Long-timers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long-timers

Today is my four year anniversary of joining this forum! I joined on 29th June 2002.

I was wondering if anyone else has been around as long as me, because I can't remember who else was a member when I joined. I think there were only about 100 members, maybe less. So, if anyone has memories of this board from back when it was new, please share them here and fill in the gaps in my memory.

Wow, congratulations! I obviously haven't been around for quite so long, but my tenure is not unrespectable, either; my four-year anniversary's this September. (Um, wow, I just checked that, because I was pretty sure it was going to be my three-year, but apparently not.) Ella (EWizard11), who has been around more lately, has been around longer than that. As for memories, someone else probably remembers better than me, but I particularly remember the old chat room (with sound effects! And you could pick your own name; we used to change names and guess who was who, which was hilariously awesome); small DD chats of four or five people; Chatter I (*tear*); the opening of the Topic of Great randomness; periodic deletes of old topics (okay, I don't miss that at all!); only having to check back every two or three days to keep up; two (was it two?) board crashes; um, what else... most of my memories have to do with individuals, I have to admit. I have some pretty clear recollections of specific conversations, but that'd be boring for everyone except, you know, me.

Now I'm all emotional; it has been and continues to be such a pleasure to be around here (even only sporadically, like lately) over the years! Y'all are great. *hearts*

ETA: I just checked, and Ella's been around since (drumroll please) the 27th of June, 2002. Heh!
    Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

I've been around since January 2003, so I'm not quite as venerable as some of you old sages. I don't post as much as I used to, either; I lose track of threads too easily, and don't ask me about TToGR!

I've noted that very few of the people I remember from "small-kid-time" still post with any frequency. You know who you are.
      "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
      "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

I was a lurker from the time I joined this board until W@W came out, when I suddenly had a lot to say.

I went for an entire year not being able to get on here because I had forgotten my own user name . I eventually got around to requesting my password (which I actually could remember) so that I could get my user name.

Comment

ETA: I just checked, and Ella's been around since (drumroll please) the 27th of June, 2002. Heh!
          Wow! I guess I just had my four-year anniversary three days ago...that's unbelievable! I somehow happened to find YW.net before the boards were even up, so I was one of the very, very first members...I was here before we could have avatars, and everybody was so excited when we got them. And then we were even more excited when we could make our own. Nevertheless, the American flag I have now is the one I've had since the first avatars, and it weirds me out when other people have it. I remember the first chat (Sigma, was it?) which I was actually able to use...Chime never worked on my computer. I remember the first DD chat I went to...I remember creating the TOGR with the assumption that it would maybe reach 3 pages if we were lucky...(remember how excited we were when it got to, like, 5?) I remember the off-topicness that has been characteristic of these boards. I remember newbie packs. I remember when Agent M (where is she, by the way?) was m********** (remember what that stands for?) I remember the creation of Poot. I remember the demise of the original Chatter. I remember all the board makeovers...and crashes (luckily there were very few of those last). I remember when I moved and still had my YW friends there for me...and when they made me a Happy Birthday website when I turned 13 in the October of my first year at my new school, when I knew barely anyone and didn't have a party. I remember when the board grew so quickly that practically every five minutes there was a new TOGR post...and I remember the post war...was it between M and Tui? Or maybe M and dp_pr? I remember breathlessly reading and discussing the excerpts from, and then welcoming Alone, Holiday, and W@W. And I remember delighting in meeting all the new members that make this board such an awesome place.

Ah, nostalgia...
          *Ella*
          "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
          There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
          And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
          What could mean more than this?"
          --Bright Eyes

Comment

I feel odd or aok-ward I only been on post for a few mounths and I...well I post alot you get it!

Comment

That's right! I found YW.net before the forums were up too! I'd totally forgotten that. And no avatars? Of course! That's why after I found my user name again I had to make a new avatar! Thank you Ella

Comment

don't ask me about TToGR!
                Do I ever know what you mean. I just don't go there anymore! It is so daunting.

It weirds me out when other people have it.
                It weirds me out when other people have it. I'm all "It's Ella! Wait! No it's not!"

And speaking of avatars, I was feeling nostalgic today and wanted to change my avatar back to my old one... but I couldn't find it anywhere, or the original picture on google images. I'm actually kind of heartbroken. :-/

Ella, you make me want to run around and shout m*********** at the top of my voice, or, er, capslock, or something. *ahem* I am, of course, far too mature to do any such thing, or participate in the post war you mention above (I still deny that I lost! Okay, not really.) I remember threatening people with the wrath of Aurora; and the Kawaii Bunny Avatar! (I remain in the not-evil camp, BTW.)

I also remember the coveted "first 100" avatars, which you hardly ever see around here any more... although Ella and Space Cadet must have had one, originally.
                Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

I've only been on for a little over two years...so I'm not an extreme oldbie. I remember some of the stuff you're talking about... I'm pretty sure I remember the wrath of Aurora, and the post war sounds familiar.

Heh...when I was a newbie, my posts were so...bad. *sigh* I was constantly struggling with Poot. Of course, then, if you missed a day in the ToGR, you were behind on one or more full pages of posts. They weren't even all that long; there were just so many of them. I missed last week, and there were only like five posts to catch up on.
                  <3
                  the awesome like whipped cream || Queen of Nonsensical || Guardian Angel of YW || who *dies* a lot || but <3s everybody || who pours out her soul || and doesn't always say what she should || but is

Comment

I never had a 'first 100' avatar. They must have been handed out while I was away. Darn it.

I only ever tried looking at the TOGR twice, and gave up in despair. It started while I was away too.

Comment

db_pr's not DEAD!!!!!

First post in about 3 months...
                      Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
                      ------------------------------------------------------------
                      "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

whew, do i feel like a newbie...i suppose i am, actually.how long have i been here? a little over a year, right? you do the math. and i need to post more...really, i come here every day and am sometimes just too lazy to post...ah well, i'll leave you oldbies to chat.. jk.

Comment

Peridexis, you've been here six months, I've been here four years, and you only have 28 less posts than me. Don't worry.

I think it's the quality of posts, not the quantity that matters. I often see newbies who have several hundred posts in a month or two, but if you look at what those people say, it usually "me too" or "come look at . . ." rather than something that contributes to the discussion.

Comment

muntaz point. (muntaz means "excellent" in arabic...)i'd like to think my posts are worthwhile...yes, some are, but say in TTOGR they're...well, random.

-peri

Comment

Working...
                            X