Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a puzzle scattered across the title pages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a puzzle scattered across the title pages?

I just noticed something strange... The title pages of the books have symbols in the corners of the patterend border-box: crescent moon, 4-pointed star, 12-pointed star, crab, etc. Each of the 9 books in the series has a selection of these symbols, but they're mostly different, yet seemingly not random. Sometimes there's a symmetry, sometimes just one repeated pair, sometimes none.

Now, one of my hobbies is writing puzzles, so I tend to see the world in puzzle overlays they way Nita saw Ireland in spell overlays. So am I just projecting puzzles into the world (and suffering from withdrawl from my stealth-pun theory), or is there something worth deciphering in here?

Specifically, these are the US editions by Harcourt, both hardcover and paperback.

Each book has a unique symbol used in its chapter headings. Call these 1-9 for the different books. The four corners of the title page are chosen from these symbols as follows, four symbols per title page, clockwise from top left:

What do you guys make of that?
    Ardub
    r:w)

I always just thought they were random symbols, myself. But I don't really do the patterns thing, because honestly, if you look hard enough, you'll find patterns where none were intended. It's like a law of nature or something. So sure, I think you /could/ be seeing a pattern, if you wanted to, but I'm also not sure it was precisely intended. I don't even see a pattern in the symbols, except the 2nd symbol is always in there, in at least that 2nd position, if not more places. That's not a pattern, though, really. That at least makes sense, since it's a moon symbol.
    "Sometimes, people build walls- not to keep people out but to see who cares enough to knock them down." -Anonymous

Comment

Well, I'm not sure I personally see a pattern, but I applaud your efforts and don't think you're necessarily wrong. Don't give up!- but don't obsess over it, either. I'm always super impressed with people that can spot patterns, intentional or no. So mad props!
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

...and eyes, sweet as honey, soft as moss, that hold in their black vessels the bitterness of old wounds and the tired peace of growing wisdom.

Comment

Yeah, there is usually a pattern in everything... If you're looking for it. Hmmm. Have you tried pairing the different sets of numbers to letters?
        "at least i thought it was a wall. It sure felt like one. It was hard, it was flat. It stretched out on either side of me. You know... wall." -Bobby Pendragon

Comment

Sometimes it seems we're hard-wired to look for patterns in things in such a deep way that we'll see them even where there are none. Other times... well, did you ever get to see a copy of Masquerade or its sequel?
          -- Rick.

Comment

Working...
          X