College question for non-US folks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College question for non-US folks

Specifically for people living in Scotland/the U.K., but also anyone who has been.

I've been accepted to both the University of Glasgow and the University of Edinburgh, but now I get the lovely decision of deciding which I'd like to attend. I've never been to Scotland (although I'm mostly Scottish and my grandfather is completely), but I very much want to study abroad.

Also, both schools are offering courses I'm equally interested in.

So what's Glasgow like? And Edinburgh?

If you know anything about the schools, how are they?

Thank you in advance to all those who may help me.
    ---
    Interesting (adj.) - Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?

Glasgow or Edinburgh? Now there's a question and a half! I'm not going to be any help, I'm afraid. Edinburgh I've not visited for a very long time, but it does have a castle. The last time I was in Glasgow was for Worldcon in 2005, and I didn't see much of Glasgow itself, but I did stay in an academic accommodation block. It was fine, as those places go. I've no idea what the university itself is like. I do remember spending an enjoyable morning in the museum in Glasgow a long long time ago...
    -- Rick.

Comment

This is probably useless information, but all I can think of is that bit in Good Omens where there's a description about how the angel/demon détente is being worked out between Aziraphale and Crowley, and how:
      ... Crowley took Glasgow, Aziraphale had Edinburgh (neither claimed any responsibility for Milton Keynes, but both reported it as a success).
      I'd say be careful asking any Scots about this, as there's definitely a rivalry between the two cities. I shared a bus tour of Edinburgh with a half dozen or so Glaswegians and they (and the tourguide) all had a great time raspberrying each other and shooting out put-downs about East Coasters and West Coasters.
      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Well...I've never quite left my continent, but I've got an aunt who did a year abroad in college and studied at Edinburgh during that year. She ended up graduating from there instead of her own college, because she liked it better.

Not really much help, but she's always spoken positively about the school. Good luck with your decision!

Comment

Yep, Kathy's got an excellent point there. It's definitely not something to ask someone who lives in one of those two places. The rivalry between them is quite intense, and deeply rooted...
          -- Rick.

Comment

Edinburgh's debate team was less than impressive at the MIT Nationals Debate Tournament.

Also, a British friend in Oxford recommended Edinburgh.
            Omnia mutantur; nihil interit.
            Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

Comment

Working...
            X