No announcement yet.

Carmela outrageous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right after Ponch goes off and destroys another of the LP's avatars, the Transcendent Pig tells Kit that "the dogs now have a version of the One". My first thought was that that indicated Ponch had been a direct manifestation of a form of the One. Concurrence/disagreement on this one?

Also, in reference to Carmela being a wizard due to her having acted against entropy, I don't necessarily agree that acting against entropy makes one a wizard. After all, in SYWTBAW, the manual mentions that everyone can take actions that reduce entropy, but it is the use of the Speech that makes one a wizard. And, even though she is becoming fluent in the Speech, anything she says in the speech will lack the enactive essence necessary for spelling (see http://www.youngwizards.com/Errantry...x.php/Enacture), making greater and more complex actions against the LP difficult if not impossible for her (such as her inability to survive in vacuum without someone else to spell for her). This doens't mean I think she's useless though - I think she has a great part to play in the fight to come.
    Vote Tom and Carl for new Planetaries!

Comment

I don't think so - not in the way that Peach was Michael, or that Ronan carried Michael within him. I think Ponch developed into a facet of the one.

In AWAl, Darryl says to Ponch, "I recognize you -- what you're becoming." (p 215 of the pb edition.) This suggests to me that Darryl knew where Ponch was headed, but that he wasn't already an avatar of the One then.

As for Carmela - true, that Concordance entry limits her. Though... having already helped fight the Lone Power, maybe she will become a wizard anyway? And maybe she won't.
      Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

AGH! I JUST SPENT TEN MINUTES TYPING UP A DETAILED ANSWER AND THE THING DELETED IT!!!!
        *Ire* *Irk* *Irk* *Ire*
        Okay, anyways.

I concur with the middle paragraph. Before all of this he was just a normal dog- it's when he started created universes that he was becoming a power.
        Or what about a Hesper? *Waggles eyebrows*

And Carmela could still become a wizard- but I doubt it. But I tell you, there's something going on with her being so oblivious!
        When I am riding, my heart is not in my chest, but between my knees.

Comment

Huh. Carmela bein' a wizard......

*tries to picture Carmela reading in her Wizard's Manuel--in whatever form it would be in--looking up spells and tactfully bringing light upon the Lone One's dark ambition...*

That's like soooo hard to imagine...

The only thing I see with Carmela and Wizardry is if it--somehow-- _somehow_ has something to do with her 'lil eye candy baby boi, Ronan.....

Carmela could like come blastin' in at the right moment in future books like she did in W@W but that's pretty much all I can imagine.

But if she does turn into a wizard....Kit better watch out.

((then again, so should Ronan, he'd be stalked more XDDD))
          ~~~~---------------~~~~~
          sweetbox!!!~

Comment

Carmela was definitely annoying - but still really funny! She made the book much more interesting, and added some great comic relief. I didn't (and still don't) want her to become a wizard, though. I don't think she could ever be serious enough to be a wizard. Besides, she says "I don't need a wizard's manual. I'm fine just the way I am." (pg. 445) And I agree.
            "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

Comment

Hey Alida, about what you said about the guy in the bar in HW, that he was the fifth Doctor Who: How the heck do you know that?!
              Was it in a DD chat or something?
              Bright star that was, dark star that falls, in your downward arc we greet you. Do your poor worst!

Comment

while I have doubts about Carmela being annoying, I know she is hilarious, absolute best in a book comic relief ever. I have also noted that she flirts with any male wizards that kit knows, mostly to annoy him, but possibly cause she can. I would also like to note that she probably wont be bursting onto the scene in the middle of the books, but will either become a more involved character or simply make everyone laugh when they visit kit's house. after reading PM's timeline I noted the fact that not only are all the current books set in the 1980's, but that carmela is older then kit..., aggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh EVIL
                not fair at all, even if they don't really exist

sorry bout that

(\__/)
                (+'.'+) This is Bunny. show his image
                (")_(") to help him conquer the world.
                in other words, feel free to copy and paste everywhere, ALL HAIL BUNNY!!

"I reject you reality and substitute my own"-Adam Savage

"Absurdity is the spice of life, the little things that always make the one being absurd laugh, and no one else"-me, seriously

"the one who lives in darkness has the least trouble finding the light" Monday's Dusk, from Mister Monday, book 1 of the Keys to the Kingdom series, by Garth Nix

" its not the custard that kills you its the Kittens" me after reading IWC #331
                "Absurdity is the spice of life, the little things that always make the one being absurd laugh, and no one else"-me, being serious
                Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set him alight and he's warm for the rest of his life ~ Jingo, by Terry Pratchett

Comment

Who says that they don't exist!?!?
                  To me, it makes perfect sense that Carmela's older. Even though she may seem to fit the stereotypical little-sister-tagalong, I always get the feeling she does whatever she wants to, not because of admiration of her "older brother" but just because she's interested. :-) She knows how to teasingly get under his skin, and she just seems overall like the quintessence of an older sibling. Laa.

Comment

RE Dr. Who: Oh gods, let's see...it was somewhere on the forums. And I'm not sure it was the fifth Doctor, precisely, because I'm really not up on my Dr. Who trivia, but I know it was one of them. Yeah. Just look around on the HW board, it should be there somewhere. I'm not entirely sure if DD has confirmed it, per se, but it's been pretty well discussed and debated, and the general consensus seems to be that it was one of the Doctors, making a brief cameo.

I Am The (Semi-Original) Roshaun Fan. Yay for Prince Unlikely!

Comment

The timeline's left-hand column is worked out for dates in the 80s because of the two dates in Deep Wizardry (my copy of it, at least). The right-hand column is worked out so that it ends in 2005 - until I update it for AWOM.

If you're wondering what the fifth Doctor looks like, this Concordance entry just happens to have a photo of him.
                      Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

who says she's too old? wizardry might just surprise us again.

and yes, she is SO funny!!! i love her and think she will have a bigger part in this story.

and i think she had a lot of funny lines. my personal fave was when she walked in to save kit's butt.

and yeah; i think the main reason she resisted the power of the LP was because she wasn't a wizard. wizards understand that the Fairest and Fallen could have killed her; she didn't.

the chocalate thing was hilarious! but personally, i perfer ghiradelli.

Comment

That attitude is what saved her.
                          GODIVA AND ROCKY MOUNTAIN RIDGE CHOCOLATES ALL THE WAY!!!

Comment

I loved Carmela too, I'm working a picture of her right now in PhotoShop. She had me laughing a ton. DD has an awesome sense of humor.

I like Hershey. :P
                            Oops

Comment

it was kit who programmed the entertainment system, intentionally or not. she just learned to use them. she is really funny though, and I think she really does add a lot of flavor to the book. that's just me though.
                              I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                              For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

As well as literally, with the chocolate! Harr, harr. Hilarious.
                                *Slap*
                                Sorry. The pun police will be about any second now.

Comment

Working...
                                X