No announcement yet.

Which edition of the books do you read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which edition of the books do you read?

Digest
    16.67%
    Photo one (mass-market)
    33.33%
    does not matter to me!
    33.33%
    what?
    16.67%
    ZZZZZZ
    0.00%

I seem to have voted in this, but I don't remember doing it. Its an interesting topic (especially since acquiring first editions of SYWTBAW and HW), as there are differences between the different editions.

I have read the Harcourt Magic Carpet paperbacks and hard covers for the whole series - the ones with the complicated pictures that you see more in each time you look for the first four, and the 'photograph' ones for the more recent books, the first edition of SYW (which is interesting for the line in the back from Joanne regarding a colour TV, rather than the 'wide screen TV' that it is in the current edition (I think - please correct me if I'm wrong)), and a book club edition of AWAb (but there weren't any differences between it and the paperback that I had read otherwise).

Comment

Can someone explain what this means??? i got that massmarket one but whats digest...and one-photo and the otherstuff. i'm just curious because i voted what and wanted to kno what i should have voted.
      It is better to die on your feat then to live a life on your knees-Emiliano Zapata.
      That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.-dad

Comment

For the first four books, I read the editions that I think Alla is referencing - the painted covers that were almost collage/montages. The later books were the Magic Carpet paperbacks, with the numbered spines.

I replaced Deep Wizardry with the Magic Carpet version after lending it to a friend and losing it to the aether. Now my bookshelf looks funny.
        I would EAT THE HELL outta that steak, then try to guilt the cow into dying just for being a cow. I'd be all "NOM NOM HEY COW YOU'RE NOT MEAT YET WHAT GIVES JERK" and then I'd glare and give it the silent treatment. Same goes for pigs and chickens... I would guilt a FLOCK of chickens into poultrycide in a heartbeat. "HEY YOU'RE A CHICKEN HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THAT"- Madhatte

Comment

It said I voted... but I don't remember voting??? Oh well. I think I have all the newer ones.... yes I do. I have the newer ones from Magic Carpet (the numbers on the spine). I think I like those covers better for some odd reason. I think it's because the pictures look so real. I can't wait for AWOM to come out.
          Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
          Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
          It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
          Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

I don't remember voting, either, but maybe I do faintly....

Anyway I own the entire collection of this type:

http://www.amazon.com/Wizards-War-Ei...3800260&sr=8-2
            "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Originally posted by Septimus View Post
              Can someone explain what this means??? i got that massmarket one but whats digest...and one-photo and the otherstuff. i'm just curious because i voted what and wanted to kno what i should have voted.
              There is information on the publication history over at http://www.youngwizards.com/YW-Publi...-David-Wiesner and the following pages. There aren't images of each one, but the ISBNs are there, so you can just put them into google and have a look at the covers.

Comment

I have all of the books except 1, 3, and 6 in the... that one.... I have no idea what the name is....ummm... Oh, in the ones that Eric has. Those...

Number 6 is in the newer style, and numberse 1 and 3 are these. I loved these books, because when I started reading them, to a few years later, I looked exactly like the Nita in the picture. I thought it was pretty cool... But I was 11 and 12, so I look different, now. Haha...

Oh, and the computer in the picture of the High Wizardry cover? (This one: Click Here.) I had a computer that looked just like that! It was kind of funny... It was a cute little machine... It eventually died, but it was fun when it was still alive.

So yes, I bought books 1-3 at the library booksale (they got new copies), and the rest I bought at a bookstore that only had one of each book... I hope they got a new stock...
                Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

Huhh?
                  sory, I doe't get anny of this.
                  Life is short, eat dessert first!

Comment

I've read all of them in the mass market paperback editions. The first time I read WH and WAW it was the hard cover editions cause i have to read them pretty much the day they come out and then I get the paper back edition when it comes out--which is the one that goes on the shelf, or rather between my matress and the headboard for easy reading. I always get the digest versions for my friend though, it's pretty much expected that I get her the newest one when it comes out in digest but she always is like, "Hmm... what could this possibly be?"

I also seem to have voted in this poll but don't remember it, maybe there is some sort of forum poll amnesia going around
                    Dai stiho cousins
                    ~~~Ezra

Comment

Well I just voted in this one, so hopefully I'd remember voting!

As for the editions: doesn't matter to me--mostly because seem to have unconciously made it my goal to collect all of the original/mass market covers. Maybe someday Powell's will have a first edition at a nice, college-student-affordable-price, right?

Heh, a girl can dream.

Anyways, I have the original harcover of AWA, and the paperback of the painting/collage for HW and DW--but still haven't found another for SYWTBAW. I think. It's been a while since I checked my shelves at home.

As for what I bring to Uni with me? The mass markets, with the photo coverse. Easy to replace, if they get loaned or lost!
                      ---------------------------
                      ~
                      And we go on...

Comment

I looove the mass market Harcourt Magic Carpet ones. I collected all the ones that are out in this edition, and refuse to buy them hardcover xD
                        It's weird to confess, but I love everything about the physical book itself- the texture of the pages, the size, how bendy the covers are, how the pages turn under my thumb, the font, the color of the page, the even the smell.
                        Especially the smell ^-^;;
                        "A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing."
                        -Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
                        X