When the Unicorn Jumps out of the Quilt -- Surprises in Writing Fantasy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When the Unicorn Jumps out of the Quilt -- Surprises in Writing Fantasy

Last night, I was browsing through my LiveJournal friends list, and I ran across an interesting post by Pamela Dean, author of Tam Lin, based on the Child Ballad, and Juniper, Gentian, Rosemary, which I highly recommend for the folks here.

It's a speech which she gave at her mother's church, entitled "When the Unicorn Jumps out of the Quilt -- Surprises in Writing Fantasy". It talks about how sometimes, stories didn't quite go where she was expecting.

Diane, anything you'd like to add here in your Copious Free Time (tm)? :-)
    "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Actually, I have more fun reading Pam's takes on DD's writing. For me, the Pamela Dean books to recommend to this board would actually be the Secret Country series: (Secret Country, Hidden Land, Whim of the Dragon).

Pamela rocks. BTW, in John M. Ford's How Much For Just the Planet?, Pamela is the chef with the recalcitrant salmon ("Pam! Bullets won't stop it!").
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Working...
    X