twychild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• twychild

I thought the twychild concept was great. I love the details in this book. So many interesting new characters.

Yeah, me too.

It's really a great concept, bouncing the spells between them to make them stronger.

By the way, Charles Mackay's 'Lost Beauties of the English Language' says:

Twychild -- someone who is senile, in their "second childhood"

Tee-hee.

Comment

Nguyget: What happened to her!? What does "burned-out" mean!? Dead, temporarily drained of wizardry, losing her wizardry completely, what? And I like how you are at least a little attatched to her because Nita and Kit (I think it was those two- or was it Dairine?) who saw her and started talking with them- the style comment, the little things like that that sort of endear you to the character. So that was pretty well done, even though at that point you aren't caring much about anyone besides Ronan/Ponch/Roshaun.
      When I am riding, my heart is not in my chest, but between my knees.

Comment

Alethia asked:
        Nguyget: What happened to her!? What does "burned-out" mean!? Dead, temporarily drained of wizardry, losing her wizardry completely, what?
        I worried about her, too, even though she's just been introduced.
        In the transcript of the September chat, I asked:
        Peter Murray DD: What did Tuyet mean when he said Nguyet "burned out" - a temporary wizardry problem, a permanent one, or permanent brain damage? Or is that also to be answered in AWOM?
        Diane Duane PM -- I think that particular problem was temporary.

Edited URL for rearranged webspace.
        Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Huzzah! Thank you.

Comment

Eureka! I'm just rereading Deep Wizardry and when Nita looks through the different healing sections in her book for S'reee, it mentions in passing something about "brainburn" next to "spell backlash". Sounds fitting for Nguyet, doesn't it? At least whatever it is is temporary. -whew-
            Anyhow, I hope the twychild(ren?) are introduced even more during the next book. I grew kind of attached to them and want to learn more about their characters.

Alethia: the style comment, the little things like that that sort of endear you to the character. So that was pretty well done, even though at that point you aren't caring much about anyone besides Ronan/Ponch/Roshaun
            I couldn't agree more. That's exactly how I felt! The unique interaction between the two made me very interested in them, even with everything else going on

Comment

Thanks, MWG!
              And I was thinking about S'Ree's comments... but PM already said that it was temporary... huzzah.

Comment

I also loved the comments about Nguyet and Tuyet, as well as the concept of Twychildren. I really hope Nguyet and Tuyet are in future books.

As for 'burned out,' I took it in its figurative meaning, that someone's used all their energy and is really tired, but will otherwise be fine.

Comment

Did anyone else notice that when Kit and Nita were discussing the 'strangeness' of the twychild, they sounded a lot like they were discussing their own start in wizardry?

"Yeah," Nita said. "Imagine how it must have been for them. Joint Ordeals . . . never having to find someone to help you with a spell . . ." She shook her head.
                  "Having another wizard in your head with you all day, instead of by invitation?" Kit said. "A little too weird for me."
                  (page 110 - 111)
                  I really cracked up when I read this.

Comment

*Bangs head against something sharp*
                    Lol, of course! Brilliant. Joint ordeals, mental messaging...
                    Wow, I feel so stupid right now...
                    Nice.

Comment

Diane Duane PM -- I think that particular problem was temporary.
                      Which is more reassuring than the new entry in the Concordance about Brainburn, isn't it?

Space Cadet: Yes, it does - Kit seemed to prefer his and Nita's more voluntary approach to it. That should give shippers evidence .
                      Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Originally posted by Sibby:
                        I also loved the comments about Nguyet and Tuyet, as well as the concept of Twychildren. I really hope Nguyet and Tuyet are in future books.
                        I'm concerned that the two were disposable...

I am very interested in the two and what THEIR story is. It's unlike DD to introduce and 'kill' characters so lightly, but I'm still concerned.

This rambling post brought to you by: Dave

Comment

Well think of Fred- we knew him for just about half of a book, and then he goes and dies on us. :-) We knew... of wow I forgot his name... the shark (Ed?) for only the smallest time, then HE gets killed off... I guess it isn't that unusual, when you think about it.
                          And even if this is unlikely of her, this is an unlikely situation. I mean, if the whole universe is in danger, there are bound to be a lot of casualties. I think that by doing things like that to characters we barely know but still are attached to, she is able to show how serious the situation actually is. That's what makes her such a swisse writer! *Siiigh*

Comment

yesyes!! i love the twychild already! but, (here's a dark thought) wizardry is very dangerous. they know that of course; they're wizards, duh. but what if one of them die? what'll happen to the other?

Comment

What do you mean? It's not like the other one's going to die as well. They just won't have the spell-strength. Not to mention that the psychological impact may screw up the wizardry...[/random guess]

Comment

Working...
                              X