The Music of Nature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Music of Nature

Yet another brilliant post by matthew on my forum.

"Take time out of your day to listen to the trees, listen to the wind weaving between the branches, listen to the birds singing their songs, listen to the deer walk between the towering giants, listen to the water from the stream trickle of the rocks, listen to the sounds of snow falling, listen to the leaves shaking, listen to the mice scurrying to find food, listen to the grass whip in the wind, listen to the voices of the forest, it is a natural symphony, and that is were you will find your music. This message brought to you by the i-pod hating nature freak.

I-pods suck, they make man made music instead of life's music, when someone implied for the first time that music is essential to life, i don't think they had in mind the music about having sex with woman and shooting people, they meant real music, live music, finding music in every day life.

I ask you this, have you ever listened to a conversation but pay no attention to the words, just the noise it makes? try it, you will learn how language is so dependant on exspression. It might help to start out with a foriegn language.

may the world be your ipod, and the beautiful and majestic things in it be the songs, and the will to survive be your batteries, and the road kill be that one song you put in a while ago and probably will never listen to but your to lazy to delete it. Remember that cd's mp3's, and i pods will not stand the test of time, but the trees and the wind and the water will always create beautiful music."
    ---------------------------------------
    YW Chat room link. http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/ Type in nickname and #youngwizards for channel.
    "in remembrance of Peter Murray,5/16/06,dai stiho

Almost all of my life, I've been in a city, if not just outside of one. I know that yeah, nature has its own beauty, but so do people and cars. What's wrong with the music people create themselves? There's an art to violins, electric guitars, heavy metal, and traditional or foreign styles.

Oh yeah, like hell there's something in music. People's voices, people's creativity, ingenuity, genius, culture, and messages... If you talk about music, any music, you can have appreciation of one area -- natural sounds, but to discard any other "genre," no matter how vulgar or grating it feels to you, that's just being narrow-minded. Open your eyes. Feel reality. You've gotten the trees, the rivers, the peace of a world virtually free of people, but you've blinded yourself to the broader spectrum.
    Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

Woah... thats a little harsh, I think, myth. Like gryph, I am a city girl, but I love going out of the city on camping trips and so on. Sure I find the time to just sit and listen to the trees... or the kookaburras when they wake you up at 4am of a summer's morning. I also find the time, nearly every night to go outside and just stare up at the sky, finding the constellations that I know.

Hmm... have I ever listened to the sound a conversation makes, rather than the words? Yep. And most people find it rather rude.

Sure, nature makes music - and some beautiful stuff at that, but does that mean that humans can't make music too? We are a part of nature you know. Just because the music that we make involves different methods, it doesn't mean that we should ignore it. Have you ever tried to play an instrument and make it sound good? I have, and it is hard work. It involves practice after practice to get it to sound up to a performance standard - and then you have to find the nerve within yourself to actually stand up in front of an audience and play it.

heh. The world can be my iPod - I have a microphone for my iPod.

Comment

But you could go to some nice peaceful woodland area, and sit and listen to "Grantchester Meadows" by Pink Floyd, with birdsong and so on as part of the track.

I also find the time, nearly every night to go outside and just stare up at the sky, finding the constellations that I know.
        And that hardly anyone else here knows .

Some composers have composed for voice - Lygeti's Atmospheres, for instance, in 2001: A Space Odyssey. Not singing, just breathing.
        Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Ok...Just to clear stuff up...

I like modern music, I like to go outside and listen to the trees and read a book...

the post above is what my friend matthew posted on my web forum...and while i understand and agree with parts of it(it is well thought out though) i still like modern music

so i'd just like to clear that up

also something strange as i was typing this matthew came into the media center and i showed him what you guys wrote.

he says your not entirely getting the point.
          YW Chat room link. http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/ Type in nickname and #youngwizards for channel.

Comment

This reply is straight from matthew himself

"I can see where you can get mad at me, but I am more concerned with the people who always listen to music 24/7. It is hard to find a person who doesn't have earphones in there ears. One of my teachers pointed out that it is like evry one wants their life to be a music video and that they can't just have the sounds of daily life as the sound track. I am not anti- music, I am just anti- ipod, and anti- listening to music every wakeing hour of the day. I am recomending that everyone just unplug their head phones and listen to the natural beat of life. Even if you are from the city, you can still listen to the beat of life, it may not be the wind blowing through the trees, but it is still not the mindless crap that expresses no meaning being pounded into your head. Woo!

Comment

Myth's friend wrote:
              I am just anti- ipod, and anti- listening to music every wakeing hour of the day. I am recomending that everyone just unplug their head phones and listen to the natural beat of life. Even if you are from the city, you can still listen to the beat of life, it may not be the wind blowing through the trees, but it is still not the mindless crap that expresses no meaning being pounded into your head. Woo!
              Ah, so what about being anti-MP3players, or anti-minidisc players, or go even further back in technology and say anti-discman, anti-walkman or just anti-technology all together? People don't just use iPods to listen to music.

Rather than being concerned about people who listen to music fairly often, why not be concerned about those of us who spend as much time as we can on the internet. At least you can listen to music while you're doing exercise.

No... meaning... in... music? Have you ever listened to a song, actually _listened_ to the words rather than, to quote your first "post", "... listen to a conversation but pay no attention to the words, just the noise it makes?". Most of the time they're about love, or politics. Very rarely is there a song with absolutely _no_ meaning behind it. Music was pretty much invented to carry news, to pass along stories and for people to enjoy. Even instrumental music has a story behind it, and an amazing skill.

Comment

Im not getting mad or anything, it's just that if you say that it's hard to find people who dont listen to music 24/7 then maybe you're looking at the wrong people or just aren't looking hard enough. I know a lot of people who dont listen to music 24/7 or anything like that.
                "Fairest and Fallen, greetings and defiance!" I would rather be hated for who i am than be loved for who i pretend to be!
                "People...stop being mean to each other.
                Especially for the sake of laughs. IT SPEEDS UP ENTROPY." -Diane Duane in chat.
                "T

Comment

I'd have to agree, Shadowizard. I love my iPods, and I definitely don't have either one jacked into my ears 24/7, and I'm not listening to just music (or just pop music, or just any kind of music), I'm also listening to drama, books, Chinese lessons, interviews, zoo tours, and news reports.

And much as I also love going out on a hike in a back canyon and hearing everything that's out there, like the cries of hummingbirds, hawks, and rustles of rabbits and the large large breaking-through-the-underbrush sound a deer makes, it also means one thing--I'm alone. And sometimes I like that.

But to choose to be like that over ever having conversations with a friend? Or listening to the Bach Cello Concertos as played by Yo-Yo Ma? Err, I would never make an absolute statement saying one is inherently superior to the other. Yes, folks need to stop and take time to smell the flowers and connect with the rhythms of being. But I'd doubt that an iPod or mp3 player and earphones are necessarily an indication that that person finds themselves incapable of doing so.
                  New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

I mean, look at me, if I listened to iPods 24/7, I'd have negetive hearing, be sleep deprived, and would probably also have a headache. Anndd, for all I love my Skitt***, sometimes he threatens to run out of batteries. :P

Otherwise, yeah, I can admit to listening to an iPod almost everyday. I don't, however, forget about the birds and the trees and the gross little white bugs writhing under the mulch in our garden.
                    Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

Hmm...iPod all the time...that's crazy. XD It makes me laugh when I see people at school who always have their headphones in (we're not allowed to have our headphones in except for if you're in the lunchrooms.) You're missing so much when you do that; there's people to talk to, and lectures to take notes from (yes, I do like lectures-when teachers speak slow enough to actually get the info down.) But I also like having my earbuds in and having the music on. I guess all I'm trying to say is that it's good if you find a balance between listening to the world around you, and tuning it all out with headphones. (Coincidently, I'm tuning out the sounds of my sister practicing the violin right now with my iPod, Steve. Her teachers say she's the best one in her 7th grade orchestra...if she's the best, I'm REALLY glad I don't live with the worst player.)

-seabiscuit, a.k.a. hungry

Comment

Working...
                      X