Universe = Brain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Universe = Brain?

I had this idea a while ago, when I was attending another science student's research presentation. It was about some kind of computer simulation of neural networks, which was kind of over my head, but when he showed a picture of a neural network I had an epiphany. The image of the neural network--something like this:
    --strongly reminded me of pictures of the structure of the universe:

... I had seen in astronomy class and elsewhere. One thing that surprised scientists when they were able to look at the structure of the universe was that galaxies were not as randomly distributed as they thought they would be; in fact, there were large pockets of empty space, which to me is similar to the gaps between neurons. So what if the universe... is a brain? (I don't appear to be the first one to come up with this idea, but I thought it was cool anyway.)

Thoughts?

(If nothing else, it's a good science fiction book idea.)
    ~*~
    ...to have been this once, completely, even if only once: to have been at one with the earth, seems beyond undoing.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, The Ninth Elegy

So basically, we could all be living inside someone else's brain is the way I keep seeing this...and there could be people living in our brains, and more people in their brains...

I read way too much science fiction over my winter break. Those pictures are cool to see too; I'd seen one of the brain like that, but never the universe. Interesting!

Comment

Oh my gosh...that's awesome.

I just hope we're not in an icky person's brain.

Wow...there could be people in my brain, and aliens.
      "This will look great next to my restraining order from Leonard Nimoy!" ~ Sheldon, Big Bang Theory

Comment

or it could just be that the universe itself is a giant living thing, rather than one person...

Avatar movie being a sort of good example of this.
        I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
        For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Wow. No pun intended, but I think my brain hurts!

I love the idea, though... have you ever seen Men in Black? It's like the locker scene at the end of the 2nd, or the famous marbles scene with the little alien kid playing with the marble that is our galaxy...

Gosh, could you imagine? I don't think we could comprehend something that intense and big...
          ..................~*Wolf*~..................
          AIM: CeliaWells8 / Twitter: Scifi_Nerd
          Won 2nd Place for Topic Of The Week 04, January, 2010!!!

Comment

Hmm, I guess I'll have to actually go see Avatar then... I definitely like that idea of the universe being alive.
            And yes, of course I've seen Men in Black! I kind of thought of that too.
            ~*~
            ...to have been this once, completely, even if only once: to have been at one with the earth, seems beyond undoing.
            - Rainer Maria Rilke, The Ninth Elegy

Comment

Working...
            X