Distributed Proofreaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributed Proofreaders

I'm rather surprised a search on "Distributed Proofreaders" didn't bring anything up: I'm usually pretty rabid about plugging them.

In any case, DP is a website that helps get public domain books into Project Gutenberg, which has been getting public domain works on the web, in many languages, for quite some time now. When you proofread a page, it shows you the original scan of the page followed by an editbox containing the OCR'd text. Sometimes it's almost perfect: in the book I'm doing at the moment, almost every word is wrong.

If you want to give it a try, there's a demo linked from the front page. I've also created a Young Wizards team, in case anyone really gets into this and wants to show off in a group. :-)

Have fun!
    "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

(Fingers itch to register for the site, and wonders if she'd be allowed to do it at work...) This sounds like something I'd love to do! Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I'm proofreading for friends, and looking over my old works hoping soon to get some of my own published (if my muse would stick around long enough to finish one story)
    There is Always DEEP Shadow where there is MUCH Light!
    "I will meet the terminally clueless today...idiots and those with hairballs for brains.... I do not have to be like them, even though I would dearly love to hit them hard enough to make the empty places between their ears echo..." Rhiow - TVTQ

Comment

Working...
    X