Why do YOU love the YW books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do YOU love the YW books?

I know all of you probably have some different reasons, which is why I'm asking all of you: why?
    I love the YW books because they're a combination of two of my favorite things ever-- theoretical physics and moral philosophy. I really like reading the ways in which DD managed to make wizardry a type of science, and I think it's awesome how the Wizards' Oath is is sort of a type of moral philosophy. I consider being a practicing, successful wizard as the sort of self-transcendence described by Frankle in Man's Search For Meaning.
    I like to turn to the YW books when I can't decide whether I want to read something like Hyperspace or The Elegant Universe or something more psychological like Dostoyevsky's works (and I also like reading Kant, although I consider myself a virtue ethicist-- IDK why, but Kant'e writing feels a lot more interesting to me)). Of course, the YW books could never substitute for these masterpieces, but at least I don't get the funny looks and double-takes from strangers when I'm reading the YW books on the subway (it doesn't happen much now, but I got that a lot when I was 11 and going home on the subway whilst reading The Brothers Karamazov... WAIT NO the weirder looks came whilst I was reading God Made The Integers (Stephen Hawking)(thankfully though, unlike Nita or Dairine, I was never really labelled a nerd because when I was younger my classmates were too young to know what a nerd was and by the time we did reach that age I had tested into a school for "nerds" and we all read these sorts of books. Anyways)).
    All in all what made the YW books a deep passion for me (aside from Dairine <3<3) was probably just the fact that a) they were probably the only scifi/fantasy series I've read which manages to incorporate theoretical physics and moral philosophy into something worth reading, and b) I feel like I relate a lot to the characters (and not just Dairine, but wizards in general-- "Wizardry is choices." Being someone in me, in my generation, I have a lot of choices. People swear I have dozens more choices open to me than they ever did, whether they are of older generations or also part of mine, and I feel like that's sort of what drove me to be interested in moral philosophy, and to see it used in the YW books like that... to see wizards-- no matter how fictional they are-- make these choices, is what makes me love the YW books and the characters so much). I turn back to these books when I'm bored or lonely, or sometimes just when I want something meaningful to read. They've always been there for me-- at first my local library had all the YW books, and then when I moved my new school owned a shelf and a half of the YW books, which I read time and time again until I saved up enough allowance to buy all of them (which took a while, considering that a) I was too young to get a job, b) It's not like I would've had time to work what with the 3-5 hours of homework a day and c) I didn't get much allowance...).
    So basically, now I'm just asking all of you what makes the YA books special to you, and/or why you love them.
    Last edited by Spoonwood; September 1, 2011, 11:46:33 AM.

There are about a million reasons I love them, lol. The books were pretty much tailor-made for me. But one of the reasons is probably the respect inherent in wizardry - everything is treated with respect, period, even the Lone Power (Fairest and Fallen, etc.)

Also, Nita and Kit (and Dairine) are nerds, and proud of it! ^_^ I love it.

And the presence of trustworthy, helpful, supportive adult figures makes me so happy. In so many books, kids have to sneak around and do things behind their parents' backs - and it's true, for the first book and half of the second, Nita does hide her wizardry from her parents. But when she and Kit come clean, their parents are there for them, and Harry Callahan possibly gets some of the most character development of any secondary character in the series - and it's just so awesome in how he's so supportive and still a parental/authority figure in Nita and Dairine's life. We haven't seen as much of Kit's parents but from what we have, they're great, too.

Oh, and Tom and Carl. *huggles them* They are the best mentors anyone could wish for. Ever. I am repeatedly blown away by their awesome. I especially love Carl in DW, when he talks to Nita about her choices in the ritual - (so not like Dumbledore and Harry's Suicide Cheer Squad, lol!) He supports her emotionally even while talking her through all her options, instead of just telling her "you've got to do it," he gives her the choice and lets her come to her own conclusions.

And . . . and . . . the wizardry just makes so much sense. I have zero trouble suspending my disbelief. And each of the books is so wonderful in its own way; the series has gone on for so long and I'm still nowhere near bored of it. Now I need book ten. Can I has it?

Comment

Working...
    X