was completely unexpected, unlike places elsewhere that have a number of small but notable jolts (3-4 on the Richter scale) each year and are relatively accustomed to them.

ETA: I had to look this up. It was only a 6.7; it just felt far worse, and the measurement was recalculated several times since the quake. I'm from the Midwest US, where earthquakes aren't common, so pls. excuse my inability to gauge.
                          "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
                          "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

Working...
                          X