X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon MP3 Store stupidity.

Amazon MP3 Store

To buy an album you need their special downloader/installer software which only runs on Winblows or MacOS 10.4. Well isn't that just dandy given I still use MacOS 10.3 on my Macs and Linux on my PCs. WTF do they require this? There is NO good reason They even let you buy individual tracks without enforcing use of their special software. But not albums

If there's a worry users might not be able to handle multiple downloads beginning at once, well then just distribute albums as ZIP archives, or make their downloader/installer software a cross-platform Java app. Or an Ajax web app could also handle the downloading, if not the installing (but how freakin' hard is dragging the music files onto iTunes' icon to import it?). Or could an Ajax web app also handle installing? I'm not sure. Thoughts?

Still, their prices are far cheaper than the iTMS and they've no DRM across the board. Their selection isn't anything to write home about, but hopefully that will change. I just wish I could buy albums!!! For anything else I'll be picking them over the iTMS, but I _won't_ upgrade my OS just to get a service - albums - that shouldn't require any special software in the first place. How stupid and pointless is that?

It's not hard to imagine this happening a few years ago and ALL Mac users being left out in the cold. In fact, even today that's so common I'd probably have not even blinked before continuing to happily buy from the iTMS and buy regular old CDs from the local music shop, instead.

But what makes this situation so frustrating is Amazon had a chance here to make a truly platform agnostic online music store with a decent general catalogue - not just indie stuff - and they BLEW IT at the LAST MOMENT! Gaaaah!

Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Frog blast the vent core!

Actually, the selection at http://emusic.com/ wasn't bad. The only problem is that you have to subscribe to download n tracks per month, so if you don't want that many, you've wasted your money. While I was still subscribing, I downloaded stuff like Society's Child, by Janis Ian, a Bobby Darin/Judy Garland medley of traveling songs, various Percy Grainger wind band pieces, and so forth. They're also DRM-free, so you're on your honor to comply with copyright law.

I love companies that don't by default treat you like you're trying to rip them off.
    "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Working...
    X