Reducing Environmental Impact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reducing Environmental Impact

So, for a project for one of my classes we are to reduce our own carbon footprints and those of people we know as much as we can manage. I'll start by saying that this is in fact influenced by this class.

So global warming is (probably) an issue (If people want more evidence that it is man-made contact me I don't want to post about that here and start an argument as that isn't the point). And whether or not it is pollution in general is an issue. Did you know that the increased likelihood of death of being in New York City or Boston for two days simply because of the pollution is the same as living within 5 miles of a nuclear reactor for 50 years. There are being problems from out environmental impact to us personally as well as the future generations as well as the world as a whole.

So what can we do?

Dealing with it politically is good, but we need to change our actions some too. The average American carbon footprint is huge. And while carbon dioxide is far from the only problem, its an easily measured one and reducing that will generally reduce other impacts as well.

The big things are of course big money- what car do you drive, where do you live, what do you have for a furnace and appliances, but there is still stuff you can do.

-Improve insulation. It ends up saving you money and makes a huge difference.

-Eat less red meat. Red meat is actually horrible compared to even poultry for the environment. That doesn't mean not to eat any, just have it less often. Also, red meat is expensive.

-Be aware of your electricity use, change lightbulbs to CFLs, and turn things off when you don't need them. This often saves money and does help some though isn't huge compared to a car.

-Eat more local foods. It's good for the environment, its good for the local economy and it often tastes better.

-Don't buy stuff if you don't need it. Look at used things as an option. Straight forward.

-Reduce your thermostat a few degrees. You might not tell the difference and it still helps.

-Don't throw things out if you can reuse them. Look at things with less packaging even if its not as pretty.

-Pay the little extra for renewable energy. Many electricity companies give the option of paying a bit more to have your share of the electricity come from renewable sources. This helps them get up and running more.

-Other things not listed here because a list too long won't be helpful.

If people are wanting to make changes with the people they're living with, absolutely feel free to use knowing someone needing people to make changes for a project as an excuse. I doubt much will come from this but if you and your families have been wanting to make changes and not doing so for laziness reasons, then you have a reason, it helps my project for this class. If you just want to be better to the environment and didn't know what to do, then here's a little information.

If people make changes, please tell me what changes you made and why. This would be helpful both in terms of making the changes and why, as the project is partially about what it takes to change behaviour.

Thanks. Hopefully I get a little response even if not much.
    Last edited by Tuttle; November 29, 2009, 09:13:13 PM. Reason: Fixing typo that alla pointd out :)
    We will remember you PM. And your little GingerBear.

Wow, that's a great project. What is the class that you're taking, Tuttle?

Did you mean "Improve insulation", rather than isolation? Or am I reading across a language barrier? Insulation, as in stuff in your ceiling that helps to keep houses cooler or warmer.

I usually try to follow most of those, since I understand that we (humans) are causing problems to our environment, sometimes, though cost and convenience rule over being environmentally friendly. I don't know whether you're needing opinions from other countries, but often in Australia, local food is more expensive than that imported, either from interstate or from overseas, and the same goes for purchasing items other than food.

It has been interesting to travel through Syria, Jordan and Egypt, and to see how the local people treat their environment. I think seeing things in Egypt, such as large piles of rubbish on the side of the road, and on the banks of the Nile has made me appreciate living in a place where the rubbish is at least put in one location, and not left to pollute waterways.

Some of the other things that I do to decrease my environmental impact include:

- Walking, cycling and catching public transport to get to where I need to be (this is also affected by not being able to afford to run a car - or at the moment by being on holiday, and not wanting to brave traffic in a country where they drive on the other side of the road)

- Going to airconditioned/heated malls, rather than turning it on at home. Not quite as comfortable, but it also usually ends up helping the local economy.

I don't want this next bit to provoke any controversy, so it has been whited out. Please highlight if you want to read it, and if you wish to debate with me, send a PM with your email.

Since you wanted to know why, I'll add that most of the reason that I do these things is because I don't agree with the global warming and climate change, but I do agree that we're polluting our environment too much - for me the end result is still up for debate, as is the concept that we're "killing our planet".
    Last edited by alla; November 29, 2009, 01:08:56 PM.

Comment

Oops, that had been an incorrect click on the spell check. I fixed it now.

The class is "Human Behavior and the Environment" it is a environmental science/ psychology class that is about how we can reduce the damage we're doing the the environment. Part of it is why are we doing what we are doing, and what actions should be taken, and part of it is how do we have those actions actually taken because of us being human. For example we're currently reading a book about how to change people's actions using the example of composting. The class has also gotten into why are we doing this to the planet at an individual level so we can help prevent our own actions. I can give you more information if you want more. It's been interesting.

In the US local foods are often somewhat cheaper and harder to find too. However it is also something you can do that helps a lot, 'cause shipping is a huge environmental expense. Part of the project is looking at those points when it is harder to do things, doing what you can anyways, and pushing for them to be easier. We're trying to do better food anyways, but we know it will be more expensive and we're having problems with doing so anyways. However, you also seem to get better quality food and that is worth the extra price in many cases. Once you get local orchard apple cider the other ones are disappointing.

On the part you've spoilered out. I actually have been interested in talking to you about that at some point. If you want to email me, do so (you have my email) or when you're on IM at some point poke. I want to discuss that now that I have much better information on some of the reasons that people argue the side you don't believe. I disagree with you but I want to discuss it because of that, and I feel that it should be mostly irrelevant in terms of how we should change our behaviours.

One thing I want to mention here and in places about books is that we had to read one book No Impact Man and that it was a surprisingly good book in many ways. It was well written and interesting. It was quite possibly my favourite nonfiction book. It started with an author wanting to live a year with no net impact and ended up being a study of what makes people happier to have. Some of what we do makes us happier but much of it actually reduces our overall happiness level. I'd definitely recommend looking into the book.
      We will remember you PM. And your little GingerBear.

Comment

I should have gone to college in the states - it seems that you guys get all the interesting classes. I'll try to look up a copy of the book you mention. It sounds like it would be a good read.

I will drop you an email, regarding the spoilered out section, but it might not be for a week or so, if that's ok. I will be at home then, with access to my computer and some resources. Discussion is always welcome - its not very often that there is an informed person on the other side of such discussion around me.

Comment

Working...
        X