Future College Freshmen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future College Freshmen

Are there any other high school seniors out there going through the application (i.e. waiting) process? I thought we could all discuss and commiserate about our various experiences in this thread.
    I'll start: I've applied to UChicago, Yale, Princeton, Lawrence, Macalester, WashU, Northwestern, and Indiana University. UChicago is my first choice right now. IU is my safety school, but I'm definitely not averse to going there, either. I'm almost done with my financial aid applications, and I have a music audition at IU, but then all I have to do is WAIT! April feels like it'll NEVER come!
    Anyway, feel free to share any pleasant, negative, or bleh-ful experiences you've had
    -Alicia

(I don't think this is a duplicate thread, but mods, feel free to delete this if it is.)

Hey, so right now I'm just going through the terrible experience of scholarship filling-out. I've already been accepted to a university here () so that's not bad... but now the paying for it is posing a problem...
    I have friends that haven't even applied though...
    Best of luck at your audition!
    "Moral indignation in most cases is 2% moral, 48% indignation, and 50% envy."--Vittorio de Sica

Comment

Evil applications. Al filled out, still needing to be sent in... And then the scholarships. *twitch* Too much.
      I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
      For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

I've applied to Keene State, Emerson College, and UNCSA. I heard back from Keene (I'm in of course... it was my safety school) But I still have to wait til like April for the other two. I have an interview with UNCSA on the 21st of this month.

EEP. My dad's laptop is losing battery. I'll come back and post more later.
        Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
        Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
        It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
        Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

This thread reminds me that I need to get my information together to apply to transfer to UBC (University of British Columbia).

Thankfully my first experience of applying to post-secondary went very well. I finished highschool at an adult education program* that was run through the college, so all of my records and everything were already in the system.

The second time was a NIGHTMARE, though. I sent in all the early admission forms (and the required $100) only to have transcript issues - my old school had send my university transcripts, but not my highschool ones. At the time I was on a geography field course for a month (california - so beautiful!) so by the time I got back I had missed the early admissions deadline. After finally reapplying (and another $75) I got denied because my program slots had already filled with early applicants.

But this story has a happy ending, dear reader. I took a bit of time off and spent a few months in New Zealand (also beautiful!). Then I cheated - I registered in an open studies summer program and took an Intro to Film class (I was a political science major). It got me registered in the university's system as a student and I had all my transcripts and things sorted months ahead of time - and additionally a tasty A- for my GPA. It was a matter of five minutes applying online and I was accepted.

I get a few bursaries/scholarships every year but they're never more then like $250 and almost more trouble then they're worth.

edit: I have a question and hopefully you friendly Americans could help me out. :3
          What's the application process like for schools there? Here you don't do much paperwork, but you have to pay a lot of money (about a hundred bucks!) just to apply, plus the cost of releasing your transcripts. I ask because it seems like some of you have applied to a lot of schools, an it seems like a lot of money to spend...
          (another note: here, university's have a list of required GPA for most undergraduate programs. If you meet the GPA standard for that year, students are accepted on a first-to-apply sort of thing)

* Don't drop out of school, anyone. It's REALLY EXPENSIVE once you're old.
          Last edited by Jacq; February 3, 2009, 11:14:16 PM.
          I would EAT THE HELL outta that steak, then try to guilt the cow into dying just for being a cow. I'd be all "NOM NOM HEY COW YOU'RE NOT MEAT YET WHAT GIVES JERK" and then I'd glare and give it the silent treatment. Same goes for pigs and chickens... I would guilt a FLOCK of chickens into poultrycide in a heartbeat. "HEY YOU'RE A CHICKEN HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THAT"- Madhatte

Comment

Jacq: The American application system requires LOADS of paperwork. Many schools have started using the Common Application, which cuts down on the number of times you have to fill out the basic name, address, etc, info, but they all have different essays. (At least, all the schools I applied to had different ones.) And yes, applying to college is expensive! The most expensive app I did was Yale, at $75, and the cheapest was Macalester, at $45. And then there is the nightmare of financial aid forms! Fortunately for me, my dad is doing most of that, but it's kind of ridiculous. Last semester I felt like I was taking an essay-writing class on top of all my schoolwork because of all the essays I had to write.
            Erin: I hate having to wait until April! I'm already starting to get paranoid about getting small envelopes from colleges in the mail. They follow me around in my sleep! *twitchtwitch* Good luck with your interview!

Comment

For me? My application process wasn't that hard. I just applied online for all three of mine. Only one of my colleges (Emerson) needed to use the common apps. And the essays were so easy! I only had to write a couple short answer (250 words) and one long one (500 words). I found it was so much easier than expected.

thebook: Yeah... waiting until April really does stink. My name is Emi by the way. I don't want to sound like a jerk... but I'm just saying.

My highest apps cost me $65 that was from Emerson I think. The lowest- $40 from Keene. Haha... I feel like I took an easy route.
              Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
              It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.

Comment

Emi: *hides behind desk* So sorry I got your name wrong! My only excuse is that I was typing on my iPod, and on the small screen, Emi looked like Erin to me. Or maybe I need new contacts. Not to be ignorant, but what does UNCSA stand for?
                -Alicia

Comment

Traditionally, university of North Carolina School of the Arts.

I still need to send a few in - I'm doing somewhere between ten and twenty, so that might be the difference. But common app ones all use the same essay, so it wasn't TOO bad.
                  One application got deleted, and there's no record of it - infuriating? Nooooo.
                  I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                  For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

YR: aahh I would like throw something at my computer if I found out one of my apps were deleted!! Haha. Thanks for filling in the info about UNCSA. It's just such a long name to type out... Although I guess with you on your iPod it would take longer? Anywho, thanks.

thebook: It's okay!! I was just letting you know just in case. It's not the first time people said my name wrong. Haha. I've had people mispronounce my name.

(Emi is like Emmy)

Yeah, I've gotten weird variations. Anyway back on topic. My mom is making me apply to RIT or Rochester Institute of Technology. One, because they can give me a really good discount on their tuition because I am "hard of hearing". Two, well actually that was the only reason. At least they have a film program there... right? God, I hope I am making the right decision. Haha.

Comment

I've already gotten into the University of Minnesota honors program, but I'm already taking classes at the college, so it would be really stupid if I didn't get in. It's my safety school I guess. I did common app for everything, so I don't find out from anyone until March. It's incredibly frustrating. I applied to Hampshire, Reed, Macalester, St Olaf and Lawrence. Lots of nice little liberal arts schools. I'd really like to go to Hampshire or Reed, but they're both extremely expensive (up around 50,000 a year). I can't wait for college though...I just want to know where I'm going.
                      The Taiko Dodo and Mitten of Insanity
                      I promise not to funfun anymore
                      Be happy cause life is good

Comment

I got into UNCSA. Found out about a week ago... Still need to hear from Emerson College... but I think it should be soon. My mom had me apply to RIT because it had this NHTC program.. can't remember the exact letters but it's for people who are deaf or hard of hearing (like me), and the tuition gets discounted... like a lot. So I applied there... but I really don't think I'm going there.

And I don't know if I really want to go to Emerson now, but I don't know. I'll just have to wait and see how much money I get from the schools.

Comment

Working...
                        X