Nitpicking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitpicking

Okay, while this novel is very good, there are still a few flaws, inconsistencies and what not. So here's a short list of what I've been able to come up with. Feel free to add, comment or criticize:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>Nita's changing hair color: Okay, in the first book (and probably elsewhere as well) she was described as "dark-haired." Later in the afterword to the 20th Anniversary Edition, a girl with "dark blonde" hair is described as looking "exactly" like Nita. Now on the first page of W@W Nita is described as a "light brunette." So, explanations anyone?
    <LI>Dark matter, dark energy, and, well, dark stuff: Okay, the idea that dark matter is pushing the universe apart does make for an neat premise for W@W, except that, it's technically wrong. Dark matter in fact, may actually be keeping the universe together, not pushing it apart, it is dark energy that is pushing the universe apart. So, if a cosmologist were to read this book for fun, he or she would be in for a bit of a surprise. The names "dark matter" and "dark energy" are in fact a bit misleading. The word "dark" here has less to do about their color, and more to do about what little we know about them. Cosmologists so far have inferred through gravitational effects that the mass of the universe is much higher than what is observed, so the "missing" matter is dubbed as being "dark," and similarly, when cosmologists discovered that the universe was expanding after observing a type 1A supernova, and couldn't explain what was causing the push, they dubbed the extra energy as being "dark." The word has been used this way in the past, for example, Africa was once called the "dark continent" by Europeans for a while because they knew little about it. So, just a technicality, but it would've been interesting to see DD dealing with "dark energy" as the Pullulus .
    <LI>Ronan's pup tent: This is very minor, but since when did Ronan have a pup tent? Did the Defender want to do him a favor for sharing his head space and give him an excursus for spring break too?
    <LI>The color of Roshaun's re-attuned gem: At the end, Dairine gets to keep Roshaun's gem which has adjusted itself to be attuned to the Sun and takes on it's color, namely, a light golden yellow. The only problem is that that's the color of the sun after it's been filtered through the Earth's atmosphere (the same reason the sky's blue), it's really bright white. This doesn't affect the storyline much though, just another technicality.[/list]
    Anyway, this is about all that I came across, as a I said, feel free to comment or add your own.
    ---------------------------
    "The law of entropy is just a complicated way of explaining why some things don't happen very often."
    -Norman Christ, Professor of Physics, Columbia University (Does the Lone One know this? :P)

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI>Nita's changing hair color
    There was a bit of discussion of that after the first excerpt went up, and we decided her air went lighter because of all the sunshine while she was lazing around on Alaalu's beaches.
    <LI>I'll leave others to talk about dark matter.
    <LI>Ronan's pup tent
    Maybe he was given one because the Powers were sending him on this mission?
    I wondered about Dairine's pup tent, but then realised she's using Nita's tent. (And her lemon sodas.)
    <LI>You didn't nitpick "Darrell" on page 101 .[/list]
    Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Regardless if the "dark materials", as I will call them, are keeping the universe together or pulling it apart is irrelevant. If the amount of something like that begins to increase so exponentially, it will begin to expand the universe, regardless it's original intent, or so I would think.

Nita's hair, on the other hand, may go through phases of color. When I was younger, i had black hair, now I have brown hair, which gets darker or lighter randomly enough. It's just natural. The beach lounging could also be a part of it, as that will make hair lighter.

Also, we see the sun as the yellow color, which is why it would appear as such in the ring...it's simply reflecting the color accepted by the planet's peoples, I woudl assume.

Comment

Concerning dark stuff:
        Evangelion999, I take your argument being that if there's more dark stuff (of whatever kind) the effect is the same (that is, the universe is pushed apart). This is not true as far as I can tell. Dark matter pulls things together, so introducing more of it would probably pull things closer together (in extreme cases in might even create a black hole, but I'm not too sure about it). Increasing mass doesn't mean you have increasing volume, as black holes can attest to. Dark energy is essentially antigravity, and so would push things farther apart, which is what you really want. So if W@W wanted to be true to physics, dark energy would have to be used. However, I think DD's main point is that introducing dark stuff could alter how physics works slightly and make wizardry harder to implement. She could get away with this if dark matter or dark energy does change how you do physics locally, but I'm not sure if that's really true.

Nita's changing hair color:
        Evangelion999, you're the first person I've ever heard of to have naturally changing hair color. I guess yours or PM's explanations are plausible, so I won't argue. I have a hunch though that DD doesn't really have an exact image of Nita in her mind, or if she does, it's one that's changed over time, and so she hasn't been paying too close attention to how Nita's been described before. (I also feel that she's been similarly lax with the timeline, but that's another story.)

Roshaun's "sunstone":
        Well, a I don't really know how it works, it may not be worth nitpicking, so I guess Evangelion999's explanation works.

PM said:
        You didn't nitpick "Darrell" on page 101 .
        Heh, I can't believe I missed that one! Maybe I did notice it, but then forgot about it. What's harder to believe is that DD missed it!
        "The law of entropy is just a complicated way of explaining why some things don't happen very often."
        -Norman Christ, Professor of Physics, Columbia University (Does the Lone One know this? :P)

Comment

*raises hand*

Before I started dying it (it's green now...), my hair changed color (naturally) too. It started off blonde, then got darker, then got redder. My roots now look like a dark reddish brown. My mother has the same sort of hair, and she was blonde until her mid forties because she was outside so much, but now her hair is dark red/brown too. Also, I have a friend who was born with black hair and now has light brown/blonde hair. So these things can change with age.

And now that you've been thoroughly ganged up on...

I Am The (Semi-Original) Roshaun Fan. Yay for Prince Unlikely!

Comment

*blushes* I must also say that my hair changes color as well. It's nothing dramatic really, but in the summer it gets a lot lighter because of the sun. Normally it's sort of a medium golden blonde, and when I'm outside a lot it turns sort of bright gold. Crazy, huh?

Comment

What bothers me is that Dairine was born in 1978 and yet she's still like 11 when the iPod comes out...xD

Comment

Moeen - Dark matter's just our name for "matter that we know must exist, because we see its net gravitational effects slowing the expansion of the universe, but we don't know where/what it is", yes? It's not like it's a specific kind of matter, which seems to be what DD is using the term to mean.

So DD's pseudophysics work if we pretend Dark Matter isn't our usual notion dark matter, but something specific the Lone Power devised to mess with physics. I think I'd have preferred it if she'd not bothered with the matter and just gone with "space is suddenly expanding way faster than it should be in various places."

I'm not sure if physics actually changes in very high gravetational fields (such as neutron stars. From what I understand there, the atoms more or less fall apart and you just get a big ball of neutrons), or if it's more accurate to say that our current best descriptions just fail in extreme conditions, just as classical mechanics fail at speeds close to the speed of light, and we need relativity. And at very small distances, classical mechanics fail and we need quantum mechanics.

It seems kind of interesting to me that wizardry might not know the fully generalized form of all the laws of physics yet. Wizards, yes, so you'd get spells not working quite right just because of that.

Comment

Reboot: You're right that DD's timeline for the the YW series doesn't correspond to the timeline in real life, but DD doesn't see that as a problem. I believe she addressed this in one of her podcasts, and definitely addresses this (at least partially) in her forward to the 20th Anniversary Edition of the first book.

Mercredi: Your pretty much on top of what Dark Matter is, but I don't think it's directly related to the expansion of the universe. It's true, she could've just said that space is simply expanding much faster than usual, but she likes to ground her stuff in reality, so I'm guessing she tried to give some sort of scientific explanation. She also probably likes this stuff, so tries to include in her books in some way. It's just that she seems to have slipped on the terminology a bit, but it's not something the average reader would pick on.

Well, quantum mechanics tries to describe what's small, and relativity what's fast, it's just that in cases where you have both, say in a black hole, physicists don't have a formulation that can describe what's going on. You bring up an interesting point though. If doing wizardry involves being able to descibe something exactly, and can include such things as white holes or black holes, don't wizards then have answers to all of the physicists questions? The Speech, in the YW universe, after all is capable of describing anything, which means it should be able to transcend even mathematical models of the universe (which is what physics is all about really). The Speech should then provide also the ultimate form of mathematics. This then begs the question, what are wizards in the YW universe waiting for? Anyone of them could become more famous than even Einstein and solve pretty much all scientific problems!

Comment

My hair colour likes to randomly change as well. When I was born, it was dark, dark brown, almost black. By the time I was three, it was lightish blonde. Now, it's darker blonde, and in several years will probably darken enough that I can call it brown.

I heard somewhere that your hair colour actually changes, albeit somewhat subtlely, every seven years.
                    ------------------------------

Et meme si la route est bien longue a la fin,
                    Et meme si la doute nous fait serrer les poings
                    L'amour nous rassure, brise les murs d'incertitude...

Comment

Well, okay the hair color is different and the dark matter is off. As a regular reader who knows nothing about anyhting other than YW I don't know and I don't care. I don't use the information to impressive people with my physics knowledge. Here's my question, since when is Nita 14??? Wans't she fifteen in the last books?
                      The worst thing about new books is that they keep us from reading the old ones.
                      -Dai

Comment

the daryll thing...
                        The Daryll thing? Were?
                        hair color...
                        When I was born my hair was brown and one weekend it just turned red. Now I am blonde as can be, but my hair is slowly starting to get darker again.
                        sehlinger
                        And i am going to eat... it... all...
                        -AND I AM GOING TO EAT....IT... ALLLLLLLLLLLLL

Comment

At risk of thrashing the subject to death, I was born with straight black hair, a year later I had straight white hair, in Intermediate school it was wavy blonde, and now at the age of (insert something sufficient for me to have a university degree), I have brown hair in natural frizzy ringlets. Another ten years, and who knows what my hair will be like?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Murray:
                            <UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI>
                            <LI>Ronan's pup tent
                            Maybe he was given one because the Powers were sending him on this mission?
                            I wondered about Dairine's pup tent, but then realised she's using Nita's tent. (And her lemon sodas.)[/list]
                            Ronan is probobly using Roshaun's tent seeing as he didn't bring it along/use it during the book

The question then is where did all the stuff go...

Comment

It wouldn't have worked if DD had just said "The universe is expanding faster than it should have." For the sake of adding drama, the wizards had to have something physical to fight with: the Pullulus, the aggregate of dark matter. You take that out, and half of the story is gone.

And I don't think we can compare it to what we would usually refer to as dark matter. Ronan refers to it as "a perversion of dark matter" by the Lone Power (164). And Nita says that it felt like "the dark matter...had had something added to it...something terrible" (162). So the Lone Power could have twisted the properties of dark matter, or made up a new "dark matter" of his own. Even if DD doesn't have the correct concept of dark matter, it really doesn't matter. Perhaps she should have called it something different, though...
                              "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                              X