Random thing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random thing...

Following the recent train bombs in Madrid, large posters have put around the London Underground. Their purpose is to increase awareness of solitary bags, and what to do if you spot one. They read:
    "Do not touch, check with other passengers, alert the authorities or call 999"

I'm not normally a stickler for punctutation, but...
    "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

That sounds pretty scarey if you ask me. Sorry but it dose. I hope that you will be all right and nothing hurts you.
    "We pray for our sorrows to end,
    and hope that our hearts will blend.
    Now I will step forward to realize this wish.
    And who knows:
    starting a new journey may not be so hard
    or maybe it has already begun.
    There are many worlds,
    but they

Comment

It was more a comment on the notice itself, not the message...

Naah, I'll be fine... I was brought in a country were terorist bombs were a two-liner toward sthe end of the news. I apreciate your concern Lissa.
      "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

Wait, wait. You're emergency number is 999?
        Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
        ------------------------------------------------------------
        "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

"Do not touch, check with other passengers, alert the authorities or call 999"
          Eeesh! That sounds like it's saying, "Do not touch, do not check with other passengers, do not alert the authorites, and do not call 999."

Not good. No, no, not good.
          Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

Yeah... *shrug* As long as it gets the message out I guess.... Don't let the grammar queen see it though.
            999 sounds so funny... I know that's the emergency # for I think all of Europe? (not 100% sure on that...) But 911 is ours so 999 sounds funny. *laugh*
            *Agent~M*
            "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
            "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
            "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
            "I could live

Comment

Mine's 911 too. That's why I asked.
              Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
              ------------------------------------------------------------
              "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

Wilf- ouch. I hate official signs that Get Things Wrong, but that's not wrong so much as... what Skitty said.

As for emergency numbers, ours is 111- but if you dial 911 amd, I think, 999, it will be redirected through. That's how pervasive American culture is. *stabs*
                Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

And European! And European culture! 999 is the European number!
                  Jeez.
                  *Ella*
                  "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
                  There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
                  And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
                  What could mean more than this?"
                  --Bright Eyes

Comment

I really dislike Americans. And I am one. So no, I obviously don't mean offense. But so many of...us *shudder*...are so obnoxious.
                    And the Dragon's song, so wild and strong,
                    Fell from the sky like rain
                    Upon my soul; which, watered well,
                    Bloomed with a joy no words can tell
                    Where once was a dusty plain.

-A verse from the Song of the Winged Ones

Comment

Ah obnoxious Americans. Ha. Wait. You aren't talking about me, are you? I'm not an ignorant American!
                      Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

Pardon me. And European culture. But not European so much.

And anyway, Europeans have class. and better accents. *mutters*irish*mutters*

I don't hate Americans, really. I'm just not a huge fan of America, if you take my meaning. For various reasons. I guess the really obnoxious one is the way America occasionalyl seems to think it has a monopoly on justice and all the Right Ways to Do Things.

Comment

Wah... I hate stupid Americans, too, because so many of us think that we're "the last world power" and are so saturated with hypocracies and perfect contradictions (e.g., they act like we can't stand to change, and yet critisize other countries for being changeless; self-righteously denounce others' cruelty and discrimination, and yet are cruel and discriminating themselves--and deny it, etc., etc....)

...I suppose most of these things are a part of human nature, but, honestly, we don't have to be so durn conspicuous about it...

...and we also have a tendancy to immaturely denounce an entire system of ideas just because of the failure of a part of it.... to hate something so completely that we don't learn from its good parts... and, conversely, to be so impressed and in love with some things that we refuse to rectify its flaws...

Comment

Really unfortunately? You are the last Great Power. I can complain about it at length but it is, unfortunately, true, and will be until China gets its act together, Iapan gets a little more land, or... what else... I don't know. I expect it'll change eventually, it always does, and hopefully soon, but at least in the Western world, the US is the only real power. Which completely sucks, because there shoudl be at least one country to balance. But the States is just so BIG. >.<

Or, perhaps, NZ is just so SMALL. I mean, the population of NZ can fit into Sydney, fergawdsake, and Aussie isn't exactly huge.
                            In population, that is. it's a pretty big country.

The hypocrisy is the other thing, of course. it's all lovely for the US to go in and "liberate" Iraq. but they aren't "liberating" any of the other countries that may or may not need it. It's just a good excuse- good because it's also true, that there were huge problems with Hussein's regime.

Of course, they're not exactly getting any better. Did you know that Iraq was one of the most progressive Muslim countries; where women had the most rights? they could be promoted, drive, didn't have to wear headscarves, and a whole host of other things. Did you also know that that has changed, and will do so even more dramatically with the US's imposed "democracy?"

Comment

I'll say that I hate Bush and just about everything he stands for. It's terrible. Also, on the Iraq issue, I hate how everything is going. Rah rah rah! And don't think that all Americans were for the Iraq 'liberation.' Rah. Some people take the freedoms that they have in American and really misuse it. Near nude people on TV!!! Not right. Well, we're getting into a conversation about politics. Grr.

Comment

Working...
                              X