Help! What comes last...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! What comes last...?

Take a word, and then write down its letters in alphabetcial order. (eg write -> eirtw). If you were to d this for every word in the English language, and then list the letter combinations alphabtically, what word would end up last?
    The best I can come up with is "you" -> 'ouy'. Can anyone come up with one that would come after that?

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation
    "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Take a word, and then write down its letters in alphabetcial order. (eg write -> eirtw). If you were to d this for every word in the English language, and then list the letter combinations alphabtically, what word would end up last?
    The best I can come up with is "you" -> 'ouy'. Can anyone come up with one that would come after that?

Comment

'Purr' would be 'prru'...'sup' would be 'psu'...'tut' would be 'ttu'...can't think of anything else at the moment.

The important thing about adventures, thought Mr Bunnsy, was that they shouldn't be so long as to make you miss mealtimes.
      -- (Terry Pratchett, The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents)
      My art place thing - http://paperdragoness.deviantart.com
      OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
      --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

Rust -> rstu
        Beat that...

Comment

sty = sty
          yurt = rtuy
          but looks like PPC's still winning with "tut".
          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

*Agent~M*
            "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
            "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
            "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
            "I could live

Comment

And Zebra would be first... LOL. Aberz

Aug! This is hard!!!

Try... rty. Ugg.

-MaThFrEaK
              "Hehehe. You smell funny."
              "I love fish and chicken and turkey and ham and squirrels and pork and..."
              "Izza mousey!"
              ~Gryphon~
              Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

I think we shoudl outlaw proper nouns - else someone will produce an obscure town. Dictionary words only please. (Otherwise, I would give "Zu" --> 'uz', a Sumerian goddess).
                Given how when listing things alphatbetically, the shorter word comes first (eg "walk" before "walked"), then "tutu" --> 'ttuu' comes after "tut" --> 'tt'.

Comment

"Zuz" --> 'uzz' (An ancient Hebrew silver coin.)

Comment

Agent M: yurt: "a circular domed tent of skins or felt stretched over a collapsible lattice framework and used by pastoral peoples of inner Asia" (according to Webster's)

Not that I ever score well in these kinds of games. I never managed even one for the "name a word that's pronounced differently when capitalized" (e.g., "nice") game.
                    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

M: A yurt is a sort of Mongolian dwelling-thingy, usually rounded and constructed with skins.

The obvious restriction to all of this is that 'u' is the only vowel one can use. Of course, there's 'y', but I can't think of any words that use only a 'y' and letters from v-z. So Wilf's 'uzz' is indeed the ideal word and it's pretty much useless to look for anything else.

The important thing about adventures, thought Mr Bunnsy, was that they shouldn't be so long as to make you miss mealtimes.
                      OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
                      --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

hainterj. [echoic] an exclamation variously expressing wonder, surprise, anger, triumph, etc.: repeated (ha-han. the sound of this exclamation or of a laugh
                        -Webster's Dictionary of the American Language, Second College Edition

Comment

Personally, I think "Zuz" shouldn't count, it is not an English word.

Comment

Well, it's currency...currency is allowed in Scrabble, so why not here?

--Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

Working...
                            X