A speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A speech

Oh, Crap *rants for a bit* crap, crap crap crap crap.

My 2 minute speech is tommorow. I practiced the last week and I did brilliantly in front of my family. but whenever I practiced on my parent's friends that I didn't know I choked up and couldn't remember anything and to make matters worse I start mumbling.

NEED LAST SECOND HELP!
    ---------------------------------------
    YW Chat room link. http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/ Type in nickname and #youngwizards for channel.
    "in remembrance of Peter Murray,5/16/06,dai stiho

It helps if you close your eyes, take a deep breath then start the speech.This always works for me.So try it.
    The Answer to life the universe and everything: CREW 42!!!!!!!!
    DON'T PANIC!!!!! *two seconds later once the plan does not work* OK PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have a spelling problem. SYWTBAW

Comment

Ok, when you have to do it tomorrow, find a familiar face in the crowd, if you can, and do it for them. Or imagine yourself in the crowd, watching some poor shmoe bollox it up, and think how much sympathy you'd have for them, and how much you'd be pulling for them to make it through, and realize that's what everybody else is feeling.

Alternatively, keep telling yourself it's just for two minutes.
      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

kli ever since i've read your post I have these words stuck in my head.

Two minutes of suffering, two minutes of suffering.

I should proly try to get in early so I'm not just suffering for 2 days.

*sigh*

I'm doomed but for two minutes only. at least afterwards i'll feel great.
        YW Chat room link. http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/ Type in nickname and #youngwizards for channel.

Comment

RELAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this your first speech in front of a crowd???
          Just relax eat some candy and sleep.
          DON'T PANIC!!!!! *two seconds later once the plan does not work* OK PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

No not my first speech, second. The first speech was thirty seconds long.

Comment

lol, I hate going up and giving speeches until I'm up on stage or in front of the class or whatever. Then, when I'm done, I want to go back up and do it again. Think of roller coasters: scary, but FUN
              *Agent~M*
              "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
              "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
              "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
              "I could live

Comment

Well what did you do to prepare for the last one??I triped during my dance recitel but i got over it real quick.I got up and keped danceing. I laffed about it later with the rest of the the girls in the routine.So if you mess up you will get over it.

Comment

lol, M.

When we went to the amusement park, BW and bro went on this roller coaster, and they were like, "That was so fun, you should do it, etc," and so eventually I convinced myself. After crying on Terror Mountain at DisneyWorld 5 or something years ago, I've been terrified of roller coasters. I got on this one, started cussing and screaming (they mad fun of me for my choice of words afterwards XD ), but in the end, I loved it and had to go on it again.

Okay, more relevant. XD

Usually I start a speech fine, but then start talking faster because of nerves standing in front of the class. When that happens, I just stop and take a deep breath, slow down. If it's for spanish, and I'm only doing a short peice, I'm fine throughout.

As for karate, we have to get up and show our katas to the entire class. If yours is crap, it shows. If yours is great, it shows. Usually I screw up when I'm doing it in front of people, but I'm doomed if I didn't practice. The thing about doing katas is that... if you do it so many times that you don't even think about it, then don't, and you'll do great. XD S'called muscle memory or something. I've done so many punches that it's almost like I've worm groves in the air in front of me. My fists trace the exact same motions every time.

So umm... I suppose you could do your speech so many times that you could do it in your sleep. XD I don't know; I'm a failure at speeches; I just read off a sheet, and if I only had an outline to work off of, and I had to expand on my points, ehh... no hope, no hope.
                  Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

Hmmm...speeches are DEFINITELY not my strong point. I can't even get up in front of the room sometimes, it freaks me out so bad...but everyone always tells me to practice it all the time, and I guess that helps with the material...but it does nothing in my mind to get me less freaked out about being in front of a crowd...sort of like the whole clowns thing. I'm 15 years old, and I'm still terrified of clowns...but that's off topic...oh well.

-seabiscuit, a.k.a. hungry

Comment

to prepare for the last one I memorized my speech then forgot completely when i got in front of the class

Comment

In my school, there is only 16 kids in my class. I know everyone and everyone knows me. but I still get the gitters. All I do is offer to be the third or fourth one, so that way I am not first, but I am not last either. I also take a deep deep breath, count to ten, put on a big smile, and start my speech. I love doing them, but the first 10 seconds are the worst.
                        Lover of Most Books...
                        Finder of Lost Things...
                        Eater of all Sweet Stuff...
                        Wonder of the West...

Comment

I gave my speech today. and I was AWESOME!!!!

I did the take a deep breath before start tactic.

thanks guys!

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG I GAVE MY SPEECH TODAY! *dances insanely*

Comment

I'm sorry! I hate speeches too. I get in front of the class and I'm, like, sooo nervous that I talk as fast as I possibly can just to get it over with. I don't even realize that I'm doing this until it's too late and so no one understands what I say. It's sooo annoying. Well I just thought that I'd tell you that what you do is soo not worse than what I do. (I'm a freshman in hs and I still do it.)
                            I'm a happy person. Do you know why? Because happiness is an excuse everyone understands. Life is full of surprises, but happy people takes them in stride.

Comment

Working...
                            X