No announcement yet.

The books, in general

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birdhead, have you tried George R.R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" series on your brother, yet? That might cure him. (Or, alternatively, if you haven't read it, you may wanna give it a whirl, if you like Tolkien. The first volume is A Game of Thrones).
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

I haven't read it. I have heard about it, though... the good and the bad. I visit a Wheel Of Time site regularly, and in their other fantasy section, there are regular pitched battles comparing the two. It can be very funny to watch. I've heard Martin "Kills Everybody, Dammit!" () I'll confess, I've never been fond of series in which everyone dies. However, maybe I should try it.
      T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
      Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
      Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
      Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
      My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
      Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
      Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Yeah, the SoIaF fans and the WoT fans seem to be diametrically opposed. I'm firmly in the SoIaF camp, so you might want to take that into account with my recommendation (been a fan of GRRM's about as long as I've been a fan of Diane Duane's).

GRRM isn't killing off everyone, but he has absolutely no compunctions about killing off characters you like/love, so if that's too much to take, you may want to stay away. There's also some graphic bloodshed (and sex) in the books, so I probably wouldn't recommend this series for pre-teens.

The series is structured like a historical drama. The main backbone of the story is a group of royal and noble houses and their shifting alliances: court intrigue, kinship, and conflicting loyalty oaths play their parts. It's got a medieval/European-based setting.

The main characters that you follow are the Starks: one half-brother, three brothers and two sisters. They range from (I think) sixteen to three in the first book, and by the second book, each child (except the youngest) has his/her own storyline, and you follow them individually, and the tone will shift, depending on whose eyes are seeing the story.
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Sounds interesting... I'm going to the library today. Maybe I'll pick up the first one.
          T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
          Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
          Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
          Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
          My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
          Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
          Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Back on the original subject... Isn't there another book that is a sequil to Book of Night with Moon? To see the Queen, I think. I haven't read it yet myself but tecknicly it would be in the same world as the young wizards books. So it should be on the list too.

Comment

It's to visit the Queen. GOOD book, I liked it A LOT better then the first....... probably because I didn't actually like the first one very much..... but it's a good book.

*Agent~M*

"Not old enough to love as yet but old enough to die indeed" DW
              "Thank you Jack" "Your welcome" "No not you, we named the monkey Jack" -Pirates of the Caribbean
              Look closely at your next subway token. And speak to strangers.- SYWTBAW 20th Ed.
              "Do what the night tells you, and read the fine print before you sign!"- DW, Picchu
              I lost my marbles, PLEASE HELP ME FIND THEM!!!!!!!
              *Agent~M*
              "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
              "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
              "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
              "I could live

Comment

Working...
              X